Just another cap bust, and amazing cool pewter button, any info on button?

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• IMG_0683.PNG
    IMG_0683.PNG
    405 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0681.PNG
    IMG_0681.PNG
    418.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0685.PNG
    IMG_0685.PNG
    447.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Upvote 40
Preservation varies from button to button, but your's looks stable. If it were mine I would seal with a few coats of Renaissance Wax and buff to a dull shine. For ultimate protection though, a flat lacquer coating will do the trick (just not my go to).

i just looked at your button on your banner finds and mine looks identical! could mine have came from sc?

Wow. Kid in a candy store about covers it. That's certainly what i'd be feeling like hunting that site. Keep 'em coming. :thumbsup:

Beautiful old silver coin. The envy of many. Nice hunt and great sight.

Incredible finds! Just another capped bust..damn! I've sealed a few pewter buttons and an intact pewter spoon with hairspray. It seems to work well and there has been no flaking or degradation over the past 3 years since I sprayed them

Incredible finds! Just another capped bust..damn! I've sealed a few pewter buttons and an intact pewter spoon with hairspray. It seems to work well and there has been no flaking or degradation over the past 3 years since I sprayed them

hairspray? thats interesting

Great finds!

Some nice crisp detail on that dime! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nice going on the silver and button, both make for a good day of hunting.

where can i get this wax?
Easy to get hold of. It's Museum quality & you really should get some. Elmer wood glue thinned out with water is another option. I only use that on flakey buttons.

Attachments

• horseriderbutton.JPG
    horseriderbutton.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 53
  • horseriderbutton2.jpg
    horseriderbutton2.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 55
6th capped bust ever? I'm still waiting for one to migrate thru circulation, lost, and then found by me in Oregon. Your hunting in my field of dreams.

Easy to get hold of. It's Museum quality & you really should get some. Elmer wood glue thinned out with water is another option. I only use that on flakey buttons.

what is your opinion on what this button is? thanks in advance

what is your opinion on what this button is? thanks in advance

I personally don't think they are Military or Militia related, but I have no source material to back-up this assumption.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back