What's new

just broke my headphones

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
4,601
Reaction score
953
Golden Thread
0
Location
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just broke my old headphones, wire must have shorted out now I have sound coming from only one side. It's time for a new set anyways. Any recommendations? Need advice, what brand do you use?

HH,
Rick
 
Hay,thrillathahunt what make of head phones are thay,If there like the white's like I have with my MXT.the cord twist in the headphone and disconects one of the wire's in there,take the pad off then with a butter knife pop the speaker out.don't let it hang by the wire's look you shoud see three wire's white red black hopefully there only one, soder it up back to the volume. Secure the cord better and WaaLaa. Our check the cord on the jack my kelly co brand broke on that end.All cut the male end off,A simple trip to radio shack for a replacement, soder ,and i'm back in buisness. Maybe it's some thing simple save some cash fix your self.But if you do buy a new pair pick the one with the highest OHM's for your money.
 
Been using Grey Ghosts for awhile now, can't say a bad word about em. Like em better than my other two or three pairs of KOSS.
 
liftloop said:
Hay,thrillathahunt what make of head phones are thay,If there like the white's like I have with my MXT.the cord twist in the headphone and disconects one of the wire's in there,take the pad off then with a butter knife pop the speaker out.don't let it hang by the wire's look you shoud see three wire's white red black hopefully there only one, soder it up back to the volume. Secure the cord better and WaaLaa. Our check the cord on the jack my kelly co brand broke on that end.All cut the male end off,A simple trip to radio shack for a replacement, soder ,and i'm back in buisness. Maybe it's some thing simple save some cash fix your self.But if you do buy a new pair pick the one with the highest OHM's for your money.

liftloop,, The ones I have are White's. Thanks for the repair tips....I'll see if I can fix them. But I relly need to get another set for back-up.
 
boogeyman said:
Been using Grey Ghosts for awhile now, can't say a bad word about em. Like em better than my other two or three pairs of KOSS.

Hey boogeyman, do you happen to know what the OHM's are on those Grey Ghost's?

Rick
 
Not off the top of my head. I think I've got the papers for em somewhere. Bought them on the way back from a hunt after being loaned a pair to try. I have a little hearing loss and they have more than enough volume to hear the really faint stuff I couldn't hear with the KOSS phones I used before.
 
I use the sunray pros. They sound great and have a lifetime warranty. Id recommend those.
 
RAT phones.
http://www.detectusa.com/

Most comfortable phones I've ever used. Excellent sound. 150 ohm. Built in limiter.
Make the White's phones your back up set...
 
went to the website, it said they were out of stock. >:(
 
I second the R.A.T. phones but that is with an Explorer. With my XT70 I prefer Grey Ghosts. It really depends on the detector as to what is best. I have heard great things about the Sunray Pros but have yet to take the plunge and buy a pair.
 
I just ordered a pair of maxiphone II's from Jimmy Sierra. I'll let you know how I like them. If its anything like the rest of his products, should be solid.

Specs:


* Limiter Circuit to prevent high volume hits
* 150 Ohms of perfectly balanced impedance
* Soft non-hardening cushions block ambient sound to 24 decibels
* "Stay-put" rotary click controls adjust volume independently for each ear.



http://www.amazon.com/Jimmy-Sierra-Product-JS-M-Maxiphone/dp/B000JYWY2Y/?tag=treasurenet01-20
 
Yeah, put the broken headphones on front-to-back and turn up the volume all the way.
Not only will you save on getting a new pair, people will leave you alone too!! :D

No, seriously, I found you do have to buy a decent pair, no matter what brand.
I tried getting away with using a $9.95 pair from my old Walkman, and it worked
for a little while . . . pulled out every time I stood up, no volume control.
I finally accidentally ripped out the wires - - Guess God was telling me
to grow up. :icon_pirat:
 
UncleVinnys said:
Yeah, put the broken headphones on front-to-back and turn up the volume all the way.
Not only will you save on getting a new pair, people will leave you alone too!! :D

Now THAT is funny LMAO!

I have not made my mind up yet.........keep those recommendations coming :coffee2:
 
Those high dollar headphones are nice but I have found that they don't last me any longer than a $20.00 set of Cal Rads.
 
I just read where my White's phones are 32 ohms, the same as the Calrad's. All the others (Gray Ghost, SunRay, Rat, Killer B's, Sierra etc.) have 150 ohms. Does the extra ohms really help?
 
The simple answer is the level of Impedence of a speaker (Its Ohm rating), determines how fast a speaker will reach full power from its source. A lower impedence number (the 32ohm whites for example) will reach full power faster than the higher 150ohm models. Think of it as a small closed room with a single speaker in it. Turn up the volume on your stereo, it will go from a soft to too loud to listen much quicker than the same single speaker in a much larger room. In the large room you have a much higher range of signal before it becomes too much.

With that said just because a speaker has a higher ohm rating does not mean it is better. Many other factors, such as speaker construction, voice coil windings, etc determine quality. The Ohm rating is just one more measurement.
 
In response to the statement about the $20 Calrads, to each his own and if you're happy, good for you. However, I've used Garretts, the White's maroon phones, several Koss and several Gray Ghosts and any of them are way way ahead of the calrads I started with. Good phones are one of the most important tools in this hobby in my opinion, so don't scrimp any more than you have to. Over the long haul you'll be happy that you went for the quality.
HH
Bill
 
UPDATE: well I fixed the maroon white's that I have. They work fine now! :>) But I definitely need a backup set. I have narrowed the candidates down to Grey Ghost or possibly Jimmy Sierra Maxiphones
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom