What's new

Just getting started... TX beaches

american_girl

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hey y'all! I got a metal detector about a year ago and have done a lot of regular detecting but I would like to start checking out some beaches. Do any of y'all know some good Texas beaches for me to start out with? Thanks. :)
 
Upvote 0
Where are you living/close to beaches? If I was you I would start close to home. Most land detectors cannot, will not work in or close to saltwater. They pick up the salt, which is a metal compound and go crazy. There are many that will work near saltwater, and of course most coils are waterproof, and some MDs are made waterproof too. Good luck!
 
Start close to home and if you have a land detector stick to the dry sand. If you venture near the wet sand it will act up and be unstable. Turning down the sensitivity is the only solution besides getting a true water detector with dual frequencies. In the mean time learn from the master.

http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/
 

Attachments

  • NORM, The Golden Olde.gif
    NORM, The Golden Olde.gif
    52.6 KB · Views: 365
  • NORM, The Golden Olde.gif
    NORM, The Golden Olde.gif
    52.6 KB · Views: 360
Texas is a BIG state, where do you live? What kind of detector do you have? Some have done well at the large fresh water lakes in TX. Galveston is a popular beach, but hunted very hard.
 
I personally like the dry sand ... and anywhere that gets good crowds will have you finding "stuff".

But after getting a PI machine , I love the wet sand. Older more interesting finds come out of the wet.

And definitely read and re-read that link from Sandman.

HH Joe
 
Well the thing is that I live in Austin, so I'd have to drive quite a ways to go beach detecting, but my family normally takes a trip to the beach during the summer anyways. So location really isn't an issue.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom