Just remembered a park that i usta visit when i was younger and....

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The site is a small hike through the woods to a secret fishing spot i found......looks like a rock wall and a little trail leading nowhere from the side of it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Who told you that you "could only MD on areas that are non vegitated sand"? Is there a sign there that says that? Is it in some city code? Or just someone giving you an easy answer that would otherwise never have paid noticed you or paid attention to you?

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Who told you that you "could only MD on areas that are non vegitated sand"? Is there a sign there that says that? Is it in some city code? Or just someone giving you an easy answer that would otherwise never have paid noticed you or paid attention to you?

i called the office of the town that i wanted to go in.......they said theyd have to look into it....and they told me that the next day...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
How did you phrase the question? If you couched it in terms of "permission", then you just open yourself up to an desk-bound bureaucrat's whims. Ie.: they can say "no", simply because they envision geeks with shovels leaving a mess. Ie.: there may be no real rule that addresses what you're asking, but they can morph ANYTHING they want to say "no". You'd have been better off to look it up for yourself (city codes are usually on-line somewhere at city web-sites). If there is nothing that specifically mentions detecting, then just go!

Personally, I don't ask or inquire about any city parks anywhere. If it's not posted, I consider myself no different than any other park user (like kite-flying, basket-ball, etc... none of them would "ask permission", right?) But if y ou absolutely feel you must "ask" a live person, don't phrase it in terms of permission, or "can I..." etc... Instead, phrase it like this: "Is there anything in any city law that addresses the subject of hobbyist metal detecing?" See the difference? Then the burden of proof is on them, to show something that actually prohibits it. 99.999% of the time, no city has anything (nor have they probably ever given the matter thought).

You may have actually gotten a "no", where, truth be told, you'd probably have been ignored and never given a second thought. Kind of like picking your nose: If you ask enough people, someone will tell you that you can't do it.

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I phrased it as "What is the legality of metal detecting in the city and county of Ozaukee, Wi." They said their city ordinance was against it aside from non vegitated beaches. I want to go so bad cause now that i can think about it i know 2-3 old homesites and that park. I also know a piece of property that is inhabitated, but has an old homestead standing about 150 feet from the house (still their property) that i plan on asking permission on.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
"They said their city ordinance was against it aside from non vegitated beaches." I bet that's not written anywhere. I mean, maybe something about "don't disturb the vegetation", at most, that they've morphed into the answer they gave you. Or did they show you something written that actually did say "no metal detecting on vegetated surfaces"? I doubt they have it.

Heck, I even heard of one guy who goes to a downtown park's dept. office, and asks "can I metal detect in the park? I will leave no trace of my digging, so don't worry". The lady hears the word "dig" (or "probe" or "recover" or whatever word he used), and thinks "hmm, let me check into that". She excuses herself from the desk, and disappears into some back manager's offices for a bit. When she returns she tells the inquirer: "Sir, you're not allowed to dig without first calling PG&E". The confused md'rs says "huh? What're you talking about?" She says "yes, haven't you seen the signs PG&E puts around for public notice, saying "Call Before You Dig"? The md'r says "but maam, I'm only going to be digging a few inches!". She says "Let me check on that". She scans the PG&E literature in front of her, and tells the guy "Sir, it doesn't specificy how deep you can or can't dig. It just says to call before ANY digging, so you'll have to comply with that on city land". The poor md'r left more confused than when he first came in. Odds are, no one cared until he asked. True story! ::)

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose my main concern is whats the worst they can do?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
The "worst they can do"? They can tell you "no" and now .... you are out of a good detecting spot >:( I mean, guess what will happen, when that same office worker drives by that same park and sees a detectorist, whom they previously maybe would never have given a second thought to? They'll think "aha! there's one of THEM, and start booting people :'( See how the psychology works? I've actually seen this type thing happen!

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as its no tickets and no misdemeanor charges im all up for it.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Most of the time I'd sooner avoid problems.

A low profile and low impact is most likely the better way to go.

Tom is correct.
Ask someone, and you are granting them the right to make decisions for you.

I would not advise anyone in open forum to violate a just law.
Be prepared to defend with a smile if you encounter objection to your peaceful activity.

HH
rmptr

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not like im gonna be taking shovels or anything. Just some light digging on the off chance i do find something. Unfortunatly im not in one of the more historical area of the US. Wish i was though....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
rmptr, I too am not advocating someone to break a law. Notice that I suggest that 99% of the time someone receives a "no", that it's just someone's whim, not a "law". I mean, what's the safe answer? Why should they be bothered? Heck, the mere fact that someone would come into their office, asking if they can do something, only implies to the bureaucrat that something must be wrong with this hobby, if you had to come in, to ask.... to begin with! :icon_scratch:

If someone is still skittish, look it up yourselves. If there is nothing specifically addressing metal detectors, then go.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Any individual that would spend his own money, and time, to recover the value of something that has been lost to society forever, should be commended, and held in high esteem, by all.

;D How that, Tom?

Best,
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread