Just starting, which detector should I purchase?

Button Lover

Jan 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well we know you are looking for buttons and you want something light, but how much do you want to invest in the detector? The fact is almost any detector will fill the bill. Frank

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to tell everyone to buy the best detector that you can afford, it is not that hard to learn if you get out and hunt.
Also try to stay with a known brand and a Company that is known .

As to the brand well everyone has there own best brand , I have found that all of the brands have some great things going for them and some things that are not the best. You just have to see what fits your budget and what you want to hunt for. Try to find an all around type that you can use most every place you go.
Look for someone in your area you can go to and check each type out, if there is no store or sales near you look for a club. this way you can see what and how each type works.

Either way you will have a great time hunting and as you get better you will change types or units most of the time as you see how it works.

Gook luck!
Rock

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had the best luck with Tesoro and White's. Get a Tesoro Cibola and dig everything to start. You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll be able to tell what some items are just by the sound.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say the less complicated, the better. I got the White's DFX, mainly cause a long time ago I set a goal to someday have enough money to buy a high dollar detector with all the bells and whistles. Actually, I can do better and find more with my White's Coinmaster that I bought in a pawn shop for $90 about 12 years ago. One dial, and you only go by the sound.

OP
OP
B

Button Lover

Jan 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Just starting, which detector should I purchase (Completed)

Well I bought a detector this afternoon, wish me well when it arrives.

kblackphoto

Nov 17, 2009
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
nokta makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
im new too, and i have an ace garret 250. i went to a metal detecting shop and the owner suggested it because it is easy to use. i like it but i do get frustrated because i havent found anything valuable or historic but its a good machine thats easy to use and i asked the same question on here before and alot of people suggested it. you will have to practive pin pointing because thats what i have most trouble with. so do a test garden on any detector you get. im still learning my machine but i like it.

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your first detector should not be the most expensive. I detected for 20 years before I got my Explorer and it was like starting over again. Start with a mid level so you don't get dejected right off the bat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread