What's new

JW Ries cobalt blue soda

  • Thread starter Thread starter COALMINER646
  • Start date Start date
C

COALMINER646

Guest
JW Ries cobalt blue soda

I found a colbalt blue soda that says JW Ries and has a large JW on the back, and is from Pottsville Pa. I can not find anything about it , Value,history ect ect. can any one help me with this one I dont get stumped much but this time I need help. please e-mail help to coalminer646@comcast.net thanks Randy
 
Re: JW Ries cobalt blue soda

Coalminer646-Been searching for an ID for a while on this huh? I guess Digger O'dell never got back with you in 2003 huh? :) A photo would help for sure.For a little more info SWR,he says it has a blob top,looks like a soda bottle (has a neck),it is blue and 7 inches tall.One side has J.W.RIES POTTSVILLE PA embossed on it.And unless this is a typo errorThe other side has J.R. embossed on it.It was found in an Birmingham,Alabama dump that dates to around 1910-1915 but he thinks it's much older than that.Is this correct Randy? Why do you think it dates much older than that? Not because of the "blob top" is it? What does the bottom look like? Is there any evidence of a pontil mark? Are there any other markings anywhere on the bottle.And is it actually cobalt blue in color? Where do the seam lines end? Are there any seam lines to begin with? Is the lettering embossed or etched? I'm thinking maybe soda water if it actually does predate the dump that you found it in.Cobalt blue was a common color in civil war and Antebellum days when it came to soda water or mineral water. Is it similar to this one?
 

Attachments

  • eagleworks.webp
    eagleworks.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 303
Re: JW Ries cobalt blue soda

:) Hey the cobalt bottle I found is just like yours, but Mine is imbossed JW Ries and you are right it is JR on the back, and yes it is cobalt bule just like.It does have a seam that stops half way up the neck. and no pontil mark that I can see.Gee I thiught I would find out about this bottle quick lol.I think its older because we never find any thing like this in this dump.I could be fudging a little about the age of the dump. I have found a few hutches from 1900 -1904.I will try to get a picture on if I can thanks for the reply
 
Re: JW Ries cobalt blue soda

wow, i sense some harshness in this one
 
Re: JW Ries cobalt blue soda

Nice looking soda bottle.
 
Re: JW Ries cobalt blue soda

It's not mine. :) Came off a website.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom