Kalif Bans Fishing

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=1]California bans fishing in drought-stricken streams[/h]http://www.redding.com/news/2014/jan/29/calif-bans-fishing-drought-stricken-streams/

CDFW Puts Closures in Effect on Some Rivers, Recommends Further Changes to the Fish and Game Commission

January 29, 2014 by ahughan

The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) has closed some waters to fishing in order to protect native salmon and steelhead from low water flows in California streams and rivers that have been significantly impacted by drought. CDFW is also recommending that the Fish and Game Commission adopt emergency regulations on other rivers.

“We fully understand the impact these closures will have on California anglers and the businesses related to fishing in California, and we really feel for them,” said CDFW Director Charlton H. Bonham. “However the science is clear. Two-thirds of the wettest part of winter is now behind us and conditions are looking increasingly grim. Under these extreme drought conditions, it is prudent to conserve and protect as many adult fish as possible to help ensure the future of fishing in California.”

CDFW has the authority under Title 14, Article 4, Section 8.00(c) to close south central coast streams to fishing from December 1 through March 7 when it determines that stream flows are inadequate to provide fish passage for migrating steelhead trout and salmon. As a result, the following streams are closed to all fishing until stream flows are sufficient to allow fish passage for returning adult steelhead and salmon (CDFW will announce any lifting of the closures):
1.Pescadero Creek and all anadromous reaches of San Mateo County coastal streams normally open for fishing, from Elliot Creek through Milagro Creek.
2.The San Lorenzo River and all its tributaries, as well as all anadromous reaches of coastal streams normally open for fishing in Santa Cruz County from the San Lorenzo River on North through Waddell Creek.
3.Aptos and Soquel Creeks (Santa Cruz County).
4.The Pajaro River and Uvas, Llagas and Corralitos Creeks (Santa Cruz, Monterey and Santa Clara counties).
5.The Carmel River and those sections of San Jose, Gibson, Malpaso and Soberanes creeks west of Highway 1.
6.The Big Sur River and those Big Sur area streams from Granite Creek to Salmon Creek west of Highway 1.
7.The main stem of the Salinas River below its confluence with the Arroyo Seco River and the Arroyo Seco River (Monterey County).

In addition, CDFW has the authority under Title 14, Article 4, Section 8.00(a) to close north coast streams to fishing from September 1 (Mad River) and October 1 (all others) through January 31 when it determines that the flow at any of the designated gauging stations is less than minimum flows stated in regulation. As a result, the following streams are subject to low flow closures through January 31 (however, CDFW is requesting this be extended to April 30 as noted in the recommendations to the Fish and Game Commission below, recommendation #3):
1.The main stem Eel River from the paved junction of Fulmor Road with the Eel River to the South Fork Eel River.
2.The South Fork of the Eel River downstream from Rattlesnake Creek and the Middle Fork Eel River downstream from the Bar Creek.
3.The main stem Van Duzen River from its junction with the Eel River to the end of Golden Gate Drive near Bridgeville.
4.The main stem Mad River from the Hammond Trail Railroad Trestle to Cowan Creek.
5.The main stem of the Mattole River from the mouth to Honeydew Creek.
6.The main stem of Redwood Creek from the mouth to its confluence with Bond Creek.
7.The main stem Smith River from the mouth of Rowdy Creek to the mouth of Patrick Creek (tributary of the Middle Fork Smith River); the South Fork Smith River from the mouth upstream approximately 1,000 feet to the County Road (George Tyron) bridge and Craig’s Creek to its confluence with Jones Creek; and the North Fork Smith River from the mouth to its confluence with Stony Creek.

Further, CDFW is recommending that the Fish and Game Commission adopt the following emergency regulations at its February 5, 2014 meeting:
1.Closure of the American River from Nimbus Dam to the SMUD power line crossing at the southwest boundary of Ancil Hoffman Park until April 30.
2.Closure of the Russian River main stem below the confluence of the East Branch of the Russian River until April 30.
3.Extension of the low flow restrictions angling closures for the north coast and central coast areas (above San Francisco Bay) through April 30.
4.Close all portions of any coastal stream west of any Highway 1 bridge until April 30.

There are still plenty of opportunities for California anglers to catch fish in the state’s rivers and streams outside of the closures listed above. Additionally, California’s coast offers substantial ocean fishing. Both are subject to current regulations already in place. For more on fishing in California, please visit Fishing in California.

Current low stream flow conditions will prevent the movement of migrating anadromous fish, primarily wild steelhead trout. Stream flows in many systems are inadequate to allow passage of spawning adults, increasing their vulnerability to mortality from predation, physiological stress and angling. Furthermore, survival of eggs and juvenile fish in these systems over the coming months is likely to be extremely low if the current drought conditions continue. These temporary angling closures on selected streams will increase survival of adult wild steelhead.

Yesterday CAL FIRE announced it hired 125 additional firefighters to help address the increased fire threat due to drought conditions, and the California Department of Public Health identified communities at risk of severe water shortages and announced efforts to assist those communities. Earlier this week, the California Natural Resources Agency, the California Environmental Protection Agency and the California Department of Food and Agriculture released the California Water Action Plan, which will guide state efforts to enhance water supply reliability, restore damaged and destroyed ecosystems and improve the resilience of our infrastructure. Governor Brown has called on all Californians to reduce their water usage by 20 percent and last week, the Save Our Water campaign announced four new public service announcements that encourage residents to conserve. Last December, the Governor formed a Drought Task Force to review expected water allocations and California’s preparedness for water scarcity. In May 2013, Governor Brown issued an Executive Order to direct state water officials to expedite the review and processing of voluntary transfers of water and water rights.

CDFW low flow closure hotlines:

North coast: (707) 822-3164
Central coast: (707) 944-5533
South central coast: (831) 649-2886 AS YE SOW-SO SHALL YE REAP...Shoes on the other foot now,hope they feel our dredge rights loss pain in return-John

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In Idaho also, worst snow pack in years (good for dredgers on fast water rivers though). I hope its a wet spring for the western half of the US.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how much banning of public fishing will have to take place before the anglers wake up and start standing beside the dredgers instead of against us?

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wonder how much banning of public fishing will have to take place before the anglers wake up and start standing beside the dredgers instead of against us?

I would hope the % of anglers against dredging would be in the minority, but I doubt thats the reality. People can have a surprisingly narrow view when it comes to THEIR pet projects.

I'd be surprised if they weren't already chipping away at the sport fishers. With the dredgers gone and no one to clean all that fishing tackle from the river bottoms, soon it will be fly fishing only, then someone will lose an eye, then fly fishing only and no hooks allowed, then at last with the group sufficiently narrowed down...

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well it is a draught. California thinks the fish just swim back to the lakes these streams come from. I mean c'mon! Its not the first time I've heard something absolutely ridiculous comming from the good ole law makers in sacamento making california even more fun to enjoy. Weeeeeeee!:sadsmiley:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Fisherman,Don't be suprised if you sleep with pigs, that you wake up, covered in mud and pig sh

Fisherman, if you sleep with pigs, you are going to wake up covered in mud and pig s%!t

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes this state is getting strange

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ban all politicians from drinking water, flushing the toilet and showering. Problem solved!

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone care to wager that they will impose more restrictions, on more activities, then fishing in the "interest" of the drought?

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets ban green lawns they use 40-50% of all water. Plus they pollute the waterways with nitrogen fertilizers and insecticides, and the air from mowers and blowers. Our Slogan can Be "Lets keep California BROWN" or "Water for Socal none for the fish"

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its Brown flush it down.............................

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
not all fisherman stand aginst dredging .. I tell ya we need to make a comedy vidieo poking fun at there logic .. All of the greenies I know are stoners .. Every last one of them ,it's there convoluted thought process that gets them there ..... They have twisted ideas of just about everything they view and limit vision of how It effects of just about everything. At the same time they believe there brilliant ! It's almost funny ... But then it's not!

Last edited:

ray in ny

Jan 21, 2006
southern tier ny
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S CLASSIC III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not all fisherman stand aginst dredging .. I tell ya we need to make a comedy vidieo poking fun at there logic .. All of the greenies I know are stoners .. Every last one of them ,it's there convoluted thought process that gets them there ..... They have twisted ideas of just about everything they view and limit vision of how It effects of just about everything. At the same time they believe there brilliant ! It's almost funny ... But then it's not!

I just read the other day that "medical" marijuana requires six gallons of water per plant per day. And there's a water shortage.
Anyway, if the creeks and rivers are too low, fishing would help relieve the low-water stress on the fish population. Banning fishing will have the opposite effect--keeping the fish population the same in declining water levels. So, the fish will just die, anyway. Like banning hunting when there is an overpopulation of animals in a limited habitat.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just read the other day that "medical" marijuana requires six gallons of water per plant per day. And there's a water shortage. Anyway, if the creeks and rivers are too low, fishing would help relieve the low-water stress on the fish population. Banning fishing will have the opposite effect--keeping the fish population the same in declining water levels. So, the fish will just die, anyway. Like banning hunting when there is an overpopulation of animals in a limited habitat.
Your right on I had the same thought on the fishing population but these folks don't really think... Not well anyway..
Watched a vidieo yesterday where these same not site the idea that you can have a successful mercury recovery program throu dredging.. Guess they were to stoned to rember that they were trying to ban dredging! It's so stupid it's almost funny ! But then it's not ! It's actually sad .. If it wasn't effecting so many folks . There process would make for a funny comedy ..

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fish I love fishing have done it my whole life, One of the first things my father taught me. I barely remember the first time I fished or went shooting. I had not been saying anything because if you guys want to rant then go for it BUT,..............I do not want there to be Zero Fish and Wildlife department..really guys could you Imagine if you could just go out and fish and hunt whenever and wherever and however you wanted..even the guy here, whoever you are, with the most integrity of any guy here .If you are here do you want to chance letting every Johhny" my boat is bigger than yours" Smith go catch and kill whatever he wants for any reason? So if it is something you like and want to see continued technically you need some one to govern and regulate. If your do not stay in your house 365 days a year you have to at least have a clue that you just cant always leave it up to people to do what's right. Not every action that the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife takes is not due to some agenda. I agree obviously that rights are being infringed and "the other side" that does have an agenda is full of crap and uses money and lawyers who most certainly do not posses integrity to try and run their game for what ever reason. I lived in the Eastern Sierra for a good while and fished some fabled waters, places generations have returned to yearly for the experience I could live daily. In the winter the creeks get very low and the fish skittish and hungry. The world around them cold and meager they save as much energy as they can for the first fly hatches, which can turn calm quiet pools in to Trout Thunderdome it is a cool thing to see. There is a season there close in October and opens in the early spring its a big deal..I was actually surprised when I moved here and could fish for trout year round...Yessss. Its not a "BAN" and it is not a dredger vs. angler issue. In Ca. and the areas mentioned the catch and release angler is way out numbered by the mmmmmmm good trout angler, make no mistake The Dept. of Wildlife likes the mmmmmmmmmmm good trout Angler much more as it keeps them working. Sometimes they have to make the decisions they are charged and authorized to make. If there is an agenda it will have a chapter on distracting and dividing so don't fall for it??????...oh, crap they probably just heard me... what was that
?????? Oh, it was just the sky falling.:thumbsup:
P.S. 6 gallons a day is over watering:skullflag:

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahahaha in ignorance there is indeed bliss as over 90% of the funds donated and allocated to kill dredging comes from--drum roll please-FISHERMEN. Go to CDFG EIR and READ and feel the love. Phoney mercury study-oops fishermen. Same multi million dollar fishermen/enviro coalition funded that and many other attempts to ban us all. Cal-Trout the worst. Just go the fish or enviro or Karuk websites to read the truths that they hold self evident,and gloat about,(luv them comments)and not illeterate bs as they bloody HATE DREDGERS . As of yesterday the American and Russian river systems are CLOSED now also-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread