Kansas gold

Korbinwelcher

Nov 13, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1415.png

Found in Kansas along the Santa Fe trail, 1852 gold dollar coin, can’t go back to find more due to new landowners which is a grump farmer 🫤. Need a treasure to chase any known treasure tales or maps in Kansas or am I dreaming?

Attachments

• IMG_1416.png
    IMG_1416.png
    513.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Upvote 20

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
View attachment 2115072
Found in Kansas along the Santa Fe trail, 1852 gold dollar coin, can’t go back to find more due to new landowners which is a grump farmer 🫤. Need a treasure to chase any known treasure tales or maps in Kansas or am I dreaming?
Dulce! I must wonder how long the person who lost that dollar searched for it. Big buck in 1852!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the gold coin, sorry to hear you lost the permissions. Sometimes the response isn't what you want to hear.
I'm very fortunate that my permission was impressed in telling him and giving 1/2 the gold value for the gold coin.

Well he recommended that I call the other land owner beside them. Gave me the # and told me to use him as a reference.
The other land owner in one block of land I mapped out 19 sites.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet. GREAT FIND can i HAVE IT ? :)

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dulce! I must wonder how long the person who lost that dollar searched for it. Big buck in 1852!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
Truth be told, the date on the coin probably doesn't have anything to do with the date it was lost, could have been lost all the way up until 1933 when we came off the gold standard right ? Although I'm sure it wasn't that late in the game...

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is a fairly soft metal, with the details your coin has, I would say it was lost fairly close to the mint date. Doesn't look like it was rubbed by other coins in a pocket or pouch for very long.
This is true, but realistically most people did not carry gold coins around to be worn down, only when they needed them maybe they carried them with ? So they could have been in a box being moved and one lost... 40 years after minting....

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
US gold coins are part copper, just like silver coins. Believe it or not, a US gold coin is actually harder than a US silver coin. You’ve seen on movies someone biting a gold coin to see if it’s real? Biting a gold coin is like biting a rock! They bite it to see if it’s soft and made of lead. Someone posted a chart on a coin forum I frequent that showed the hardness of alloys and the gold with copper came in harder than the silver with copper. Counterintuitive but true!

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any other landowners nearby you can ask permission?

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had never heard this, but ....

(copied from another web site)

Early U.S. gold coins (1795-1834) consisted of a composition of .9167 gold and .0833 silver and copper. From 1834-1837 the composition was .8992 gold and .1008 silver and copper. In 1837 gold coin composition was changed to .900 gold and .100 copper and that formula continued until the cessation of gold coinage in 1933.

Modern U.S. commemorative gold Eagles and Half Eagles, commencing with the 1984 Olympic $10 and the 1986 Statue of Liberty $5, continue the .900 gold, .100 copper composition of the earlier coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread