Karl von Mueller, National Prospector's Gazette and the history of treasure hunting

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Just wanted to share a wonderful experience with my friends, particularly those that are interested in buried treasure, mining, folklore or history. My friend Terry Carter recently conducted a phone interview where I was given the opportunity to talk about Karl von Mueller, The National Prospector's gazette, a brief history of treasure hunting and last but not least, my recently published book: Selections from the National Prospector's Gazette Volume 1.

It's lengthy interview and is absolutely ambitious in the amount of material and topics discussed. I don't expect many folks to spend the whole hour listening, but hopefully a few of the folks on my friends list will lend their time and their ear and enjoy something that I myself enjoy enormously.

Terry Carter is the same individual I collaborated with on my Montezuma and LUE map videos and is perhaps my oldest friend in Utah stretching back to my earliest days in showing my interest in buried treasure and Utah folklore. Terry has a lot of fabulous original content on his site and I'd encourage you to take a look around there as well.

I welcome feedback...here on FB, on the YouTube comments, or in email. Enjoy!

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed watching Terry Carter's interview with you the other night on YouTube. I applaud your efforts to keep Karl von Mueller's work alive and circulating among newer treasure hunters. I'm currently reading his Treasure Hunter's Manual 7th Edition again since it's been nearly 35 years since I first read it. I sold my treasure hunting library in 1988 to finance a gold mining trip to northern California and my old copies of his book were in it. I bought another copy of it at a recent meeting of our Central Texas Treasure Club as we were auctioning off and selling our club library since no members were using it. It's amazing how much valuable information I'm getting from it this time around, now that I have those extra decades of experience under my belt.
~Texas Jay

Fall 2017 015.JPG

OP
OP
R

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Texas Jay, I appreciate the feedback. I've been contemplating sending post cards advertising the book to treasure clubs as I know having a club library was something most clubs used to do, wasn't real sure how popular that approach still was. I really want to get Volume 2 complete so that I can more thoroughly focus on promoting the books, just makes more sense to promote two books instead of one particularly since the second book is so close to being ready to sell. That 7th edition you're showing there is the original I believe, definitely not the Ram one but I'm not sure if yours is the one published by Karl or by the 8 States Association.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the news. Ordered one tonight. Used to have a bunch of Exanimo Express. Always wished I kept them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Randy, thanx for posting that. I love vintage metal detector nostalgia.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas Jay, I appreciate the feedback. I've been contemplating sending post cards advertising the book to treasure clubs as I know having a club library was something most clubs used to do, wasn't real sure how popular that approach still was. I really want to get Volume 2 complete so that I can more thoroughly focus on promoting the books, just makes more sense to promote two books instead of one particularly since the second book is so close to being ready to sell. That 7th edition you're showing there is the original I believe, definitely not the Ram one but I'm not sure if yours is the one published by Karl or by the 8 States Association.

You're welcome, Randy. My first copy of the book, that I sold many years ago, was from Ram and it's the most common one around from what I can tell. This one was published in 1966 by The Gold Bug, Box 588, Alamo, California. The copyright is by Gladyce M. Miller who I believe was Karl's wife.
~Texas Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread