What's new

Kessel and Howard co. Points

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Ok, just to try to clear a few things up for get the point and whoever else has any interest. The piece I have does have deeper notches, but in the same respect, this type can have a straight base too. Just keep in mind, this is what Greg has to say about the Howard Co, and Kessel and not me. :-)

Perino's Howard County
DSCN3218.jpg


My Howard Co. point

DSCN3341.jpg


Perino's Kessel

DSCN3219.jpg


My Kessel, and another fav.

DSCN2739.jpg


What Dwayne said about my point.

DSCN3217.jpg
 
Upvote 0
I like yours better than the examples given.
 
Your Howard County point is pretty classic for the type. They do seem to be a northern equivalent of the Cache river with a much wider temporal distribution. From the examples I have held, most seem to be a bit more slender than the Cache River as well. Both are thin, punch notched and very well made.

I'm not sure I can agree with the other being a Kessel, not being from that far west anyways. They are found in Ohio and the northeastern states. There is a similar form that is found in Indiana & Illinois and for the life of me I can't think of the name of it right now (I could have last week).

Very nice Knife River point! It appears far too large for the typical plains side notch and I think you may be too far west (ND?) for Lookingbill, so I'm assuming it's a Long Creek point?
 
Last edited:
"I'm not sure I can agree with the other being a Kessel, not being from that far west anyways. They are found in Ohio and the northeastern states."

Like I said, everyone has an opinion. This one was from Illinois.

"There is a similar form that is found in Indiana & Illinois and for the life of me I can't think of the name of it right now (I could have last week). "

If you think of it, please let me know will you?

"Very nice Knife River point! It appears far too large for the typical plains side notch and I think you may be too far west (ND?) for Lookingbill, so I'm assuming it's a Long Creek point? "

Thanks, it's from north dakota, it has a slight restoration, (one ear). And I would just call it a very nice plains knife. North Dakota is to far west for Lookingbill???? I don't think so.

Joel
 
And I would just call it a very nice plains knife. North Dakota is to far west for Lookingbill???? I don't think so.

Joel

Sorry about that, I meant east, not west. The Long Creek basically being the eastern (Sask., ND) equivalent.
 
Joel
You need to get 37 to sketch that Howard co point for you. It is worthy. Interesting and good research.
 
Joel
You need to get 37 to sketch that Howard co point for you. It is worthy. Interesting and good research.

It certainly does show it's flaking well.

I think what Mr. Perino said about this type rarely being found in anything but "like new condition" is very interesting.
 
Kinda hard to argue with Perino. That is a strange statement unless they were often a type used interments. We used to find dispersed points in a like new condition after floods long ago.
 
It makes you wonder. The deep concave leaving the base looking like a graham cave. I totally see the difference with the punched notch but it really makes you wonder since that is really the only difference between the Howard and kessel vs graham cave. There definitely was some association, who knows maybe a graham cave is a used kessel point or Howard point. This is all just theories but what if it is a worn notch and resharpened Howard or kessel that created graham cave points? Or first it was kessel then Howard county and then graham cave and all of it was through the sharpening process. Just some food for thought
 
Last edited:
Bump!
had to drag this up for just one more.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom