OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Were though dams already there or did you construct them? GG's is huge! That must have taken some time.

Well, GG had been there for hours so he may have built his from scratch. Mine had been started by someone else, I just added onto it :)

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, GG had been there for hours so he may have built his from scratch. Mine had been started by someone else, I just added onto it :)
That's a lot of time and energy spent but makes sense with the ground your working.

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now that is a dam (good time).

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a lot of time and energy spent but makes sense with the ground your working.

He builds his dam by taking the larger rocks off of his dig area into a dam so it AIDS his digging.

Mine is built up with tailings as I run the sluice.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455522655.230769.jpg
-30 and -50 gold including a fair bit of -100 from my 2/14 outing with Grizzly Gremlin. 0.010 grams. Sure hope GG did better. Of course he was there longer and I ran around sampling quite a bit :)

Last edited:

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
-30 and -50 gold including a fair bit of -100 from my 2/14 outing with Grizzly Gremlin. 0.010 grams. Sure hope GG did better. Of course he was there longer and I ran around sampling quite a bit :)

Running around sampling? Sounds like you broke your own rule: "move material"!
Still, that's nice looking gold even if it's only 0.01 grams. At least it tips the scales beyond 0.00!

- Brian

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
It was a great afternoon. I figured out that my 30+ color sample was CONTAMINATED!! By other gold... I used a pan that had some gold in it already. I forgot that the pan in my truck had 2 samples panned down to just a little black sand. Ugh the search will continue.. Sorry for the mis info!
Needless to say I think I fell short of my .5 gram again... The good news is that there is plenty of ground to sample. Great to be digging in February though!
I'll be sampling every single gravel patch\bar from Pecos to the South Platte, and up and down the Platte.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It was a great afternoon. I figured out that my 30+ color sample was CONTAMINATED!! By other gold... I used a pan that had some gold in it already. I forgot that the pan in my truck had 2 samples panned down to just a little black sand. Ugh the search will continue.. Sorry for the mis info!
Needless to say I think I fell short of my .5 gram again... The good news is that there is plenty of ground to sample. Great to be digging in February though!
I'll be sampling every single gravel patch\bar from Pecos to the South Platte, and up and down the Platte.

And I'll be there when you want to further investigate a spot :-)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Running around sampling? Sounds like you broke your own rule: "move material"!
Still, that's nice looking gold even if it's only 0.01 grams. At least it tips the scales beyond 0.00!

- Brian

Well true. After figuring out it wasn't the hot spot we hoped for, I decided to see what I could learn about that area. So I did 4 bulk samples of 10 gallons each at various points from one end of the bar toward the other. From that I can say the head end was richer (as the books would suggest is typical). It's all good info for my blog so worth the effort.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well true. After figuring out it wasn't the hot spot we hoped for, I decided to see what I could learn about that area. So I did 4 bulk samples of 10 gallons each at various points from one end of the bar toward the other. From that I can say the head end was richer (as the books would suggest is typical). It's all good info for my blog so worth the effort.

You know me by now, Kevin: I like sampling, and the "science" or maybe the "exploration" aspect of the hobby.
Maybe when I'M retired I'll be able to sit still in one place long enough to actually gather some meaningful data!
- Brian

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kevin did exactly what he should have. Sample,sample sample. Dig only when you know what your digging. You can read every book in the world and you will learn much less then boots on the ground.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1273181

Man, those camera skills. That is by far and away the largest and best looking .01 I've ever seen

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You know me by now, Kevin: I like sampling, and the "science" or maybe the "exploration" aspect of the hobby.
Maybe when I'M retired I'll be able to sit still in one place long enough to actually gather some meaningful data!
- Brian

IDK about that. I've been retired almost 4 years and most every time I get boots on the ground, the plan of the day suddenly disappears and I'm a kid in a candy store. :laughing7: And more often than not, that plan doesn't work either. :BangHead:

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I snuck out for almost an hour of digging today with my Bazooka Sniper and got lucky. 0.27 grams in total and that big guy is 0.03 g all by himself. A true CO picker from metro Denver!!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455856183.145793.jpg

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread