Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out this morning for several hours to help test a new invention by Red Wilcox (co-inventor of the Gold Cube). Can't show any pics until they file the patent but I've got a prototype of my own and I can say it works!

Anyway, we went up to Big Bend and were amazed by how low the water was. The spot I set up my Bazooka Prospector (with you GPDave) was high and dry this time! We were able to ford the river and do some sampling on the inside of the up stream bend. My first sample pan had a pretty flake in it :) ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419232014.795688.jpg Anyway, here's me, Don and Red carefully posing so the new invention isn't visible ;)

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out this morning for several hours to help test a new invention by Red Wilcox (co-inventor of the Gold Cube). Can't show any pics until they file the patent but I've got a prototype of my own and I can say it works!

Anyway, we went up to Big Bend and were amazed by how low the water was. The spot I set up my Bazooka Prospector (with you GPDave) was high and dry this time! We were able to ford the river and do some sampling on the inside of the up stream bend. My first sample pan had a pretty flake in it :) View attachment 1095368 Anyway, here's me, Don and Red carefully posing so the new invention isn't visible ;)

How about a hint....hint!:laughing7: I sure like his hand dredge, I have 6+foot extentions to "clean culverts"
Go Red!!:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
wait what? as in the pipes that flow under the roads?

Sure Ducky! Some culverts are "self cleaning" and won't build up much in the way of heavies over time but all are worth testing. Out your way they generally have the advantage of not pissing anyone off if you clean them out (arguably a public service!) but it's still good to know who's land you're on. I've sampled a few in metro Denver and been disappointed, your results may vary.

FYI in western states a culvert on a mining claim contains minerals owned by the claimant. No touch.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most of ours are self cleaning I believe but I'll look around. Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin's own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

Here's the gold from our invention testing. It sure grabs the small stuff. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419658148.922471.jpg 0.05 grams :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...thanks and true P70, especially considering we were just sampling and testing. Red's invention will change the way I do some things :) although the real production comes via the Bazooka as usual!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Got out today to sample a new spot. Toes went numb and was done in less than an hour but gathered good data. That's what prospecting is right? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419716931.292714.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419716966.027236.jpg

0.02 grams in my sample...better than expected!

Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That hour hopefully made it a great day. Looks like the sun was shining to top it off. Like the bucket for the last part of your wing dam next to the sluice for easy cleaning! I'm prospecting vicariously through your days or hours out!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Very Nice! My day was hockey tourney and flex-sealing my waders heheh. Glad you got out!
I got my waders a size too big, I put on two sets of woolen socks, seems to work great.

Wish I had thought to get oversized waders...that is definitely my limiting factor on winter digging :( Anyway, I had a good time breaking ice and just loved the bright sunny day :D

Alaskagold, thanks for the comment on the bucket, I had to be creative due to a lack of decent sized surface rocks in that little gravel bar. (Lack of bigger rocks = bad sign regarding good gold) The water in my bucket had a layer of ice on it fairly quickly! Brr!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hey all, I'm thinking about buying a long bed, crew cab, dually, 4WD pickup. That's a LOT of wheelbase. Anyone have experience driving something like this in the back country? My four wheeling experience is with shorter vehicles: a Wrangler, Cherokee and a Ford Bronco and I'm worried the super long wheelbase and wide stance will dramatically limit my ability to get around...yes, no or what?

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin. Yes..."dramatically limit" is a good choice of words. I had a 1978 Ford Bronco which was bullet proof in AK. But it didn't tow my travel trailer very well. So I sold it and got my first big long bed crew cab 4x4. It was a 1987 diesel Ford F350. I climbed a six foot hill once and high centered on the frame...had to get pulled off by my boss and he had a van.:sadsanta: And it was no fun turning around on Jeep trails either. I sold it and bought my current rig... a 3 door 1997 Ford F150 Supercab. It's a little over 21' long and it towed my 31' travel trailer quite well across the country. But here at home, we ALWAYS use the 2000 2 door Explorer for prospecting. I used the pick up once last year with mountain on the side and cliff on the other and it bothered me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jeff, that's exactly what I'm afraid of. Not sure what to do as the plan was to get a truck and truck camper to get out into the back country for longer stints....prospecting for me and photography for my wife. She thinks the 4wd truck & camper is a great idea, which initially got me excited but now I'm worried she'll be disappointed and wish we'd just gotten a nice Class B motor home...

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With your wife traveling with you, and depending on space and size, a class b coach and a jeep or other short wheel based vehicle in tow could be the best of both worlds. I myself drive a standard cab ranger when I go out. It handles most terrain very well although its just 2wd, so somethings i have to hit a little hard, and somethings I just stay away from.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kevin,

Having a long wheel base is a hindrance on tight mountain roads/trails. I run an extended cab 2000 Dodge Diesel. Many times I'll have to go quite a way further on the mountain roads out here to turn around than I would with a shorter wheel base. A ten point turn on a narrow road that is steeper than a cows face on both sides is stressful.

Another concern I would have is you contemplating a dually rear end. We have three Ford, 1 ton duallys where I work for the Ca. Transportation Dept. In the wintertime we would rather have the single wheels in the rear. Out here in the coastal northwest corner of California we tend to have a heavy wet snow. We feel the duallys do not perform as well.

I would take my time in selecting your new rig. Asking many folks their opinion will be very helpful.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions