Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great Job Kevin! Man that is some pretty gold.

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Update on yesterday's outing:
First, the fine gold dancing out of the -50 material. Learn to do the shake and tap method folks!

View attachment 1083093
Second the clean gold in the little soap dish I use for final cleaning

View attachment 1083092

Third, the weight. A new in- town record for me...in about 1.5 hrs of digging

View attachment 1083091

...you won't be surprised to learn my wife just suggested we change our schedule for the rest of today...I'm heading right back to that spot!!!

i'd be happy with that take for 9 hrs of Shoveling, that gold must be worth $25, get a dredge in there and you'll kill it

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks everyone, I love getting to share my excitement with you all!

No dredges or other motorized gear allowed...this is Open Space park land you see. I went back today and got another couple hours in between the morning snow flurries and the afternoon snow storm lol!

Oh and usually this much gold would take about 9 hours in my regular spots Kiddo. This is a real live certified honey hole!

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin that's an excellent take in record time. Congrats on your hard work and effort.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man, although i havent been out in quite some time, why do i never find spots like that!?

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man, although i havent been out in quite some time, why do i never find spots like that!?
yeah, right? Seriously, I know there are hot spots in metro Atlanta so more exploring and sampling is in order.

Note to all: when I sample, a test pan that shows even a speck is followed with a "bulk sample" inspired by how the pro's work. I will throw my Bazooka Sniper in the water and shovel for 30 minutes to get a real sense of the values in that spot...then move on if unimpressed.

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's some beautiful gold! In record time to boot. Just amazing that is in town.i wouldn't get much work done if I knew that could be waiting a few blocks away!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, when you do your FIRST sample pan, how far down do you go? The first 6 inches, 1ft, 2ft, etc?
right on top usually
Wow that's some beautiful gold! In record time to boot. Just amazing that is in town.i wouldn't get much work done if I knew that could be waiting a few blocks away!
agreed, makes it hard to focus on other stuff this week!

As I mentioned I got back to that spot the next day (Sunday) for another two hours. I'm happy to say I got 0.85 grams in the second trip!

Here's my set up on Sunday in the same spot but you can see the new hole just downstream of the dam, prior day was just upstream.
image-3970065099.jpg

image-2282248683.jpg
Me in my Bazooka hat and shirt. The weather was really nice for a while in between snow storms...got up to 50F and sunny!

image-775947725.jpg
More Gold! ...over 1.5 grams for the weekend, in about 3.5 hrs of digging, maybe a little less. :D

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So let's say you moved a yard...1.5g @ $38.47 per = better than the Hoffmans are doing!

$57.69 per yard:)

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's stealing! (almost) wow, nice haul.
I'm going to have to rethink this river thing. Maybe santa is going to bring me a sniper... We'll see :)
Damn, that's a nice take for the time put in.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So let's say you moved a yard...1.5g @ $38.47 per = better than the Hoffmans are doing! $57.69 per yard:)
Actually I figure I moved about 1/2 yard so the values at that site are even better!

That's stealing! (almost) wow, nice haul. I'm going to have to rethink this river thing. Maybe santa is going to bring me a sniper... We'll see :) Damn, that's a nice take for the time put in.
Definitely my best ever. Sadly that spot is now almost cleaned out :(. FWIW, I've been able to make a Prospector work in the little creeks too although the Sniper is way easier to get set up right of course due to the limited flow requirements.

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Currently in Arden, NC. Previously in SoCal, NoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1084173
Me in my Bazooka hat and shirt. The weather was really nice for a while in between snow storms...got up to 50F and sunny!

Kevin, in the pic with your Bazooka hat and shirt on, can you tell me at what angle you have the Sniper set at?

Also the next time you set it up like that, would you mind taking pics at different angles and maybe level with the dam etc. so I can get a better understanding. Thanks so much!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sherry, it was pretty steep. I will do some measurements next time, sure. Meanwhile remember my advice: steep enough so the energy of the water+Gravity is at least enough to clear a golf ball sided rock ( not golf ball shaped, just generally at least as big) and you'll be good. I often run it even faster/ steeper! Remember, the bigger risk is running it too flat not too steep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread