Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sherry, it was pretty steep. I will do some measurements next time, sure. Meanwhile remember my advice: steep enough so the energy of the water+Gravity is at least enough to clear a golf ball sided rock ( not golf ball shaped, just generally at least as big) and you'll be good. I often run it even faster/ steeper! Remember, the bigger risk is running it too flat not too steep.

need I remind you we frequently have smaller creeks here in Georgia, and any good gold left is locked in gnarly clay

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
need I remind you we frequently have smaller creeks here in Georgia, and any good gold left is locked in gnarly clay
ah yes, I have heard of this Georgia clay :( The creek I've been working has a soft black and gray clay as it's false bedrock. It is soft enough to come up easily on the shovel which is a big pain. I have broken up and dissolved quite a bit of it as I've worked...on the theory the top inches of it will be gold bearing since the gravel right above it has great gold.

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice looking gold, there Kevin. Also a nice looking dam in the creek.

I had thought about getting out on a creek or at least working some cons at home this past weekend. But two things made that hard to do. First there were the papers I had to grade to give back to the cadets before Thanksgiving Break. Barely got that done. Then there was the fact that our wedding anniversary was this past weekend. Over 40 years. We spent our 25th in Paris, courtesy of the US Air Force assignment to Germany. This one we spent just hung out, seeing grandkids and going to Marigold's here in Colorado Springs. Great restaurant with the only really decent French bagets here in the States; at least the only place I have ever been able to find.

So, I didn't process any cons and I did not make it to a creek with my Bazooka 48" Miner. Still, all-in-all, a very good weekend.

Kevin, tomorrow is supposed to be in the 60's, so are you hitting the creek on Thanksgiving Day? :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice looking gold, there Kevin. Also a nice looking dam in the creek. I had thought about getting out on a creek or at least working some cons at home this past weekend. But two things made that hard to do. First there were the papers I had to grade to give back to the cadets before Thanksgiving Break. Barely got that done. Then there was the fact that our wedding anniversary was this past weekend. Over 40 years. We spent our 25th in Paris, courtesy of the US Air Force assignment to Germany. This one we spent just hung out, seeing grandkids and going to Marigold's here in Colorado Springs. Great restaurant with the only really decent French bagets here in the States; at least the only place I have ever been able to find. So, I didn't process any cons and I did not make it to a creek with my Bazooka 48" Miner. Still, all-in-all, a very good weekend. Kevin, tomorrow is supposed to be in the 60's, so are you hitting the creek on Thanksgiving Day? :)
Sounds like a great weekend! And no, my kids are home for the week so my schedule is all about them for now...no prospecting in the plans. marigolds sounds nice, I think I mentioned that we spent time living in southern Belguim which is definitely in the good French bread zone so a trip to Marigolds may be smart for us...might be fun to meet up as couples for brunch or something sometime :)

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like a great weekend! And no, my kids are home for the week so my schedule is all about them for now...no prospecting in the plan!

Well, take them along! :)

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
they aren't as crazy as you and I...

I understand that. My kids went once (both girls) and that was it. My oldest grandson wasn't interested if it wasn't connected to a game console of some sort. Someone on here was talking about making a gold game--that might get him interested (at least in the game). My younger grandkids seem to be interested but still a bit young to hit the river or the creek.

So we are also staying home and enjoying family! I hope your Thanksgiving with your family was wonderful.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like a great weekend! And no, my kids are home for the week so my schedule is all about them for now...no prospecting in the plans. marigolds sounds nice, I think I mentioned that we spent time living in southern Belguim which is definitely in the good French bread zone so a trip to Marigolds may be smart for us...might be fun to meet up as couples for brunch or something sometime :)

Yes, Marigolds would be nice.Marigold Cafe and Bakery :: French Bistro :: Official Colorado Springs Website You can look online at what they have to offer.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin's own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

Today's gold, 30 min digging in my honey hole...on the outside of the curve in the stream :) ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418087876.388453.jpg measures out at 1/5 gram...more than it looks like. I figure I spent 30 cents in gas and pulled $7 in gold in 1/2 hr digging :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been wondering where you've been...guess it ain't tapped out yet ay? Nicely done again...Nice and chunky :love10: Can't wait for the weight...ain't it great when a plan comes together?:thumbsup:

Hey Jeff! I'm thrilled by the fact that it's not tapped out. I very carefully only dug on the "wrong" side of the creek to see how I'd do. Great result and yes, it means there's a decent amount more material yet to dig :-D this spot is going to be my secret honey hole thru the winter I think!

PS I updated the original post with the weight...

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice clean gold! Beautiful, looks like a great winter project cleaning up that area. No point leaving any of that gold lying around out there. Great job like always.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Today's gold, 30 min digging in my honey hole...on the outside of the curve in the stream :) View attachment 1089794 measures out at 1/5 gram...more than it looks like. I figure I spent 30 cents in gas and pulled $7 in gold in 1/2 hr digging :)

That's really nice, Kevin! Using the Sniper? I will probably have to buy or build a smaller Bazooka sluice; the 48" Miner is likely too big to run now except in the river.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes Dave , that was with the 30" Sniper. I don't dump a whole shovel full at a time into it like you can with the bigger models, I sort of shimmy the unclassified material off the end of e shovel so as to avoid overloading the sluice. That said, it still eats paydirt faster than any riffle sluice and NO classifying, oh and quite lightweight... so it's great when you have to carry it a ways or when water flows are low. It's one of the best gifts I've ever received, thanks Bazooka!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Got out yesterday 12/17 just before sundown at my top secret honey hole
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419039883.781331.jpg

EDIT: weighed out at 0.70 grams...awesome for 1.5 hours total time on the creek

Last edited:

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, the gift that keeps on giving. Or the hole that keeps on giving I guess

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I got out today too, love this 50 degree and sunshine weather!

Today I spent part of my time moving my dam 6-8 feet upstream so I wouldn't have to walk back and forth as I shovel...having dug all the material from the dam to upstream that far. I just tossed all the rocks from one spot to the other. The upstream material doesn't look as good but we will see. At the least it'll be nice to be running my tailings into the hole I just dug as I won't have to clear tailings from the end of the sluice for a while.

EDIT: I did pretty well despite the time spent moving the dam. Got 0.48 grams this time. This hole has produced better than anything else I've seen...can't wait to see what happens next :D

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
man I wish I lived in a state with gold laying all around

Top Member Reactions