Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421390331.951209.jpg yup I got to enjoy the late day sunshine in my honey hole today. Good times with my Prospector :)

Leonard F.

Feb 11, 2013
Arvada, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin,

An off-topic question for you: in all of your wanderings around the metro Denver streams have you seen a good stand of river Birch? I am looking for a small amount of Birch bark for a project.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good question and no I haven't. Lots of willow and cottonwood but not much else. That said, if I was searching, I'd float Clear Creek thru Wheatridge. Lot of old forgotten orchards and planted areas there.

Leonard F.

Feb 11, 2013
Arvada, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good question and no I haven't. Lots of willow and cottonwood but not much else. That said, if I was searching, I'd float Clear Creek thru Wheatridge. Lot of old forgotten orchards and planted areas there.

Thanks Kevin. I ride my bike along Clear Creek during the warmer months -- now would be a better time to spot some I guess.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin's own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

Gold from last Thursday: ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421859189.672117.jpg
A couple nice flakes and a bit of merc coated but less than I hoped for considering where I was digging. Still, had a great time winter prospecting!

Total weight 0.07 grams. Not terrible for digging the outside of a bend in the creek I guess but I've been spoiled by my recent success in this creek :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes Jeff, I'd say average size is a bit higher in this hole. I dug all the way to the clay creek bottom so there's no deeper to go in this case.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you better punch through that clay and check underneath! <3
Heavy heavy pans,
P70

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if his clay is anything like ours here, he is going to have about 3 - 8 feet of clay to punch through...

i have dug down 5+ feet in nothing but clay and never saw any change in material at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did test the clay and the sand underneath it (then hit sandstone so I think the sand is decomposed sandstone)...anyway, no gold in those layers.

Leonard F.

Feb 11, 2013
Arvada, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, are you aware of any spots in CO where a guy can "snipe" the river bottom? Areas with exposed bedrock, and no over-burden?

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The best sniping I'm aware of is on the South Platte just south of Evans Blvd and just near 8th Ave. Both places have areas of very, very hard clay with cracks and such exposed. I met a guy at Evans one time who told me he comes back every couple of months with his turkey baster to clean out the same little area of cracks and he was doing very well!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out again today for an hour in the sunshine. A glance at my cons looked pretty good. Photos to come.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin's own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422516703.737107.jpg ...gold from yesterday and
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422516736.572341.jpg ...from today.

Same creek, yesterday was midstream, today was inside curve. Even in an 8' wide creek it matters!

Update: mid creek 0.22 grams, inside bend 0.78 grams so two hours in two days for exactly 1.00 grams...I'll take that anytime!

Last edited:

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now that is piles of gold!!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm curious as to whether you are working spots, there in the Denver metro area, where you shovel directly or do you collect in buckets and dump or both? Am i right in assuming most of your feed is from submerged material? Oh, by the way, impressive finds.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread