What's new

KEY?

jrwill56

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2008
Messages
422
Reaction score
194
Golden Thread
0
Location
Chowan Co.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 2000
White mark 11
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
found this today 18th century site. Its about 2 1/4 " long octigon in shape the blade part is 1/2 " wondering if it is some sort of key fo a clock or handcuffs?
 

Attachments

  • dec.inp.webp
    dec.inp.webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 472
  • dec.inp 051.webp
    dec.inp 051.webp
    15.1 KB · Views: 457
  • dec.inp 052.webp
    dec.inp 052.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 458
Looks like a old weldding head or brazing head.
 
Upvote 0
If its iron, it looks like a chisel.
 
Upvote 0
soldiering iron tip??


Tim
 
Upvote 0
ron lord said:
Looks like a old weldding head or brazing head.
doublet2a said:
soldiering iron tip??


Tim
Is it ferrous? Soldering or brazing tips are not ferrous.
 
Upvote 0
It appears to be a "hardie tool" for a blacksmiths anvil. Anvils have holes in the rear of the top for holding tools called hardies. The tool you have would have been a cutoff hardie. Tony

PS: There were many different sizes and shapes.
 
Upvote 0
Tony in SC said:
It appears to be a "hardie tool" for a blacksmiths anvil. Anvils have holes in the rear of the top for holding tools called hardies. The tool you have would have been a cutoff hardie. Tony
thanks--i feel that at one time there was a blacksmiths shop in this area.
 
Upvote 0
I think is solved hardie tool.
 

Attachments

  • solved check.gif
    solved check.gif
    589 bytes · Views: 278
  • solved check.gif
    solved check.gif
    589 bytes · Views: 276
Upvote 0
I'm not sure if it is solved. :icon_scratch:
The 'thingy' is quite a lot smaller than the hardie on that link from Ramitt.

The thingy's also octagonal, as opposed to the squared hardie.

Mike
 
Upvote 0
I think it more closely resembles the brace end of a broken brace bit
Leo
 

Attachments

  • 1088204028sZA6Ke.webp
    1088204028sZA6Ke.webp
    4.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 1088204028sZA6Ke2.webp
    1088204028sZA6Ke2.webp
    2.5 KB · Views: 243
Upvote 0
GALT 1073 said:
I think it more closely resembles the brace end of a broken brace bit
Leo
the end is not centered?
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
I'm not sure if it is solved. :icon_scratch:
The 'thingy' is quite a lot smaller than the hardie on that link from Ramitt.

The thingy's also octagonal, as opposed to the squared hardie.

Mike

I missed the dime in the first pic. I have no clue how small they made them,,,, or what shapes. I was going off Tonys lead.
 
Upvote 0
I've just been re-searching for something similar. :icon_scratch: :icon_study: :tongue3:
Can we see a couple of pics from other angles and with a better idea of scale - next to a measure, or in hand :thumbsup:
Cheers, Mike
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom