What's new

Keys to the Castle?

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2007
Messages
2,917
Reaction score
85
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Well I just couldn't stand it. I had to come up and see where Sage was hunting and what he was finding. We were searching the area where the NC button was found and found what seems to be a key. Anybody recognize this type of key? Does it open a lock or is to a valve of some kind? I'm not much of a key person so I need some help here. Ideas?

Thanks,

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • Key2.webp
    Key2.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 428
  • Key3.webp
    Key3.webp
    75.5 KB · Views: 410
Daryl that looks like a door key to me but then again I am no expert on keys, lol

Hope you are doing fine. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Hi Mike,

Hanging in there. Having to come all the way to NC to hunt. LOL

Church Key?

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
My guess it's a jailers key..
Ray
 
Upvote 0
I've worked in a jail with keys and they are bigger than that. The ones we used were brass also. Looks like a key to one of those old big heavy oak doors? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a door key to one of the great old plantations down south. :thumbsup:

Just a guess.
 
Upvote 0
Certainly a door key. Nice find! Probably mid-1800s.


And good to see you back on here, AeroMike. :thumbsup:



Best Wishes,



Buckleboy
 
Upvote 0
That is what is commonly referred to as a skeleton key. Don't know the age but they were very common to the 20th century for house doors and are still used for roll top desks and curio cabinets
 
Upvote 0
Hi Galt 1073,

I remember my grandmother's house had skeleton keys. They would open her door and any other door that required one if I'm remembering it right. If you lost one, you just bought another at the hardware store. They were much smaller and the little "teeth" "pins" "?" that would turn the inside of the lock were just straight down and notched. This key is about 4-5 times that size and has "teeth" "grooves" "notches" protruding out on each side. So is this key one that would open other doors as well and not be matched to the lock and therefore called a "skeleton" key?

Thanks,

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Yes it is called a skeleton key. The large ones like that were usually for jail gates, or large storage doors. They were usually made of Brass at a certain time era. But jailhouses were the main primary use for them. "skeleton" meaning dead bodies in the jail cells. I would estimate that one to be early to mid 1800's
 
Upvote 0
Thanks. I've been around for about 1600 post but better late than never. :wink:

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Nice key. For a house front door lock. Late 1800's - early 1900's. Warded, before pin tumbler locks. The center is rusted over. The "notches" passed wards at the keyhole and the inside of the lock. It's for a high end lock of the time.

TimC
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom