What's new

Killer quartzie today help with it?

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
1,492
Reaction score
895
Golden Thread
0
Location
md
Found this while working near Baltimore today. Sitting in a tiny stream. I was pumped to pull it out. My biggest quartz to date besides chunky knives. If this is a knife then its one if the best ones I've seen from around here that wasn't black flint or jasper. Well made and basally thinned. I tried to get a pic of the base to show it but with quartz it's hard. What do you all think? Knife? Point? Type? I don't have another like it. It's only thinned on one side.
 

Attachments

  • image-3447996244.webp
    image-3447996244.webp
    39.5 KB · Views: 143
  • image-365538819.webp
    image-365538819.webp
    36.2 KB · Views: 132
  • image-3821759766.webp
    image-3821759766.webp
    55.8 KB · Views: 132
  • image-3869994045.webp
    image-3869994045.webp
    45.2 KB · Views: 146
  • image-2030964163.webp
    image-2030964163.webp
    41.7 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0
I see what could be a small flute. Being sugar quartz makes a definite call hard, for me. Nice looking find. I think if this were Clovis, the lobed base would be a little more outstanding. I'm no expert, see what others think. I know it's a killer find!
 
That's a keeper! :icon_thumright:
 
That's a beaut! I'll look around and see where my big quartz is. Can't imagin trying to work that stuff! Good find- and in a weird place, no? HH! Yak
 
nice find congrats HH
 
I wasn't going Clovis. I get too scared to say that word but there is definitely a flute or basal thinning flake on one side. Very old for sure.
 
I don't even try to work quartz anymore. Just beats up my tools. Only with rock.
 
I wasn't going Clovis. I get too scared to say that word but there is definitely a flute or basal thinning flake on one side. Very old for sure.

I always refer to the C word as "old elusive".
 
Now that is a serious piece of quartz. I haven't seen a quartz tool that big before. Beautiful!!!
 
Anytime I hear of it in my area it turns up not to be. Google tighman island Clovis and that's true maryland Clovis. It actually challenges the theory of Clovis people in the USA. If I'm remembering correctly they were dated 17000 or older and on the east coast.
 
Thanks Quito. I have some seriously large quartz tools but not made this nice. Usually large choppers knives and scrapers.
 
I'd look into Haw River points a bit if I were you. "Hardaway blade"
Killer find my friend whatever it turns out to be!!
 
Last edited:
Thanks gator! If I'm remembering correctly haw rivers are basal notched aren't they? I may be wrong about that.
 
Not all of them... some have only thinning.
 
I'd look into Haw River points a bit if I were you. "Hardaway blade"
Killer find my friend whatever it turns out to be!!

You just made me think of something. The Haw River runs through Graham, about 20 minutes from me. I'm pretty sure the artifacts got their name from this river. I'm not sure how far it flows, or what it flows into. Larger river? Ocean? I'll have to check that out. Sorry for topic hopping!!
 
Mabey a real nice Guilford straight base. Its an old one for sure.
 
Yeah I was playing with the idea of a guilford knife. I have one or two and they allways seem thicker and a bit smaller. It's a puzzler for sure.
 

Attachments

  • image-2603214293.webp
    image-2603214293.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 113
I'm just gonna call it a pre Clovis and be happy. Haha. Probably just a well made knife but sure would love to put a type to it.
 
That sure is a unique and beautiful artifact you have found, Congratulations Super Find! :icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom