Knights Templar Sword..

BISHOP

Jan 15, 2007
kNOx COUNTy, mo.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about this sword?? I recovered it from an old farm house I had obtained permission to go through before it was to be demolished. I know it was made by the Henderson Ames CO. in Kalamazoo Mich. in the between the 1880-1920. I have been assured that it is authentic but as far as details and value I haven't been had much luck in finding any info. The blade of the sword had very detailed engraving and the sheath is also very detailed.

Attachments

• 02-18-08 007.jpg
    02-18-08 007.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 8,823
  • 02-18-08 008.jpg
    02-18-08 008.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 7,257
  • 02-18-08 009.jpg
    02-18-08 009.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 5,014
  • 02-18-08 010.jpg
    02-18-08 010.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 4,050
  • 02-18-08 011.jpg
    02-18-08 011.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 3,304
OP
OP
BISHOP

BISHOP

Jan 15, 2007
kNOx COUNTy, mo.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I forgot one detail... I wanted to thank everyone for such a great forum. I know i haven't posted anything but I have been addicted to this site for about 3 yrs. now. Thanks for so much good information on so many diffrent topics. Oh ya the outlaw name I don't want anyone to assume that I really am. Is actually opposite cause I'm a Deputy Sheriff.

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
http://www.templarhistory.com/swords.html

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Sword Collector Information Page http://www.ruble-enterprises.com/henderson.htm

Frank Henderson was selling and / or making swords, regalia and military goods from 1850 until his death in 1899 and his company, Henderson-Ames co continuing until 1923. From 1850 to 1871 he operated his business under his name, Frank Henderson, in Kalamazoo MI. In 1871, Henderson formed a partnership with Theron F Giddings and started the Henderson & Giddings co. This only lasted until 1873 when the name was changed back to Frank Henderson. From 1873 to 1893 Henerson put out catalogs selling fraternal goods and began selling as an agent for the Ames Sword co. In 1893, Henderson consolidated his regalia company with the Chicago based branch of the Ames Sword Co forming the Henderson Ames Co. In 1894, Henderson bought the Detroit regalia factory of E. A. Armstrong, including sword plant, stock, tools, machinery, furniture and fixtures. When Henderson died in 1899, his firm continued in business until it was purchased and dissolved by M. C. Lilley co in 1923

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

http://dystopia.org/swords/templarhistory.html

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome long time lurker. ;D

Upvote 0

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I notice in the story in the link from Gypsy - templarhistory etc

Blade:
The blade of the Templar sword is particularly ornate and will often depict crusader scenes and lily work. Virtually every Templar sword made in the last century and a half will carry the engraved name of its owner.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
trikikiwi said:
I notice in the story in the link from Gypsy - templarhistory etc

Blade:
The blade of the Templar sword is particularly ornate and will often depict crusader scenes and lily work. Virtually every Templar sword made in the last century and a half will carry the engraved name of its owner.

Yeap... I have one with a fella's name on it too...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BISHOP

BISHOP

Jan 15, 2007
kNOx COUNTy, mo.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Thanks for all the help. Ya mine has the name Robert M. Johns on it. I have tried look around on the internet for the name but I haven't came up with anything. I wish I could find a family member of this guy. I'm sure that the owners of the farm house had nothing to do with the sword. Actually the last resident of the place I just sent to the "Big House" for about 15 diffrent burglary's. If anyone knows of a data base of Templar members i would love to get this back to where it belongs. Maybe if I could find out where it came from and it was stolen the judge might tack on a couple more years.

Upvote 0

Jadish

Sep 13, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, it is a small world..............

The sword is a Templar sword. To become a Templar, one must be a Master Mason, and then decide to go through the "York Rite", as it is known. Anyway, I found that this Robert M. Johns was a indeed a Mason. Here is his obituary. You may want to contact the family and ask whether he was also a Templar.

Best

Jadish
http://www.carrollcountycomet.com/news/2005/1012/Obituaries/033.html

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BISHOP

BISHOP

Jan 15, 2007
kNOx COUNTy, mo.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I called the recorder of the Knights in Indiana and give him the info. and hes going to be calling me back. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

Jadish

Sep 13, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great follow-up! And a Good Samaritan at that!

All the Best

Jadish

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BISHOP

BISHOP

Jan 15, 2007
kNOx COUNTy, mo.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Maybe if this works out and i get the sword back I could talk one of the moderators into changing that tenderfoot thing its kinda embarrassing. LOL Anyway the guy at the local lodge knew this Robert M. Johns personally and he said if he remembered right that they had a burglay while on vacation in Florida Several years ago. Another twist he said that shortly after the burglary they had a house fire and destroyed everything. Now it means alot more. I'm going to do whatever it takes to get it back to the family.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BISHOP

BISHOP

Jan 15, 2007
kNOx COUNTy, mo.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
check it out I'm a Greenie now!!!! lol I still might ask for a change.. Does it count that i remember the old, old, site ???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BISHOP

BISHOP

Jan 15, 2007
kNOx COUNTy, mo.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Well back to Square one. I spoke with the Daughter of the Robert M. Johns in Indiana and she had talked to her Mother Whose 92 and sharp as a tack and it didn't belong to them. Their Father was a Master Mason but had never a Knight. Well I'm Ready to start again. Thanks to all that helped me on my first leed..

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Man - you're doing a great thing... very cool.

I have a templar sword as well... it was from my Grandfather, who was a Mason, but I don't know if he was a templar. I DO know that the sword has some other dude's name on it. It's every bit as fancy and engraved up as the one you have. I got it from my Grandpa so I'm keeping it... I never tried to figure out who that other guy was. :P

Upvote 0

Cable

Dec 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
mxt, dfx, gmt,f75ltd, f5, gold bug, bhid
Chances are that the name was put on when the sword was made. I belong to the Commandary and at times we have tried to track down names on the swords and have found out that sometimes they are brought in from other Commandaries from other locations. I don"t think that it woulf be impossible to track down the name , but pretty unlikely. If nothing else give it back to the local Commandry. The mason that you talked to should be able to point you in the right directon. A very, very good try--just great......Thank you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BISHOP

BISHOP

Jan 15, 2007
kNOx COUNTy, mo.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Hey thanks everyone for their help and all the encouragement !!! This !@#%&head we got on all these burglaries had a ton of stuff. We took 5 truckloads of stolen stuff out of his place and the sword is the last thing i haven't been able to return yet. I'm gonna give it another shot tomorrow I'll give another update if I find out anything.. thanks again everyone

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread