Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok... here goes... and take it for what it may be worth... but in my book it is gospel for me getting permissions.

I NEVER approach someones doorstep... and i highly suggest that anyone reading this also takes this approach.

What I do and have eons in experience in is...

IF i see them... I approach them.

IF I DONT... then i don't.

IF i see someone say... sweeping the drive or getting the mail... or outside fixing the gutter... then FROM a respectful distance i say...(if its morning say for example) "good morning".

My name is "first or full" and i have admired your property for some time now and actually know a little history behind it and have been meaning to catch you outside as opposed to approaching your house and bothering you... I metal detect and have REALLY wanted to ask you for the chance at asking for the possible permission to detect your property in hopes you may be curious as to what history might be uncovered about your property.

OR ANY SUCH way of basically saying this / variation of the TRUTH.

This approach "breaks the ice" in a way less intimidating and on a "neutral" sorta ground.

After the ice is now broken you must then use what i hope you all carry inside you... your MANNERS !.

And most off all... IF granted permission... that you upscale your ethics in metal detecting and totally respect every aspect of not only the land... but the owners wishes as well.

My two cents... AKA a "bone" to chew.

AND... i dont care how the bone tastes. :P

Great post, and good notes about approaching people who are already outside doing some chores. That certainly makes it a lot easier. Go to those who have the balls to knock on doors, do it. I’ve got great permissions knocking on doors.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh i forgot to add...

"knocking on doors" in my part of Florida will get you met with a cop car before an answer... OR a barrel in your face.

One in 2 people here carry it seems anymore.

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't and most likely will never door knock. What I have done with decent success is to post on Facebook...local community groups. I give an into and explain that I love history, am a member of the "xxx Historical Society", and if anyone has older property older than the 50's, I'd love to detect their property. I mention I know how to recover things without damaging any lawns.

Good luck.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I have to share this story, my friend was so eager to detect this yard. He finally asked for permission. The owner could see how eager my friend was, started asking which detectors are good. The owner turned my friend away and bought his own detector to hunt his property!!! Careful how eager you look:)
Your friend blew it when he didn't offer to let the man use one of his machines and also to teach him how to metal detect. The owner would give it a try, realize that it wasn't like walking or watching TV and let him search the rest of the property...

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your friend blew it when he didn't offer to let the man use one of his machines and also to teach him how to metal detect. The owner would give it a try, realize that it wasn't like walking or watching TV and let him search the rest of the property...

I agree, recently I let an owner use my extra machine. He was swinging to high and not really paying attention to the signals. I tried to get him to lower the coil, no such luck. He gave up pretty easy, but I stayed and detected. I have let people borrow my machine to go over their property and then they will let me go in after. I usually mention to the owner of they want to go with, I have an extra detector. I don't door knock, but will go out of my way if I see someone outside!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to share this story, my friend was so eager to detect this yard. He finally asked for permission. The owner could see how eager my friend was, started asking which detectors are good. The owner turned my friend away and bought his own detector to hunt his property!!! Careful how eager you look:)

Yep ,gotta hide the , "dog under a buffet table" look in your eyes. L.o.l..
I've had quizzical looks on potential permissions faces turn into suspicious ones when appearing too eager....

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one way to find out what works for you. These folks put out some great insights. I go one of three distinct routes.
Permission through an acquaintance/ friend/ name drop. " So and so and i were talking and we thought your place would be interesting to scan with my metal detector if you're game."
Permission by location- see a neighbor and establish contact and pitch the idea.
Permission by research (least successful so far) " Are you Mr. so n so? (name from plat map) I'm Tom I (live down the street/ work at the local store/ volunteer at the/ something to establish that you're a member of the community not a transient wandering psychopathic killer ) I stopped by to get your permission to scan the property since it dates from 1889 and the first owner was none other than... " draw them in with mystery and intrigue if you know the history. DO NOT use " I was hoping, I wanted to, . . "its showing doubt/ negativity giving them an easier way to say no.
Usually its a combo of these things but every encounter is an opportunity. I got one of my favorite sites and some great friends at a chance encounter at the local gas station.
My largest permission of thousands of acres was a cold call when the owner was cleaning up trash along the road. I had stopped there many times but never knocked knowing that people don't like their privacy invaded. I caught him outside and walked and picked up trash with him and chatted. Sad to say he and his son are both gone now but that was enough ground for a lifetime of hunting. I also have an extra detector so when people say they want to save their property for when they get a machine I tell them "now you have a teacher and a machine! Lets go!"
Unfortunately there are dozens more detectorists with the itch in the world after I'm through with them so I should have used that more sparingly lol.

Interesting that the owner kept saying " Why me? Why my house?" Thats what you should have known before you picked it. Learn from your experience and see it as a challenge. I'm a wonderful talker with decent manners and etiquette but it still makes me stammer like my first day trying to sell subscriptions for a magazine to approach a door. It feels wrong because its quite unnatural While its not polite to say " Because your yard is the most unkempt on the block so I figured you would care the least me digging in it" something to the effect of " Its a corner house so you have twice as much walk along the roads, ..., yours is the oldest on the block, I just got that funny feeling I get sometimes that theres something of interest here, its a beautiful property I'd love to spend this afternoon enjoying it, I thought i could remove that small trash tree growing up your gutter., your roof is green its my favorite color.. " point is theres no wrong answer except not to have an answer. i draw people in with a story or two of what I found down the street show an indian head a few trinkets and tell them at the very least we're going to find something for them to put on the mantle if they'd like. Anything within reason that gives them justification to say yes. Sometimes its hard to let them down and they'll be wanting to

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First mistake was carrying your detector to the door. Always leave it in the car until you gain permission. Stand back from the door at least 5 or 6 feet, to make them comfortable that you are not going to rush them. I have business cards made that I hand them as I start my "speech". I tell them what I do for a hobby, assure them that their yard will not be torn up and I will haul all trash out with me in my pouch. I also ask them if there have been any family items lost in the yard, and if so and I find them, I will happily return them. If they refuse you permission, just thank them for their time and move to the next house. A lot of times, a neighbor will give me permission and the first home owner will come back over and tell me its ok to come back and do their yard. A lot of people just dont know what we do, and its common to have a fear of the unknown. When they turn you down, just move on. It's going to happen.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look for older historic homes undergoing renovation or unoccupied. In these cases door knocking wouldn?t work anyway so I write a polite letter explaining my interest in the property. So far I?ve written three letters and have gotten permission on each one. I just received permission for a home built in 1912 by a Union Civil War veteran. The current owner was an elderly lady who lives out of state. She typed me a very nice letter using the self addressed and stamped envelope I provided. I always mention in closing the ?liability issue? and I agree to hold harmless anyone or entity associated with the property. I?m not comfortable with an unannounced house call, for me the letter lets the owner have a chance to consider my intentions without any time constraint or pressure. It is easy to say ?no? when your put on the spot. Here?s my latest permission hunt just 5 minutes away from home.

I like your suggestion and I think writing a letter is the way to go. What would you say? Would you consider posting a letter that you wrote that worked?

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I NEVER approach someones doorstep... and I highly suggest that anyone reading this also takes this approach.

What I do is... IF I see them... I approach them.

IF I DON'T... then I don't.

I like that part. I just don't like the idea of going up to a person's door and knocking. I feel too much tension and an awkward feeling. I get a sense that people may be defensive so I think your approach makes sense if I asked somebody in person for permission. As of now, I think letter writing is best for me.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't and most likely will never door knock. What I have done with decent success is to post on Facebook...local community groups. I give an into and explain that I love history, am a member of the "xxx Historical Society", and if anyone has older property older than the 50's, I'd love to detect their property. I mention I know how to recover things without damaging any lawns.

Good luck.

That is an awesome idea. I never thought about that.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by to get your permission to scan the property since it dates from 1889 and the first owner was none other than... " draw them in with mystery and intrigue if you know the history.

DO NOT use " I was hoping, I wanted to, . . "its showing doubt/ negativity giving them an easier way to say no.

I think that part was very helpful.

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, I?ll be happy to. I’ve posted everything but some of the owner details for privacy.

Permission Letter

Dear Mr. Xxxxxxx,
My name is xxxxxxx xxxxxxx; I live in Xxxxx, FL. The reason for this contact is my interest in your property at 123 Xxxx Ave, FL. My interest is not in purchasing your property or anything of that nature. My interest is only with history of your property and the homes of the early residents of Xxxxxx. After growing up in Xxxxx and a 27 year career in the Army I have settled back in Xxxxxx for good. A hobby of mine is metal detecting and I have made some interesting finds around Xxxxxx of old coins, buttons and tokens that date back to the early residents.
Since the home appears vacant, I would like to ask your permission to use my metal detector on your property to search the ground around the home. I do not dig any large holes or damage the grounds or property in any way. I detect and dig small holes less than 4 inches deep. Mostly what I find and remove is trash such as bottle caps, pull tabs and aluminum cans. Occasionally I find an old coin, button or similar. I only collect; I dont sell anything I find, and happy to share photos with you. I always fill holes, clean up as I go and leave the property as or better than I find it. If you or someone else will be in Xxxxx I would be happy to introduce myself in person. I would love to search the area around this historic home!
I promise to be respectful and not leave any trace of my visit if given permission. Of course if given permission I agree to hold harmless from liability anyone or entity associated with the property. If I have directed this request to the wrong person please accept my apologies. Should you wish to grant permission please call me at your convenience. I have also included a stamped and addressed envelope should you need it. If you wish to speak to me please call or text. My cell phone is (xxx) xxx-xxxx. My email is xxxxxxxxx@xxxxx. Thank you in advance; I appreciate your time and consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,
Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxxxx
Your address

I like your suggestion and I think writing a letter is the way to go. What would you say? Would you consider posting a letter that you wrote that worked?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread