Know its there but I know my machine cant "see" it- help!!

Re: Know it's there but I know my machine can't "see" it- help!!

Hi Daryl, well you did just wonders in finding it at all with all that junk in your way. What do you think the reason was that you found it in the first place, just luck or detector or just a great detectorist? Did you hear a bit of a good signal? Now could have not been it because of the copper wire and the depth of the object. Was the machine a PI machine?

Sorry but I just don't know how exactly your found it, I guess I would have given up! But you did great work!

Hi Woody,

It was a last ditch MANUAL effort - "We used a Privy Probe to work the grid. " It was a 42" slender spring steel probe with a small nipple tip to expand the dirt just a bit more than the probe is wide (1/4") so it penetrates easier.

It wasn't luck. I was going to grid and probe around the two areas they though the coins were. The only way I could have missed them was to have stopped the gridding or just given up. I'm not the giving up kind.

It was one heck of a pile of silver.

Daryl

BioProfessor said:
Hi Woody,
It was a last ditch MANUAL effort - "We used a Privy Probe to work the grid. " It was a 42" slender spring steel probe with a small nipple tip to expand the dirt just a bit more than the probe is wide (1/4") so it penetrates easier.
It wasn't luck. I was going to grid and probe around the two areas they though the coins were. The only way I could have missed them was to have stopped the gridding or just given up. I'm not the giving up kind.
It was one heck of a pile of silver.
Daryl
About giving up, I meant really if you thought someone had already found it. Then its hard to go on.

OK also about the proble, I use one too here quite a bit in certain areas, but mine is not spring steel, just a good steel rod which is about 5 or 6 foot long- or longer, with like you say a sort of nipple or oval ball on the end, works fine in our muddy ground, but still is hard work. We use it to find old cesspools and old filled in canals, where you can find a lot of wonderful ceramic and sometimes metal object that were thrown away (also wedding rings from back in the 17th century and earlier, when the woman or man got tired of the other.)

Spring steel ones are just high quality strong steel alloy and tend to flex a bit and still stay straight. We could use it to look for this stuff because we were by the estuary and the soil is quite sandy. Not the hard clay in other parts of the area.

I like them to feel for bottles. May break a few but you know a dump when you feel a dump.

I'm not sure how long I would have lasted. The second 10,000 grids would have been tough.

Daryl

I hope both you guys have a T-handle on top of your probe.

3/4" dia. works good 1" even better. :icon_sunny:

You bet. I use the slender long one in sandy soil and move to the thicker and shorter ones as the soil becomes more dense and hard. The old sand is so soft, it doesn't take much effort to push through - probably why he dug so deep - and it works nice.

My real Privy Probe is more in the 3' range and much thicker and stiffer.

Daryl

GoodyGuy said:
I hope both you guys have a T-handle on top of your probe.
3/4" dia. works good 1" even better. :icon_sunny:
Yes of course a t-handle. Mine is about 3/4", does not bend. Most of the time, since the ground here
is not too bad (there are layers of clay in between layers of peat and soil - caused by the sea many centuries
before flooding the land during storms) in most places, the first clay layer is sometimes heavy to push though
but when you do get through that you are in the 14th century, some layers earlier and some later.

I do have another, its quite thin, and does bend if you push too hard, but I mostly use that near the sides of
the canals, the soil is much softer there. It only has a point on it because the suction is not that bad like on the
3/4".

All in all, if you can find a good place where you know the history of it, and can, its nice to find objects. Digging
to them can be hard, I'm not so young anymore.

Does the PI machine you're going to use (and I do recommend a 1m coil on the highest mineral discrimination) have a ferrous/nonferrous indicator?

Yep. It the Garrett Infinium so I can turn the dial and tell iron pretty well.

But it's too late. The coins are up and out!!!

Daryl

~Daryl~

Awesome! Care to elaborate on the details of your success?

Details are up the thread.

Nope. Not a picture. Not a chance. They are afraid somebody will recognize something and come looking.

Hey $30,000.00 face at today's market. I'm not sure I would risk it either.

Daryl

Seems like I know n-1 when it comes to rules. :tongue3:

Daryl

you want fun --wait till a freind comes and offers you a cut of the finds to help find and disarm --his now dead "silver hoarding" grandfathers booby trapped silver stashes * -- I mean seriously booby trapped -- as in pistol with a wire going to trigger , electrical charged trap and a dead fall "crusher" trap -- his gramps was a WW2 vet --

I was always on the look out for a IED type pressure switch type bomb -- remove the 5 gallon bucket full of silver and as you lift the bucket up and out of the hole --the pressure comes off the switch -closing the electrical curcuit from a battery to the bomb - ( causing a spark in the powder charge) -boom bye bye -- (thankfully there was none of those )

very interesting story. but this is just my honest opinion. i dont know any of you, or can i judge. but the truth is this story may be just that. bio spends all his time, buys new equiptment,locates this guys treasure, and cant even post a pic of the find. seems to me that a person must have something to hide or its fake. seriously. if you got a percentage or at least few coins, whats the prob with laying them on your kitchen table and snapping a pic for everyone to see. seems like all these beerock stories are the same. lead you on for numerous years,then either fall out or cant provide proof.whos gonna recognize your table and come look for what? cmon now. im not calling anyone a liar here, but you guys can obviously see the picture.ill be damn if i waste my time, spend my money, not get a coin out the deal or at least take a pic for all the followers to see. seems kinda fishy here if ya ask me. glad ya got your story, cause thats all ya got is a story. im not buying it. just like the other guys,cabin in browns or something, always an excuse to why he cant go. if i had any for sure thought of a treasure worth anything, id definately dedicate some time to finding it. as for this story, where is the proof. at least find a pic of one on the net and paste it and act like its one of them.lol as far as the metal detectors not detecting coffe cans full of metal, thats a funny thing, i found a tabacco can at 2 1/2 ft with my whites mxt just the other day in very mineralized soil. i use the gpx 5000 for nugget hunting, but was relic hunting when i found that, and i have a cheap bounty hunter that has to have a coin scrape the bottom to beep. and i stuck one of them old tabacco cans on the ground and it beeped at 2 ft. so something really funny bout this story. but hey its your story, stick to it.

john

Hi All, This is an old topic, but since I just found it, its new to me, and was quite interesting. A lot of work went into finding the coins, and a lot of people with helpfull ideas, but the end was kind of a let down. Thats a lot of digging for no reward, and not even a pic of some coins. I doubt a couple pics of just coins would have given away the site where they were recovered, or who owned them, so maybe this isnt the whole story.

Seems to be several stories on these MD sites, of people asking for help, and a lot of answers are given, but then the story just stops. Maybe someone tried to ask a question in such a way as not to give away too much of the location or even what the treasure was susposed to be, but also seems to be a few that just like to see how far their fairy tale can go.

I have also had some nice finds, but for many reasons, havent writen about it, but maybe some day, will post a pic of some of the very unusual coins I have found.

Gublube, you caught on to fast. There are people on here that "PLANT" a story and see how long they can "GROW" it . It's like the found cabin story that has run 5+ years. The question is," Are they playing with you or are you playing with them?" Your decision.

Dont The Etrac Have A Sub Extention Depth Finder
Would Love To See If Picks It Up
Or has Someone Mentioned It Already ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back