Know its there but I know my machine cant "see" it- help!!

Re: Know it's there but I know my machine can't "see" it- help!!

The ocean floor is different from tidal marsh - estuary - where the "soil" has been both made by the Spartina grass mat and the "inwash" of sand. You can't walk in some places as you will sink to your waist. It has the constant - saturate at high tide - drain at low tide - saturate at high tide - etc. at 2 cycles a day. So it doesn't take much for an item to be in totally saturated muck and maybe sink just a tad, dry out, wet again, move again, etc. So it is VERY different in the marsh.

I have made the banner a few times but I'm not finding anything in this area. No military action. No plantations.

Daryl

pronghorn said:
I am wondering why GG and the LRL guys aren't volunteering to
locate this for you, they swear by those gadgets. I suppose that
comment will get me in all kinds of trouble.

Just to clarify..... I personally do not swear by "those Gadgets" I have so far never seen one work. I did recently perform a test on one that failed.
The owner of that LRL has agreed to another test. Until then and only if the test is successful would I even think about recommending the use of one!

I own and operate a Whites TM 808 two box detector that can reportedly detect that size cache at a depth of up to 20 feet.
However, after 20 years of tidal action that cache by now could possibly be too deep to detect and may even need a coffer dam around it to be able to extract it if it's found to be over 6 feet deep.

Perhaps the use of GPR would be helpful.

Sincerely,
GG~

BioProfessor,

I read all of your posts on this thread and this is the impression I got:

1. Your best chance for success using a metal detector on this project was the fisher 2-box. You wrote VERY little about your use of it. You said it gave off a constant signal when you approached the salt water soaked area. That is because you didn't TUNE it for that area. If you did you didn't say that.

2. The best method for recovering this cache my not be using MDs.

3. Pls. tell me how many LARGE targets you have dug total at this site.

4. Have you looked into the background of the person that supposedly buried this cache.

5. People don't bury caches indiscriminately. They use some kind of method to remember where they buried it. he should be able to give you a clue what criteria he used.

I could go on for hours,but I think I will stop here and wait to hear from you. Joe

I think the wife and the postman split it up a long time ago. :icon_pirat: Seriously though, if you'd buried that kind of loot on your property, how the heck would you ever forget whether it was at the very least, in front or back of the house? The old guy probably wanted to find that whole can of beer he lost, he's thirsty.

If I ever buried that kind of loot, I'd NEVER forget that it was in front of back of the house, and I'd also know just about the area it actually was. Why? because my human nature would be to look at that spot to make sure a freshly dug hole hadn't just been made. Something is reeeeeel fishy IMO. Martin

I am 100% sure he put the silver in the ground. He is a well respected member of the community and has been for almost 40 years. His story is real.

I tried everything to tune the 2-box. Just couldn't get it to balance. Heck, 2 feet down there is salt water every day. You can imagine what the edge salt concentration is. Sky high!

A large target to me is something more than 4" across. I ran a line across the area where there was the most agreement between the husband and wife as to where they buried some of the containers. The line was about 50 feet long. I went along the line with my e-Trac and marked every target that was solid and repeatable. I used the pin pointer to estimate size just to get an idea but I flagged every target. I came back and dug all the flags. In that 50 foot path, I dug 8 targets larger than 4". Several were more than 6". I have never seen so much crap in a residential yard in all my life. Problem is that there was a working car garage there for about 20 years. The person that built the original house and lived there for about 15 years ran a commercial nursery and landscape business. He ran plastic irrigation pipe to all the plants but used brass heads about 3" across to water the stock. I've dug a lot of these.

This is just one of those cases where you do something and think you will remember it but things change, you change, and it just doesn't come back. I think part of it has to do with how important he viewed the money in the ground. If you have A LOT more, it loses some of its appeal and you don't worry over it so much. If you don't worry about it, you forget things. Just happens. And if you have enough money to put a Roush engine in one of your play toy cars, why worry about a little bit of silver in the yard.

This was a planned cache that was done in stages during the time when people thought the government was going to collapse and they started the survivalist movement. He did start to doubt his memory and went to the storage facility where he keeps all his records and pulled the sales invoices for the silver coins. He's not dreaming.

So it may be that someone working on building the new house hit the jackpot putting in the sewer line and left on permanent vacation. Possible. Maybe the house is on top of the coins. Possible. It's just one of those things that keep you up at night trying to figure out what to try next.

Daryl

BioProfessor said:
Sounds like a plan but after more than 20 years, I'm not sure if the dirt is different. And as far as depth, the one thing they are both sure of is that it is not more than 2 feet deep. Being on the tidal marsh, you really can't dig a hole much deeper that 4 feet without it filling with water. The cache is buried in small cans (size of a 2# coffee can or smaller) all close to one another so the hole was probably not more than 10 inches across when dug.

I'll give it a try though. I've got the probe.

Thanks,

Daryl
So no luck with the probe, that's a pity. Thought about ground radar?

No luck with the probe except a sore palm. I would probe and if I hit metal, I'd dig it. Can you say car Running Board?

GPR usually locates chambers and larger things but could work. If I could figure out the 2-box, I think that is my best bet.

Daryl

BioProfessor said:
No luck with the probe except a sore palm. I would probe and if I hit metal, I'd dig it. Can you say car Running Board?

GPR usually locates chambers and larger things but could work. If I could figure out the 2-box, I think that is my best bet.

Daryl
2-box is not so difficult, until last year I had the Discovery, but did not use it much after digging so many iron plows and other iron objects buried deep....

Problem in this place is the salt. Just can't get it to work well in the high salt content of the soil and the salt water 24" down.

Daryl

BioProfessor said:
Problem in this place is the salt. Just can't get it to work well in the high salt content of the soil and the salt water 24" down.

Daryl
Well then I hope you can rent that White's detector the guy was talking about, that does not have
any problem with salt (or so they say)...

My PI machine has no trouble with salt either but just like all PI machines - like the Whites - they have little or no discrimination. >:(

Daryl

A 2-Box is the best way to go for this cache. 1). You can cover more ground a lot faster and easier. 2). It will eliminate anything smaller than a softball in the field. So what are the chances of a piece of junk metal being that big...?
I bought one from Kellycodetectors about 6 years ago a low-end 2-B MegaExplorer. I paid around $400 which in comparison with the other models which I've heard are no more effective b/c none have discrimination, it was the best one for me. Don't know if they sell this one there online still, but look up Bill Haye's at haye's electronoics in Prescott Valley, AZ. He's been making these things for literally 50 years and is one of the most helpful and nice guys I've talked to about 2-boxes, cache hunting etc. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SEARCH!
HH
-spyguy

Thanks. I bought the Fisher 2-box. We'll see. I bought it because it said that anything less than the size of a beer can would go undetected. We use it to look for CW shells.

Daryl

Well I Hope Your Right
Because When I Buried My Gold Coins Without Telling My Family The Son Spots Me Doing It
And Dug It Up That Night I Found The Saran Wrap In The Kitchen Garbage Can
And Tripped Out Went Out And Dug It Up And Its Gone
Asked The Boy Where The Gold Was And He Told Me Where It Belongs On The Wall
In My Bedroom So I Go Investagate And Its There :laughing9:

So Is It Possable Someone Else Knew ?

THEY ARE OUT!!! Re: Know it's there but I know my machine can't "see" it- help!!

Hi Guys,

Just got back down south 2 weeks ago. Started working on the coin stash. GOT 'EM!!!

We set up a 1 foot grid with string around the pumphouse and the fountain. They were at the pumphouse.

They were 5 feet out from the wall and underneath a 1" copper line, three 3/4" copper lines, and two 220volt power lines. We used a Privy Probe to work the grid. We hit the Vietnam era shell cases at 37 inches. That's why my machine just went nuts in the area and every time I dug, I hit pipe or a wire. And who would have thought they were 3 feet down. Crap.

So he is a happy camper. Maybe I'll get a nice Christmas present but I'm not holding my breath.

Most money I've seen in one pile.

Pictures. Not a chance.

Thanks for all the help.

Daryl

Re: THEY ARE OUT!!! Re: Know it's there but I know my machine can't "see" it- help!!

BioProfessor said:
Hi Guys,

Just got back down south 2 weeks ago. Started working on the coin stash. GOT 'EM!!!

We set up a 1 foot grid with string around the pumphouse and the fountain. They were at the pumphouse.

They were 5 feet out from the wall and underneath a 1" copper line, three 3/4" copper lines, and two 220volt power lines. We used a Privy Probe to work the grid. We hit the Vietnam era shell cases at 37 inches. That's why my machine just went nuts in the area and every time I dug, I hit pipe or a wire. And who would have thought they were 3 feet down. Crap.

So he is a happy camper. Maybe I'll get a nice Christmas present but I'm not holding my breath.

Most money I've seen in one pile.

Pictures. Not a chance.

Thanks for all the help.

Daryl

I'm glad you got 'em. Now you probably won't be happy with any other form of treasure hunting. :laughing7: Congrats.

It is a rush for sure. But I have enough trouble finding a place to dig a bullet. Not sure if I'm up to chasing family stories for a cache.

We'll see. I may be hooked.

It's tempting.

Daryl

It just goes to show what hard work and determination can do.
Good work Professor :icon_thumleft:

GG~

:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: good work ! :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back