What's new

Ladies face in copper piece (UPDATED ~ pics added)

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2006
Messages
2,429
Reaction score
697
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Ladies face in copper piece (UPDATED ~ pic's added)

I found this thin copper item that has a very cool looking ladies face in it. I think its too big to be a button cover ~ any idea what it came off of? It's about the same diameter as a US half dollar ~ about 30mm. I pictured it along with a 1916 Buffalo nickel that I dug in the same area.

There's no markings on the front or back. There's a knob or stem thingy on the back side in the middle that sticks up about 1/4 inch.
 

Attachments

  • Oct22-2008stuff.webp
    Oct22-2008stuff.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 358
  • Oct22-2008face.webp
    Oct22-2008face.webp
    26.2 KB · Views: 360
  • Oct22-2008backside1.webp
    Oct22-2008backside1.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 286
  • Oct22-2008backside2.webp
    Oct22-2008backside2.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 286
  • Oct22-2008backside2.webp
    Oct22-2008backside2.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 272
  • Oct22-2008backside1.webp
    Oct22-2008backside1.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 288
  • Oct22-2008face.webp
    Oct22-2008face.webp
    26.2 KB · Views: 364
  • Oct22-2008stuff.webp
    Oct22-2008stuff.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 365
Re: Ladies face in copper piece

Got a photo of the back?

Is it threaded on the underside? 

I think it is likely the lid off a Victorian jar from a vanity set.  It has a decidedly Art Nouveau quality about it, so I'm guessing 1890-1900 or so.  :)


Regards,


Buckleboy
 
Upvote 0
Re: Ladies face in copper piece

I'd like to see the back. I'm guessing it's a button front. Like Buckleboy said - late 19th - early 20th c.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: Ladies face in copper piece (UPDATED ~ pic's added)

It is a brooch or pin, missing the sharp part.

:thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Ladies face in copper piece (UPDATED ~ pic's added)

I think it's a button front. Huge metal buttons were very popular in the Victorian era - especially for women's fashions. Do a search and you'll find lots of them that are 1 - 2 inches across.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: Ladies face in copper piece (UPDATED ~ pic's added)

DCMatt said:
I think it's a button front. Huge metal buttons were very popular in the Victorian era - especially for women's fashions. Do a search and you'll find lots of them that are 1 - 2 inches across.

DCMatt

After looking a bit at this, I will side with DCMatt on the ID for this one--but I'm stickin to my guns on the age. :wink: ;D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Ladies face in copper piece (UPDATED ~ pic's added)

You may both be right.. heres one I have same size and similar design. No sign of attachment in middle of back!
Nice find!
 

Attachments

  • SG1L3385.webp
    SG1L3385.webp
    84.7 KB · Views: 264
  • SG1L3387.webp
    SG1L3387.webp
    83 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0
Re: Ladies face in copper piece (UPDATED ~ pic's added)

Definetly "Art Nouveau" - Fantastic example of whatever it is... very cool. :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom