What's new

Language help !!!

alabamajoe

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Found this small knife but do not know what it says. Thanks for any help.
 

Attachments

  • 07-27-2009 10;44;34PM.webp
    07-27-2009 10;44;34PM.webp
    8.1 KB · Views: 380
I recognized it as French, I so happen to be learning French, and the translation is "Brie Cliffs",
(I simply used Google's translator) Brie is or was a province in France, famous for its cheese.

If you go to this link:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/79423/Brie

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brie_(region)

There is some info on it.

I am not sure if it is still officially a province, best I can say, contact a French person in that area and you may be able to find out more. My guess it was brought over from France, but just how old it is, I do not know.
 
Upvote 0
That is a cool find.
Please ;D tell us where (within reason) and how, you discovered it?
I've done some research and haven't found anything definite.
Mike
 
Upvote 0
"Cliffs of Brie."

Looks like it's a souvenir from Brie which is the modern day Seine-et-Marne (upper central France) which is odd because Seine-et-Marne is land locked and does not have cliffs that would warrant a souvenir knife to commemorate them.

See mom, I did not waste three years in high school and four years in college studying French! ;D


Michael
 
Upvote 0
I think that is from Royal National Park in Australia and I also think the picture taker was being sarcastic since the name of that picture is "I'll bring the wine if you bring the crackers." The area we are talking about in France is landlocked and that picture quite clearly shows the deep blue sea.


Michael
 
Upvote 0
I dont speak French, but searching "brie des falaises" comes up zip on Google.

Babelfish does not translate.

Searching "des falaises" and all I get is hotels but Babelfish translates to "cliff".

Brie is a province in France famous for a cheese of the same name.

Im not learning French, but my wild guess would be a souvenir from a hotel in the French province near the cliffs of Brie..

These cliffs must not be very famous because there are only 2 hits on "Cliffs of Brie." Here is the other.
http://books.google.com/books?id=ql...jOHEBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1
 
Upvote 0
It may be Canadian...

Brie des falaises

"Brie of the cliffs"

Brie n. = A mold-ripened, whole-milk cheese with a whitish rind and a soft, light yellow center.

Falaises = cliffs

There is a type of brie cheese made in Quebec (Brie Manoir).

There is a street in Quebec "Chemin Des Falaises street" and a couple of hotels in Quebec:
"Auberge des Falaises"
"Maison des Falaises"
http://www.highonadventure.com/Hoa07apr/Habeeb/Charlevoix.htm
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom