celtex
Sr. Member
- Joined
- Oct 25, 2009
- Messages
- 385
- Reaction score
- 68
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Texas Panhandle
- Detector(s) used
- Whites Vision, XLT; ACE 250;Bounty Hunter,Garrett Pro Pointer
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting

celtex said:It has nothing on back is 4" tall and 3.5" wide. Who is it? Dates to where?
Seems to have white paint on it at bottom.
Thanks for looking!

Breezie said:celtex said:It has nothing on back is 4" tall and 3.5" wide. Who is it? Dates to where?
Seems to have white paint on it at bottom.
Thanks for looking!
It's a Catholic metal with the Virgin Mary pictured. Nice find, Breezie

celtex said:Breezie said:celtex said:It has nothing on back is 4" tall and 3.5" wide. Who is it? Dates to where?
Seems to have white paint on it at bottom.
Thanks for looking!
It's a Catholic metal with the Virgin Mary pictured. Nice find, Breezie
Thanks! Any idea on age of the item?



Right down to the 2 angels and the halo! Good ID there. Thanks.yaxthri said:The double crown and the jewelry made me think of eastern Europe so I searched the internet.... Took me some time to find but I finaly did :-)
This is the "Black Madonna of Vilnius" or "Ostrobramskaya Madonna" of Lithuania depicted on your pendant. But I cannot give you any info on the medallion
Check these links for more pics and history:
http://03varvara.wordpress.com/2011...ai-ostrobrama-vilnius-lithuania-16th-century/
http://www.wherewewalked.info/feasts/11-November/11-16.htm

My grandparents on my Moms side were Catholic from Lithuania but I didnt know this. Great ID.yaxthri said:The double crown and the jewelry made me think of eastern Europe so I searched the internet.... Took me some time to find but I finaly did :-)
This is the "Black Madonna of Vilnius" or "Ostrobramskaya Madonna" of Lithuania depicted on your pendant. But I cannot give you any info on the medallion
I too wondered why a "Black" anything in that part of the world. The soot staining makes perfectly good sense thou.bigcypresshunter said:I wonder why she is called the Black Madonna. Did she appear black?