large cent and barber dime

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Had the week off last week and got a couple of days detecting. Decided to stay in coin mode (usually in jewelry mode) on the Ace 250 and didn;t do too bad from what you can see. The first day I came home with my first Barber dime, 1892, andd you can see that it is in great condition!
The next day I was maybe 30 feet away from where I got the dime and got a great signal that couldn;t decide if it was a dime or a quarter. Using a technique I discovered with my detector I determined that the item was small so I dug it up. Lo and behold what popped out of the hole was my fifth large cent and the best condition I have...1828! I knew it was a large cent when it flew out of the ground!

Anyway I have the day off tomorrow and more than likely I will hit this spot again but put it in jewelry mode again to get some buttons or other items...not that I won't dig any coins!

Thanks for looking

Funkman

Attachments

• coins front.JPG
    coins front.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 866
  • coins back.JPG
    coins back.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 871
Upvote 0

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
WaSaBi said:
Funkman, that is one beauty of a Large Cent.

Where is your pick of the Barber Dime, would love to see that one also.

Good digs man.
It's on the same photo as the large cent, you'll need to slide the pic over with the bar at the bottom of the photo to see the dime...

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your 1828 Large Cent appears to be a Newcomb 6 variety (Common). There are 12 varieties of the 1828 Large Cent.

Don

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW DUDE , THAT CORNET CENT IS IN EXTRA FINE SHAPE........GREAT DETAIL, THAT DOSE`NT COME VERY OFTEN........PACO

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was asked how I determined it was a Newcomb 6 variety. (12 varieties of the 1828 Large Cent)

The Newcomb 6 variety has the same Obverse (3) as the Newcomb 7, but the Reverse is only used on the Newcomb 6. That means the Newcomb 6 and 7 both are identical on the Obverse side but are different on the Reverse.

Obverse observations: The feet of 1828 step up, if you line up a piece of paper with the bottom of the 1 you will see that the 828 keep getting higher. The last 8 is high. The L in LIBERTY is low and the T in LIBERTY is large.

Reverse observations: All based on leaf positions to the letters. The leaf point end at D in UNITED is past center. The leaf point under the last S in STATES is just right of it. The leaf point under the F in OF is just past the center of the letter F. The leaf point closet to the C in AMERICA is just slightly past center of it.
Some coins are rather hard to attribute, especially the later year large cents as the differences become more minute. Reference books, On-line auctions and coinfacts and some other sites are all helpful in attributing a variety. Red Book is really just a general guidebook and I will leave it at that. :-\

Again, if the coin has detail, the only way to attribute most varieties is to have the coin as free from dirt as possible, dirt hiding details over one or two areas on the coin can make variety identification almost impossible in some cases.

Don

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice LC and dime WTG

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THEM CORNET CENTS GIVE A GREAT QUARTER READING EVERYTIME........CONGRATS ON YOUR SWEET LARGE COPPA..,,,,,,,PACO

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
thanks to all that replied and thanks Don for clearing up for me the difference between the varieties.

Funkman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions