large cent and barber dime

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Had the week off last week and got a couple of days detecting. Decided to stay in coin mode (usually in jewelry mode) on the Ace 250 and didn;t do too bad from what you can see. The first day I came home with my first Barber dime, 1892, andd you can see that it is in great condition!
The next day I was maybe 30 feet away from where I got the dime and got a great signal that couldn;t decide if it was a dime or a quarter. Using a technique I discovered with my detector I determined that the item was small so I dug it up. Lo and behold what popped out of the hole was my fifth large cent and the best condition I have...1828! I knew it was a large cent when it flew out of the ground!

Anyway I have the day off tomorrow and more than likely I will hit this spot again but put it in jewelry mode again to get some buttons or other items...not that I won't dig any coins!

Thanks for looking

Funkman

Attachments

• coins front.JPG
    coins front.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 866
  • coins back.JPG
    coins back.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 871
Upvote 0
T

TreasurdiggrNY

2 Great coins there, very nice Funkman Congrats! WTG :icon_thumleft:
Glenn

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Great job, Jim. Congrats on the nice coins. That Large Cent is a beauty.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful Dig's Funkman.....Make sure you get a pic of them together when they're cleaned up nice and purdy!!!! Great Dig's indeed and Best of Luck!!!! :thumbsup:

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Great couple of coins! Got one of the small one but sure don't have 1 (or 5) LC's!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
creeper71 said:
when I seen your large cent..I thought the 2 didn't look right ..so I pulled my 2009 redbook out an checked..I was right.. there is 2 varieties of the 1828 large cent.. to know which variety you have..you'll have to clean the dirt off of the 2 to see the loop at the top of the 2... btw that is a really nice looking large cent!

There are actually 12 varieties of the 1828 Large Cent, ranging from common to very scarce. Click here for some details: http://www.coinfacts.com/large_cent...828_large_cents/1828_large_cent_varieties.htm. Don in South Jersey can probably help with a postive ID.

Fantastic Large Cent! Soil must be well drained sandy soil! Congratulations!

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
The Barber is cool but that largie is SWEEEEEET, man,don't clean it any more,it is a beauty just the way it is!
Jerry

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking coins,both have great detail. Was this the same site you searched in the past?

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uses guys from N.Y. have all the luck! :thumbsup:

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Oh my god that is a beautiful large cent!!!!!!!

A large cent is on top of my wish list right now, and I hope to find one during Thanksgiving week when my father-in-law and I go detecting around some old cellar holes in the woods near his home in Michigan. We found six or seven houses on an old plat map that are no longer there.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread