What's new

Large Cent Copperhead medal medallion?

Jim Mac

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jan 14, 2014
Messages
4
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central NY
Detector(s) used
ATPro, XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was detecting a property in central NY where a farmhouse once stood. It burned down some 80 years ago, but I have found it, and all the out buildings on an 1854 map. I found an 1856 large cent and a cut 1850 large cent in the same hole. I thought at first it was a half cent because of its size, but when I cleaned it off, it turned out to be cut-down large cent with a hole in it. After some research, I think it might be a copperhead medal or medallion. Anyone have any thoughts on this coin, or information on copperhead medallions?
Thanks,
Jim
 

Attachments

  • copperhead2.webp
    copperhead2.webp
    249.1 KB · Views: 95
  • copperhead1.webp
    copperhead1.webp
    228.6 KB · Views: 92
Copperheads were "Peace Democrats" - Northerners who believed for various reasons that the Civil War should be ended. They were called "copperheads" because their opponents viewed them as "snakes." Taking the name as a badge of honor, they wore literal badges that were a play on the words "copper" and "head."

Copperhead badges were the head of Lady Liberty stamped on copper 1-cent coins. Sometimes the coin was pierced and worn as a watch fob. More often, Lady Liberty's head was cut out and worn as a pin.
Source:
https://creativecockades.blogspot.com/2014/08/copperheads-peace-and-constitutionalism.html
Don.......
 
Upvote 0
A very cool find Jim! :occasion14:
An interesting read on the I.D. provided by Don as well.

Dave
 
Upvote 0
Here is a long thread from a long time ago about Copperhead badges. This one is made from an Indian head penny.

Copperhead Badge?

My recollection is that we determined it is not a Copperhead badge (but my memory isn't what it used to be...). Read the thread.

I learned a lot about the dirty politics of that era. We think it's bad today, but we got nothin' on those mid-19th C characters.
 
Upvote 0
Could have been a normal coin someone made into a jewellery piece.
Nice find!
 
Upvote 0
Nice find learn new stuff everyday
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom