Large Cent, V Nickel, Token, & He finally popped the question !!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its true, ever since I found a few silvers & WWII Buttons & Collar Discs in his back yard last year, my daughters boyfriend (who is 37) has been intrigued with treasure hunting. Every time I have gone out since then, he wants to know what I found, & he loves to come over & look at my display cases. Then one night when he & my daughter ( who is 29 ) were having a romantic dinner by their fireplace, it happened. He took her hand in his, looked into her eyes, & popped the question. He said " Stef, do you think your dad would take me treasure hunting with him sometime ?".. Tears rolled down her cheeks. (We still don't know what kind of tears they were). She mustered up enough voice to say "yes, I'm sure he would, I'll give him a call " & the date & time were set. They were to be in my driveway the next Sunday at 7:30 a.m. It was 7:28 & they pulled in. ( another good quality in this fine young man, he's on time !) We took our short 10 min. drive & arrived at the bean field which once was home to an 1870 homestead. I gave Wally a very quick schooling on the Fisher CZ 5. We can teach teckie stuff in the winter when we cant dig. I took it first & ran a few rows to let him listen & learn. Then it was Wally's turn. He had made a few passes listening & digging to learn metals & sounds, when he got a good hit. I said "dig that one I like it", & out popped Wally's first real find. It was a period spoon that was bent but he was very happy. A few passes later & he found his first old ax head. He then handed me the machine & said it was my turn. ( Another quality - sharing ). I then went a few rows, & dug the 1850 LC. A few more rows & I got a great nickel hit. I gave the detector to Wally & told him to go over it & dig. He did, & dug the 1901 V Nickel. I offered it to him, but he would not take it. He said I had gone over it first & that he just did the digging. ( Quality # 5 Ethics !) We finished off the hunt with 2 Wheats ( which Wally did dig) & the Palmolive token. As I looked out into the field, I noticed my daughter bent down looking for things like she did when she was a wee girl of 9 & 10. She used to watch ants cross the driveway ! Then it hit me like a ton of bricks - spend as much time as you can with your kids no matter how old they are, because eventually all any of us will have are the memories. My apprentice detectorist is born, & now for the question my daughter really wants to hear !!

Attachments

• dad5.JPG
    dad5.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 114
  • dad6.JPG
    dad6.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 114
  • dad7.JPG
    dad7.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 112
  • dad8.JPG
    dad8.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 26

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it he has your blessing when the time arrives. Congrats on your daughters find of a fine young man and a playmate for dad! Oh and Nice Finds too.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got him hooked and now he's a great keeper for the whole family. Now if he finds some nice bling it's a no brainer to what finger he should place it on.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent read!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the best written thread I have seen in awhile. I think it would be great to have a hunting partner in the family. My brother in law has the interest but lives several hundred miles away, so that's a no go. You made some good finds to help get him hooked. Congrats on the great time you had!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post, Loved the read and your style of writing. I guess you won't be buying them a toaster if he does ask "The Question".

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
one of my favorite posts of all time,really made me chuckle.nice job and good for your little girl on finding an upstanding fella.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Story TZ. Your thread hits home because I have a 5 year old daughter who tags along sometimes. I hear it goes fast and then just accelerates the older they get. Congrats to everyone BtW

Steve

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you got a new hunting partner! I bet I know what he wants for Christmas!! :tongue3: Congrats to you guys :icon_thumright:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best post I've read in awhile. Well written and funny as hell. I wasn't sure what to expect when I saw the title. Tell him and your girl congrats....she will be seeing a LOT LESS of him from now on.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, I also got a nice chuckle. Glad his first hunt was a nice one.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:notworthy: Great finds all around! :notworthy: Loved your post! :icon_thumleft: I laughed lots, I cried a little too about how all people have later is memories - how true! My "kids" are in their forties & twenties & one of my grand-kids has reached his teens now. It was my mom & dad who got us all started in spending lots of time outdoors fishing, camping and exploring woods, and they introduced us to rock-hounding, jewelry-making too -- so no surprise my adult son & I have been detecting together & solo for nearly 5 years now. Doesn't really matter what positive activities friends & families do together cuz it's all good, especially outdoors! Have Fun! :laughing7: Andi

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a great story, and nice finds as well. I hope my little girl meets a nice guy like that when she grows up!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds- greater story!! Congrats!

-- Jeff --

OP
OP
Trezurehunter

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I am really glad everyone enjoyed the story with a twist of humor !

goldbmine

Nov 13, 2015
North Ga.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed the write up! Congrats on the finds and quality time! Know what you mean. Now if I could get mine interested! Yea right! Lol! Maybe some day?

goldbmine

Nov 13, 2015
North Ga.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dbl post sorry

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread