What's new

Large !!!! chain

Rebel8

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2008
Messages
29
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's V3i , MX Sport
We found this chain Sunday on the side of a mountain.
It was at a depth of 3 feet with another approximate 1 foot of leaves on top of that.
Additionally there was a large flat rock covering 50% of it.
The area is a known confederate position as marked on an 1863 map. It weighs approximately 50lbs. and appears hand wrought iron.
My first guess was a logging chain, but I've never seen a logging chain.

Any one seen it before?
 

Attachments

  • Chain 1.webp
    Chain 1.webp
    20 KB · Views: 682
  • Chain 2.webp
    Chain 2.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 692
more like skidding "tongs" for logging.

you'd hammer the hooks one into each side of the log about a foot back from the end
and the harder you pull the chain, the tighter they'd grip.
 
Upvote 0
Can you spread the chain apart. From the looks of the photo it looks like there are links holding the hooks together.
 
Upvote 0
dozer dan said:
more like skidding "tongs" for logging.

you'd hammer the hooks one into each side of the log about a foot back from the end
and the harder you pull the chain, the tighter they'd grip.

Perfect ID Dan :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Each hook is connected to the large rings.
The ring and hook can be moved freely around each link.

( Detected using White's xlt ....eight inch coil )
 
Upvote 0
Must have been one heck of a signal! And under a rock as well. And yet you kept going. More than I got.

Nice chain?? ;D

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
It was a very small signal to begin with. It got louder of course
the deeper we got. Eventually very loud. No way were we going
to stop. There have been caches of CW guns found in the area.
I was beginning to think cannon barrell at one point. Very exciting
for a while!!
 
Upvote 0
Probably used to drag logs up and stack them as a barricade to get behind and fire at advancing Yankees. I can almost see it in my minds eye. Very interesting find. Monty
 
Upvote 0
or sometime in the last 146 years someone did some logging.
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
Probably used to drag logs up and stack them as a barricade to get behind and fire at advancing Yankees. I can almost see it in my minds eye. Very interesting find. Monty

your minds eye??????????

you probably did see it.............. you where probably there in person! :icon_jokercolor:

my grown kids once told me that they found a piece of petrified wood with words carved in it.

it read .............. "Dan was here!" ;D
 
Upvote 0
Why Dan, you're old enough to be my father. Can I call you daddy? M :D nty
 
Upvote 0
Well thank you Dan and Monty, your remarks are so very helpful. Very encouraging
to anyone who wants to post a what is it? Thanks again Rebel8
 
Upvote 0
plehbah said:
dozer dan said:
more like skidding "tongs" for logging.

you'd hammer the hooks one into each side of the log about a foot back from the end
and the harder you pull the chain, the tighter they'd grip.

STOP IT WITH YER FIZZIX!

????????????????????????????????????????

i must have missed something. whats a "fizzix"?

is it anything like a "henway"?
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
Why Dan, you're old enough to be my father. Can I call you daddy? M :D nty


i grew up in the hills of southern kentucky, you can just call me "uncle daddy" :icon_jokercolor:
 
Upvote 0
I was as logger at one time and I also worked with a chipping operation operating a 518 Cat Skidder with Esco Grapples. I logged for Hercules Corp. and several small operations. I have used antique tools and equipment and I have never seen a set of logging tongs that look like that.

If I hammered those hooks into a log and then tried to winch the log up, or even pull the log with mules the hooks would come out. Logging tongs look like this:

ST1000-25.gif
 
Upvote 0
dozer dan said:
????????????????????????????????????????

i must have missed something. whats a "fizzix"?
just like it sounds...physics.... Plebah doesnt use his spellcheck. Whats a henway? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070508000258AAXGHzR




Ant said:
I was as logger at one time and I also worked with a chipping operation operating a 518 Cat Skidder with Esco Grapples. I logged for Hercules Corp. and several small operations. I have used antique tools and equipment and I have never seen a set of logging tongs that look like that.

If I hammered those hooks into a log and then tried to winch the log up, or even pull the log with mules the hooks would come out. Logging tongs look like this:

http://www.mfgsupply.com/img/chainsaw/ST1000-25.gif[/img]
It looks similar to the pic PBK posted, but you seem to have the experience.
 

Attachments

  • MVC-017S.webp
    MVC-017S.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 351
Upvote 0
That picture that Ant posted is like the ones I used to see when I was a kid. I lived in a logging campfor a while when
my mother was their cook. I grew up around the logging camps and sawmills and saw and used them some. Like he says
I think those hooks on the chains are too small and round for them to sink deeper with tention on the chain. It looks to
me like the hooks would curl around and pop out and pull loose.

Ray
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom