What's new

NYNH&H RR Rail Road coin or token Help identify

cchunter

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
87
Reaction score
18
Golden Thread
0
Location
Brewster, Cape Cod MA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro / Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NYNH&H RR Rail Road coin or token Help identify

I was MD at an old train station and found 2 of these. I'm not sure what to call them? Are they coins, tokens or tickets? What were they used for? They are heavy for there size might be made of lead. Front has letters NYNH&H RR New York New Hampshire and Hartford Rail Road. On the back side there are numbers 238 and 248.
100_3868-1.jpg
100_3870-1.jpg
 
Re: NYNH&H RR Rail Road coin or token Help identify

They look like lead mail bag seals for the railroad? Any rusty edges on them?
 
Upvote 0
Re: NYNH&H RR Rail Road coin or token Help identify

Montana Jim said:
They look like lead mail bag seals for the railroad? Any rusty edges on them?

Yes there are rusty spots on the edges. When did they stop using them.
 
Upvote 0
Re: NYNH&H RR Rail Road coin or token Help identify

That RR operated from 1872 to 1968.


The lead bale seals were used throughout most that time, but, probebly circa 1870s to 1920s for that seal... thats a WAG.
 
Upvote 0
Re: NYNH&H RR Rail Road coin or token Help identify

First pic is in focus but second pic is blurry. You must not have the camera steady.

I agree lead seals. Could they be for for sealing doors?
 

Attachments

  • lead seals with wire.webp
    lead seals with wire.webp
    3.9 KB · Views: 585
  • lead seals.webp
    lead seals.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 514
  • lead seals with wire.webp
    lead seals with wire.webp
    3.9 KB · Views: 629
  • lead seals.webp
    lead seals.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 344
Upvote 0
Re: NYNH&H RR Rail Road coin or token Help identify

Mackaydon said:
I lived in the area at that time and remember the RR name as "New York, New Haven and Hartford".
Don...
You might be right with New Haven. I just did a Google search and thats what came up, New Hampshire.
 
Upvote 0
Re: NYNH&H RR Rail Road coin or token Help identify

cchunter said:
Mackaydon said:
I lived in the area at that time and remember the RR name as "New York, New Haven and Hartford".
Don...
You might be right with New Haven. I just did a Google search and thats what came up, New Hampshire.

Thats what I did too... :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
Re: NYNH&H RR Rail Road coin or token Help identify

The New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad (reporting mark NH) was a railroad that operated in the northeast United States from 1872 to 1968. Commonly referred to as the New Haven, the railroad served the states of Connecticut, New York, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. Its primary connections included Boston and New York.
Source: Wikipedia
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom