Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro, Quest x10 idmaXx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted an old farm field site the last couple of days and found these.
The farmstead dates back to 1855.

This is an 1840 Nova Scotia Half Penny--It measures 1 1/8 inches in diameter.
It was only 4 inches deep. It is pretty well toasted but still readable with a magnifyer.
The second picture is of a good one listed on E-Bay.

The 1864 Indian head is also toasted but readable.

The kerosene lamp wick holder was patented Aug. 16-1870-Stamped on the knob.
Too bad it wasn't in better shape.

Thanks for looking and best luck to all, Merf

Attachments

• 1840 half penny.jpg
    1840 half penny.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 734
  • half penny back.jpg
    half penny back.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 761
  • 10-27-07 039.jpg
    10-27-07 039.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 727
  • half penny back.jpg
    half penny back.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 720
  • 1840 half penny.jpg
    1840 half penny.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 740
  • 10-27-07 045.jpg
    10-27-07 045.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 894
  • 10-27-07 048.jpg
    10-27-07 048.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 899
  • 10-27-07 037.jpg
    10-27-07 037.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 860
  • 10-27-07 035.jpg
    10-27-07 035.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 917
  • 10-27-07 029.jpg
    10-27-07 029.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 876
  • 10-27-07 019.jpg
    10-27-07 019.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 937
  • 10-27-07 009.jpg
    10-27-07 009.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 950
Upvote 0
Re: WTG Merf!!!

SgtSki in MI said:
Nice old copper. How well did the IH clean up?

Congrats,
SgtSki

Thanks Sgt.----The IH is so toasted from from farm chemicals that I did not try to clean it.
I think the date and detail [what is left] would be gone.

weasel606 said:
nice finds merf ! looks like your in a good area ;D i hopeing you find some silver there also and goodluck ;)

Thanks Weas.---It will be pounding that spot for a while.

Good stuff . I thank those old lamp parts have a story to tell. :)

Toasty but good. ;D At least you can recognize them well. They made a lot of the 1864's yet I haven't found any 60's IHs yet.

That Nova Scotia coin is cool. 8) 8)

Bob

dgaughan said:
very cool finds merf good luck at that spot hh

Thanks DG---I will pound it.

Montana Jim said:
EDDE - Murf!!

Great job!! That site is a keeper...

Thanks Jim---I need more sites like this.

birdman said:
Good stuff . I thank those old lamp parts have a story to tell. :)

Thanks Birdman---That must have been a hard life back then. kerosene lamp, No electricity, no microwave, no plumbing. and a 1 hole outhouse.

Mirage said:
Toasty but good. ;D At least you can recognize them well. They made a lot of the 1864's yet I haven't found any 60's IHs yet.

That Nova Scotia coin is cool. 8) 8)

Bob

Thanks Bob---I sure wish the fertilizer was not so hard on coins.
One thing I discovered. At an old farm site where the house was torn down within the last 10 or 15 years the coins that I find that were in the farmyard and not the field are in good shape and not toasted.

bookfisher said:
Hey Merf, nice finds! Though, as you know, coppers can be frustrating!

Thanks Bookfisher----I had a hard time IDing this one.

I had to hold a bright flashlight at just the right angle and use a strong magnfier to read it.

Merf said:
TEXAN Connection said:
Hold the phone whats that heart buckle i found one like it??????????

I am not sure Texan but Evolution said he saw one like it in a magazine and there was some debate as to weather it was a civil war bedroll buckle. [see second post in this thread]
I have been googleing it but with no results.
Let me clarify this statement a little more. I said there were a few differing opinions on whether this was a Civil War bedroll buckle. I believe at the end of the article (like I said, I'm pretty sure it was in the ask Mark Parker section but not positive) it was deemed by an expert that it was not a War related buckle.......sorry if I gave anyone a heart attack with that one......read post below for more info...

I just did a search on E-bay. There are two of these buckles on the site right now. The first one is referred to as a Civil War era brass buckle w/ heart. Here is a picture of that one. It is currently at $9.95 for a bid.

ca1b_2.jpg

Here is a picture of the second one. It is referred to as a dug Civil War antique brass buckle. Current bid $4.99

2601749093668080_1.jpg

So apparently the debate goes on. Merf, are these the same buckles as yours? Texan connection.....Same as yours?

Evolution said:
I just did a search on E-bay. There are two of these buckles on the site right now. The first one is referred to as a Civil War era brass buckle w/ heart. Here is a picture of that one. It is currently at $9.95 for a bid.

Here is a picture of the second one. It is referred to as a dug Civil War antique brass buckle. Current bid $4.99

So apparently the debate goes on. Merf, are these the same buckles as yours? Texan connection.....Same as yours?

Thanks for the updare EV---I think mine is the same but it is bent. Best luck, Merf

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Merf...

One SWEET Hunt... :o

I give it a 2,440,821.00 on a scale of 2,440,821.00...PREFECTO... ;D

Rock on MERFMAN,

Nick

Thanks Nick,,, I had some good luck.

TEXAN Connection said:
Yes thats like mine, but the loops are gone just the square and the heart.

Mine only has a piece of the wire loop remaining.
I found it not far from the 64 IH so it is the right time period.

Yes, SOME of these buckles ARE from the correct time period--mid 1800's. The whole debate arose from a CW reference that misidentified it over 20 years ago...by the time the error was acknowledged in the next volume, detectorists had already gotten the notion that this was a Civil War find firmly in their brains... Since these buckles--which are actually a civilian horse harness-buckle shield--were used until recent times (with little or no change in their basic design), it is difficult to attribute them to a specific time period--CW era or otherwise. These are frequently offered online for prices as high as 80 bucks, but they are sold by unscrupulous dealers for exaggerated prices to unsuspecting buyers. A NON-DUG, older example in nice shape might bring 10-15 bucks tops.

Regards,

Buckleboy

I agree... buckle is sweet! But have oft been misidentified because of a shoddy publication a long time ago...

I said "Great find" nontheless...

BuckleBoy said:
Yes, SOME of these buckles ARE from the correct time period--mid 1800's. The whole debate arose from a CW reference that misidentified it over 20 years ago...by the time the error was acknowledged in the next volume, detectorists had already gotten the notion that this was a Civil War find firmly in their brains... Since these buckles--which are actually a civilian horse harness-buckle shield--were used until recent times (with little or no change in their basic design), it is difficult to attribute them to a specific time period--CW era or otherwise. These are frequently offered online for prices as high as 80 bucks, but they are sold by unscrupulous dealers for exaggerated prices to unsuspecting buyers. A NON-DUG, older example in nice shape might bring 10-15 bucks tops.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Thanks for the info Buckleboy----We will never know for sure as there is no identifying insignia on the buckle.
I found it about 100 feet from where I fopund the 1864 Indian head so I guess there is a chance it is from that time period. Best luck , Merf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back