• Balls1.jpg
    Balls1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 3,781

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Large Balls....what are they?

Hey Doc,

I would keep an open mind about the bar shot. What if it were hollow. It was shot and impacted on end, pushing the two balls close together?

Unless, as a farm implement it may have been used to crush corn into flour or meal. Sort of like a large pestle. Maybe there is a 3 foot diameter mortar in the ground somewhere.

Mike

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RealdeTayopa said:
Hola I still will stick with the bar shot no matter what proof you come up with to the contary - Irish you know! hehhehe.

Tropical Tramp
me too Doc...too much similarity....reason for being on a farm....souvienier.....???? who knows farmer could have been a pirate or navy soldier from back when...his grandkids used it for duck pins or something...Im calling quits on this one too....Im for the bar shot, and as TT was saying it may not be as functional due to damage, reason for not sliding apart,...... :-\

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DOC/ROOM: From a strict mechanical design thingie, it is too space robbing to be an efficient design for a machine.

Besides, there is no means for controlling side play except for the balls themselves, too crude.
That would make it something like Dek or Capt Sossi would design, no-way in my Navy.

DON TROPICAL TRAMP

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

After looking at the cursed thing for about five minutes, I do know it was not used as a roller in any way.
The weight would have left a band around both balls and that is not there. The area between the balls is such that a rod would bend quite easily if any hard mechanical leverage was applied. Has this item been posted on any other sites?
Am I mistaken to assume there is a coat of black paint on the balls or is that just the light the photograph was taken in?
I keep coming back to military use, but I need a size reference on standard armament of this type..(I could come up with something similar in my old wards catalogue....but I will refrain.) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dg39 said:
After looking at the cursed thing for about five minutes, I do know it was not used as a roller in any way.
The weight would have left a band around both balls and that is not there. The area between the balls is such that a rod would bend quite easily if any hard mechanical leverage was applied. Has this item been posted on any other sites?
Am I mistaken to assume there is a coat of black paint on the balls or is that just the light the photograph was taken in?
I keep coming back to military use, but I need a size reference on standard armament of this type..(I could come up with something similar in my old wards catalogue....but I will refrain.) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
yah, dg39....also bar shot exploded looks "blown up"....in this case was it a dud or is it uxb?

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think I have laid forth a solid premise.. I did not say it was ordinance. But........there is a lot of unexploded ordinance out there..and I dont think the mechanical aspect of the item has come to the surface...... (The only joke in my context was the Wards catalogue.)

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dg39 said:
I think I have laid forth a solid premise.. I did not say it was ordinance. But........there is a lot of unexploded ordinance out there..and I dont think the mechanical aspect of the item has come to the surface...... (The only joke in my context was the Wards catalogue.)
Okay, Dg36, just wondering....I did comphrend the joke context....I was just asking if it were a barshot with minimal to none damage then it must be a dud...or it is something else....not a wheel because there ARE NO wore rings around center of the balls' ...but could be attached to a rope or a hook in by the center "bar" and hung to weight or to balance something....or it could just be a knic knac...it could be if put in a round container a pivot"lazy susan".....so many ideas.. :'(

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

At this point I really believe its possibly " something else" .....But cannon balls were also NOT loaded with powder and were used for their mass in destruction rather that explosion. (you have to keep that in mind) So we are more or less to the wall on this thing. I think it is too large and heavy to be a mechanical device, but anything is possible.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dg39 said:
At this point I really believe its possibly " something else" .....But cannon balls were also NOT loaded with powder and were used for their mass in destruction rather that explosion. (you have to keep that in mind) So we are more or less to the wall on this thing. I think it is too large and heavy to be a mechanical device, but anything is possible.
Okay, I did forget that this particular type of barshot wasn't the exploding type...destruction type...my Apologies for that...it has a worn look on the bar middle...

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats Angelo *****

"K" DOC, on one knee, geneflectng, while tugging yer rapidly disappearig forelock in abject appology to Angelo !

You have just learned something new. Present Location is not a criteria of usage. Museums are an excellent example of this.

Don Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RealdeTayopa said:
Congrats Angelo *****

"K" DOC, on one knee, geneflectng, while tugging yer rapidly disappearig forelock in abject appology to Angelo !

You have just learned something new. Present Location is not a criteria of usage. Museums are an excellent example of this.

Don Tropical Tramp
As before said Angelo....good work...and It is a knic knac too.....Looks like it from here.... Im done!!!! Find the unusual ring now!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stranger

Jun 14, 2006

Sorry to be a source of torment for those on the forum, but welcome to my misery...lol. I am researching antique steam engines/tractors, ones used for threshing machines. I have been told that it could be a weight for the governor on a steam engine. I've googled governor's and there were several that used large weights, so I'll keep you all posted.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

=stranger ]
Sorry to be a source of torment for those on the forum, but welcome to my misery...lol. I am researching antique steam engines/tractors, ones used for threshing machines. I have been told that it could be a weight for the governor on a steam engine. I've googled governor's and there were several that used large weights, so I'll keep you all posted.

If you tell DOC this, Yer getting close to my _* list stranger. heheheheh

I know what you are describing, but in almost every case they are free to move "away" from each other in order to accomplish this. Simple conversion of forces involved to accomplish your design purpose.

On the contrary these appear to be fixed in relation to each other.

Ain't no stinkin gov weights ! (DOC would never let me live it down)

BAR SHOT, BAR SHOT, BAR SHOT !! ( Shaddup MIKE ) heheheh

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

[Michelle
Different hook up nada....a couple examples...already searched

Exactly, they work by converting rotary motion into horizontal or vertical motion in order to move the actual control device.

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Michelle, in your picture they are used to convert rotary motion into a vertical component which in turn controls the amount of Pressure allowed to enter the system thus automatically controlling the speed/power out put of the unit.

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions