• Balls1.jpg
    Balls1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 3,781
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Large Balls....what are they?

Morning DOC: Bar shot - ded bar, bar shot - ded bar, gracias Mike.

Out of curiosity just how much clearance is normally allowed between the ball and barrel ? This outside of the normal clearance allowed for burned powder remains.

In most tech data that I have found or seen, bar shot were used in very close conbat, in which case a reduced load (less actual internal pressure ) is quite adequate.

Just how much difference in actual weight is there between a Bar-shot and say a large cannister load?

In so far as jamming goes, I cannot see why a loose fit is preferable, on the contrary, in the case of loose fitting connections, chains, lines etc., it would be a potential disaster. Even the slightest jamming would increase the internal pressures to the point of - adios cannon and crew.

I venture to say that very few ever fully present a side ways impact.

I will state this, upon the first ball leaving the mouth of the cannon, it would be subject to an external pressure differential while the lower ball would still be under the lowering pressure of the propellent.

Under certain conditions it is conceivable that the first is slowing down very slightly due to the external air pressure,while the lower one is still basically holding it's velocity due to residual internal pressure inside of the barrel.

Obviously the first ball has "exited" in this visualisation. and can show a slight freedom of movement in relation to other ball in a rotational form around their center of mass, limited by the ball connection and cannon bore/mouth..

In which case, it is conceivable that the second, or lower one which is stll inside of the barrel, would have a slightly higher energy /velocity in comparison and hence tend to catch up with the first ball which has already exited - "once BOTH have exited" !

The difference would naturally be very small since they are solidly connected together and naturally would be evident in a slight rotation around the center of mass of the Bar shot, it MIGHT be enough to cause an effective movement.

sheehs BAR SHOT - DED BAR !!

Tropical Tramp

p.s. NO, I will not present the mathematical soloution to this in here !

Upvote 0

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005

If the fuse and bursting charge were removed, one would have a cavity into which one could pound an iron bar, connecting two balls that would "weigh close to 20# total" and match the size and appearance of the object. One could tie a rope around the bar and use it to keep the draft horses from wandering, or a counter-weight for some other purpose, or throw it in a field to confuse enemy treasure hunters.

Attachments

• iia1.jpg
    iia1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 702
Upvote 0

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005

Two inert 12 pounder case shot connected by an iron bar.

Why is a completely different question, open to speculation.

Upvote 0

99*

Focus on the holes on the balls which are counter sunk? why bother if they were shot (which they are not as they would have no purpose and be hard to spin so close together.) they are counter sunk for a reason, thats where the search should start. They do appear to be cannon balls or similar but to drill into iron/steel years ago would have been hard and counter sink equally as hard, so this makes them how old?
Can the owner tell if they are screwed together one side being opposite in thread? In which case different size balls could be attached to the arm in the middle. (Not bar!)
They have the counter sinking so as to be reused or the balls to be changed out, depending on weight requirements? Or part of machinery conecting two critical pieces such as an armature or crude bearing allowing movement to both side attached to opposite balls.. Ball joint???The counter side allowing for a rubber bushing or similar material, ? Old Ball joint? Doc,,,what do you think? 99*ps it aint no bar shot....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stranger

Jun 14, 2006

My internet connection has been down and therefore unable to read or post anything the last few days.

Couple item to clarify:

1. in reference to the 80# comment, that was in response to someone's question on how much a bale of hay weighs. They weigh approx 20 pounds

2. I did say steel in error but i meant "non-brass". They do appear to be cast and you can actually see somewhat of a seam on the sphere on the left.

Some other titbits. The area was settled in the 1820's, actually by our descendants. THere was no house or buildings nearby and we actually know where the early settlement cabins were...none where in the location where it was found.

After finding them....they were wirebrushed and a light coat of oil was applied. They are not painted as someone asked in a previous post.

What about a weight for a governor...but since they dont go appart, could this be just one weight of two? THe connecting rod would give a solid point of attachment. There were many different types of governors.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Room & bullheaded IRISH/scot Doc: they are "BAR SHOT" formerly used on BAR as mike said, NOT a B.A.R.

BAR SHOT/other use == predominant evidence is BAR SHOT!!! sooooooo---

Tis a fine example of one type of BAR SHOT !!

Vote ==
ME Bar Shot. ============================================================100% correct!

They, even to a barn door stop (although the alterative use has not BARred silly posts)hehe,===100% wrong.

Concensus of intelligent analysis, mine, is that it a fine example of a bar shot !

Since I am a living Saint, although somewhat sheltered, I cannot be wrong ! so there (:>D room.

So far, not even a slight intelligent alternative has been posted.

I presume by this that you must think that I am a bit prejudiced, you are correct, it is a BAR Shot, in case I haven't mentioned it before heheh.

BAR SHOT TROPICAL TRAMP

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RealdeTayopa said:
Room & bullheaded IRISH/scot Doc: they are "BAR SHOT" formerly used on BAR as mike said, NOT a B.A.R.

BAR SHOT/other use == predominant evidence is BAR SHOT!!! sooooooo---

Tis a fine example of one type of BAR SHOT !!

Vote ==
ME Bar Shot. ============================================================100% correct!

They, even to a barn door stop (although the alterative use has not BARred silly posts)hehe,===100% wrong.

Concensus of intelligent analysis, mine, is that it a fine example of a bar shot !

Since I am a living Saint, although somewhat sheltered, I cannot be wrong ! so there (:>D room.

So far, not even a slight intelligent alternative has been posted.

I presume by this that you must think that I am a bit prejudiced, you are correct, it is a BAR Shot, in case I haven't mentioned it before heheh.

BAR SHOT TROPICAL TRAMP
I cast my lot with Senior RT! Bar-shot (Not of the wiskey type) I only serve my drinks on the veranda. Would you like a mint julep, RT? Although doc is a total gentleman. I don't think his hounds are treeing this coon.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You for changing the name Stranger!!!! Looks less offensive to many....LOOOOOOOK PAGE 3 .......BAR SHOT...BAR SHOT....I like the sound of that!!!!

Upvote 0

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm... I turned in something that looks an awful lot like that when I got married.. hmmm.

Since people are narrowing it down, thought I might offer a few more ideas... food for thought.. .thinking outside the box. (I apologize if I repeat someone's previously mentioned ideas"

1. 'Small People' dumbells?
2. A stud from Mick Jagger's mouth?
3. A pair of Wah Wah's? (hmm..... no.. that's all i'm gonna say).

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Groovedymond said:
Hmm... I turned in something that looks an awful lot like that when I got married.. hmmm.

Since people are narrowing it down, thought I might offer a few more ideas... food for thought.. .thinking outside the box. (I apologize if I repeat someone's previously mentioned ideas"

1. 'Small People' dumbells?
2. A stud from Mick Jagger's mouth?
3. A pair of Wah Wah's? (hmm..... no.. that's all i'm gonna say).
WARNING Jeff SAID keep it clean.....We have alot of gutter b***'s here...OOPS!

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diving doc said:
Michelle, there wasn't anything offensive posted, only humor. It's a joke, right ;D
Regards,
Doc
it's a warning to not keep it up until it gets worse.......

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dg39
I only serve my drinks on the veranda. Would you like a mint julep, RT?
OF course my friend, fill er up ------[_]P

Care to join me later in a hammock, letting the gals bring us chilled Plum SAki while we discuss the obstinacy of certain Scots?

Tropical Tramp

Appol. if this seems to apply to anyone we know, being an X USAF Gentleman I would never do that snicker..

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[diving doc ]
I'll only believe it when you shoot it out of a cannon without blowing it up. I'll be in the bar waiting for the results. Don't trip on the door stop on the way in.
Regards,
Doc
Naturally you will supply the canon and powder?

Fortunately the dumbell shaped door stop rolled outside with the a last Zephyr of cool breeze.

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=Michelle
Only offensive to those inclined to think dirty, LOL
Blushing, I am too sheltered, I will never be as worldly as some X beachcombers in here are.

Heck I still haven't mastered "Have-a-Lot Allen's" book, let alone Kinsey's sigh.

And , again blushing violently, I do have a peculiar mind, it is full of frustrations and unfulfilled fantasies, snifff

Tropical (former SAINT) Tramp

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread