Large SPHERES....what are they?

stranger

Jun 14, 2006
Found this in an field where farming has taken place for years and years...any ideas at all???? I'd guess it to weigh close to 20# total. The rod connecting the two spheres is solidly attached and about 3/4" separates them. Also, the rod is about 1" in diameter.

Attachments

• Balls.jpg
    Balls.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 3,765
  • Balls1.jpg
    Balls1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 3,781

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Large Balls....what are they?

RealdeTayopa said:
=PostFatal ]
in both cases, the faster they turn thr further they separate from each other. The balls in question cannot move away from each other.

Exactly post

Tropical Tramp
I agree T Tramp....Just the same...I was giving examples as to how barshot design is similar but not functional for gov. the distance between the two balls are not same..ALSO there is a flatness on the ball..Im sold on BAR SHOT....next up!!!!GO FOR IT....

Attachments

• govenor.jpg
    govenor.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 842
Upvote 0
P

PostFatal

ok, I give up. It was used on the farm as an anchor. It kept the bull from jumping the fence. BUT, before it was discharged from the military it saw service as bar shot. It has to be a bar shot cause it sure aint a jigger (alcohol humor)

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stranger can Change it to anything he wants.
All he needs to do is hit MODIFY

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rod too small.........

Attachments

• hit miss govenor.jpg
    hit miss govenor.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 860
Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Angelo said:
I have removed all my ignorant comments and findings on this thread.

Will be anxiously awaiting the photos for the barn door stops.

I concede to the Doctor. Number of posts per day. 21.267

Me.. 1.992

I know when I'm beat

Will check back on the photos.
Tony
Angelo if we all took out our ignorant comments there would be no context at all.....Hang in there with us....

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Michelle said:
Angelo said:
I have removed all my ignorant comments and findings on this thread.

Will be anxiously awaiting the photos for the barn door stops.

I concede to the Doctor. Number of posts per day. 21.267

Me.. 1.992

I know when I'm beat

Will check back on the photos.
Tony
Angelo if we all took out our ignorant comments there would be no context at all.....Hang in there with us....

ANGELO, Your the Man.
Why your Findings Though ? you may still be right.

Michelle, Not if you's would all use MODIFY
and do it.

Only IF I get a Report To Moderator &
Start Deleting every post I think May Offend Someone ;)

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diving doc said:
Angelo said:
Suggestion:

Chat Line

Comedy Central

Both with-in this site.

Tony

How about the Forensic Fun Forum ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

How about Remembering People Post their Finds here to Find out What they are ?

Not to Watch some people act like Children ;)

I'v had several Knowledgeable Members say they Won't post their Thoughts, Because Certain Members will Make a Fool out of them :(
even if they know they are right ,

Maby it is Soon time for some "House Cleaning" :-\

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doc....congradulations you just reconfirmed Bar Shot.....how awesome!!!! only you forgot the french version I think it was used in wwI could most likely be wrong...but I know someone will get it right....

Attachments

• BARSHOT.jpg
    BARSHOT.jpg
    1,017 bytes · Views: 730
Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diving doc said:
Michelle said:
Doc....congradulations you just reconfirmed Bar Shot.....how awesome!!!! only you forgot the french version I think it was used in wwI could most likely be wrong...but I know someone will get it right....

Not quite, the bar shot was always as pictured, relatively far apart and always a good bit smaller than the diameter of the cannon that fired it or it jammed in the barrel and exploded. Our object is 80# and each ball is about five plus inches in diameter which means that the cannon that could have fired such an object would have to be at least seven inches in diameter and still couldn't have fired this object without exploding. Now a cannon with a bore of 7 inches is a very large cannon indeed and highly unlikely to be found in pieces in a farmer's field so bar shot is not something that I would consider and said so from the beginning, reverse it and I'll join you for one.
Regards,
Doc

The function of bar shot and chain shot was to destroy sails and rigging and that is why the spheres, hemi-spheres were separated at a distance from each other. These projectiles whirled in flight and had a much larger impact foot print than solid shot. Function and design, bar shot, chain shot.
http://www.cwartillery.org/ve/parrott.htmlhttp://www.aboutnelson.co.uk/35armaments.html Still could belong to a collector....who carried it there and it got played with by kids grandkids...etc. etc. I dont recall postee saying it was an 80#... ??? QUOTE "I say 20#....i havent weighed them, just a guess..."

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diving doc said:
Right, I made a mistake. It is about 20#'s, what he said. I'm judging the diameter by the hand in the picture. The laws of gunnery still apply. Bar shot, the identification in question, does not physically fit the proporions of our object. Every post of a picture of bar shot from a referenced source has the two ends very much further apart than the "Spheres" on our little shaft, Right???

Doc
Yes, BUT....postee said the piece is somewhat seized from age and exposure it could be expandable...."could be made more of a cruder type than normal for this reason or that"

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

[=diving doc ]
If these balls are screwed together it still isn't bar shot, Way too short for bar shot, it's a door stop.
HIO DOC, what is the standard distance for bar shot separation?

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0
P

PostFatal

I'm beginning to sway from bar shot. It's what, 10" over all? each ball is 4" dia.? If they unscrew then I could see them as part of some ball and socket mechinism. The bar would go through a heavy plate and the ball on either side would fit into a socket on the end of a shaft allowing for independent movement of each shaft. But I'm really using my imagination here.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HIO DOC, me lazy as you well know. What is considered the standard distance between balls --if such a thing exists. I am of the opinion that there is no such standard and they were made in many forms, sizes, and shapes, according the whims of the caster..

Is it possible that one variation was made shorter than normal to eliminate a possibliity of jamming in the barrel when fireing?

I.E. The longer the separation the greater the possibility of cross jamming. IN the case of chains they had better be in contact or --------X

And of course as has been mentioned, if the projectile had been fired and impacted primarily on one ball it could conceivably jam the connecting rod inside of both thus giving the shortened appearance as is illustrated.

I am also well aware on the usage and construction of varous types of bar shot, hot shot, star shot, etc., etc. Doc, thanks, no need to go into that any further for me.

And finally for "this" post Doc, just what in internal;/external ballistics would cause them to spread out to maximum width of a chain or to even tumble? Why wouldn't they just play follow the leader as a similar load of buck shot out of a shotgun does.

Upon firing the effective forces are essentailly the same for both.

Ah me sleepy, night Doc. smooch heheh

p.s. BAR SHOT, BAR SHOT, BAR SHOT!!!!

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

[diving doc These are steel balls according to the guy who found them
Doc
Sorry Doc, they are cast, even appear to faintly have the mould separation marks. Etching/corrosion does not appear to be of steel, but typical of cast iron.

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005

Perhaps it is simply an improvised weight made from items at hand....two unfilled 12 pounder case shot hammered onto a short iron bar through the fuse holes.

Upvote 0

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005

diving doc said:
SomeGuy said:
Perhaps it is simply an improvised weight made from items at hand....two unfilled 12 pounder case shot hammered onto a short iron bar through the fuse holes.

According to the guy who has them they weigh a total of 80#'s so I don't think that idea works, and you don't mean case shot. You are talking about a carcasse, check out my picture again.

Doc

No, I meant case shot. (Bombs)

I say 20#....i havent weighed them, just a guess...I can weigh them if that would help any.

A 12 pounder case shot measures 4.52" in dia. and weighs 11lbs 1 oz. when filled.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diving doc said:
Look at post #104, Stranger, who found this says 80#'s for the weight.

Look at post #163, for description of case shot.

You made a mistake.

Doc
That is because he was guessing the weight of a bale of hay Doc...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread