Well, here's the scoop. I worked in the industry for a while. Laser referres to the method of moving the image. It can be used with ink jets or xerographic transfer methods. The xerographic machines are much heavier, use a dry toner and a drum or belt to produce an image which is plastic melted into the paper with heat or pressure. They also require a cleaning system and regular maintenance. The ink jets are much simpler and only require cartridge and sometimes head replacement. Only get an inkjet copier that has individual ink cartridges. This will save you big bucks in ink purchasing. I have 2 Ink jet printers, an HP 130 design jet which is a commercial 24" printer and a Cannon i900D 11" printer for pictures. Both use 6 ink cartridges. I have one cheap,$35 new dell copier It was truly cheap, but they make it on the ink. By the way! copiers copy on the glass and usually from a computer and/or camera. Printers don't copy from a glass surface.
The latest thing is Wi Fi copying, ie no wires. I am presently converting over to Wi Fi . I have a unit that fits in the palm of my hand that can hook up 6 devices like computer, printer, external hard drive, card readers, etc. Two of my computers work on the hot spot device and any new equipment will also. The hot spot device is 4Glte which is fast. The new HP copiers really look good. Hope this helped. Frank