Last Four Days of Detecting 12/24 thru 12/27 Pulled a few Keepers

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On Thursday I went back to the area I pulled the Peace Dollar and then went to Jim's house. I only dug 3 wheats (1941, 47D, & 58D), a little over $2 in clad and a cool token.

Token Obverse

Shoe Token Obverse.jpg

Token Reverse

Shoe Token Reverse.jpg

All 12/24 Finds

20151224_164908.jpg

On Friday, I got out to a house that has had much remodeling over the years. The house was built in the early 1900s. There has been a lot of fill dirt, and sand in the back yard. I did a grid and dug an old local trade token, the body of an old Porsche Tootsie Toy and a few other items. I then went to the local state park and dug some clad.

Token Obverse.

A.C.McClellan Token Obverse.jpg

Token Reverse.

A.C.McClellan Token Reverse.jpg

All 12/25 Finds

20151225_161503.jpg

On Saturday I hit 5 locations and dug clad. I did dig a weird piece of lead and an old junk ring about 9" deep.

All 12/26 Finds

20151226_134442.jpg

Today I went back to a permission that I have hunted 3 times before. It is an old property, the house was built in the late 1800s. I have yet to pull an old coin from this site. Today no old coins, but I did dig my first Lead Soldier and my first Sterling Thimble.

Lead Soldier

20151227_151552.jpg

Sterling Thimble

Thimble.jpg

All 12/27 Finds

20151227_151527.jpg

As always, I hope ya'll got out and swing the coil :metaldetector: today.

Upvote 41
Love the Finds. That thimble is awesome too.. Would love to find one!
Thanks JZL1, it has a few holes on the top so I can see why it was in the dirt.

Nice hunts Loco, love that Boy Scout shoe token and the sterling thimble, still looking for one myself.

Thanks Q, there out there, I bet one has your name on it.

Great bunch of hunts and loot, Loco! Your WW1 era doughboy machine gunner must be a home-cast soldier from a kit. I could not find it in any of my reference books and it appears to be 54mm (common for European soldier makers) as opposed to 70 MM, made by American toy soldier companies of the 1930's-40's. Happy Hunting, Sub 8-)

Thanks Sub, the lead soldier is big, bigger than I expected. It gave me a huge smile when I pulled it out of the dirt. We dirt fisherman are cut from a different cloth seeing how we are elated by the darndest things.

Nice finds. Been wondering where you have been hiding.
I thought since you reached your silver goal, you have been taking a break.
I like the thimble and lead soldier the most, but I saw a lot of items I would be happy with. :thumbsup:

Thanks PBR, I am still digging, but since it gets dark when I am driving home from work I can only get out if I take a day off or the weekend rolls around. Hope the weather holds off, I have another 4 day weekend coming up.

Tokens have always been my favorite finds, you have two really neat ones there!

Congrats on the tokens and on the sterling silver thimble! :occasion14:

When I first saw the Excelsior Shoe token, I immediately thought of our 1973 Canadian Quarter! :laughing7:

Dave

Attachments

• Canada 1973 Quarter-crop.jpg
    Canada 1973 Quarter-crop.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 44
Some great digs! Love the lead toy and funny most from that time frame look very similar...Be Safe and Have a Happy New Years..!!

My kind of hunter,, I know you spent quite a few marathons out of the house trying to make those hunts real.
The Excelsior shoe company issued those tokens. The Boy Scouts of America started to have their BSA symbol attached to approved or official merchandise.
They first had to come to an agreement on which.BSA Symbol was acceptable. The emblem in use today was not accepted and approved until the 1920's.
There was a lot of controversy and infighting in the very early.days of the BSA.
Congrats on your finds.

Great post and great finds Loco. Really like that sterling thimble. It's such a personal relic which is why I like them so much. Still looking for a sterling one myself... Hopefully one day soon!

I love a varied hunt myself. The token is really cool but that thimble is sweet my man. It looks to be in great shape!

Really nice.
Great way to finish out a great year.

Sure is nice to get out this time of year. Love the tokens. Best of luck to you in this new year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back