What's new

Last weeks boxes not so good but I had a great find when dumping!!!

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
1,148
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week 7 of my 8 boxes were skunks but the one box had [1] '64 ender and [5] 40%ers. Dumped my clads at my usual branches and the teller always lets me keep what is in the reject tray each week. Mostly there are damaged coins, paper clips, screws, etc. but this time there was something good - a 10K gold class ring!!! :hello2: I felt a bit guilty for keeping it so I tried googling a John Roberts Jr. (the only name on the inside of the ring) in the area to no avail until my wife reminded me that was the maker of the ring! :laughing7: Minus the stone I am guessing it weighs 5-6 grams so about $100 in melt! Looks like it wasn't such a bad week after all!!! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:
 
Upvote 0
awesome score!!!! amazing!!! melt it down and use the $$$ to invest in silver so when it goes up u can make a tidy profit! keep it up and hh!
 
wow.. i found silver a couple times in the reject tray but never GOLD!
that's awesome!! :headbang:
 
I'm surprised that the school name and year aren't on the ring. That plus any identifying initials would help you locate the true owner.

I'm just saying..............
 
thurmownator said:
I'm surprised that the school name and year aren't on the ring. That plus any identifying initials would help you locate the true owner.

I'm just saying..............

The school name on the ring is no longer around and it was from 1971 putting the owner at about 60 years old now (if they are in fact still alive). I am holding onto the ring for a while just in case someone goes into the branch looking for a lost ring and the teller tells me as I have no need to sell it.

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:
 
I would think the challenge of trying to locate the original owner and seeing their face when they got it back would be worth not getting the little bit of cash for it.

Then again, that's just my opinion.
 
John Roberts JR sounds kinda like the name of a school to me.....you try that route?
 
I think researching the original school, getting a yearbook or listing of seniors that graduated that year, then cross-referencing with which ones still live in the large city/county I live near would be much more trouble than it is worth for me at least. They may have been married, etc. and have a different name than in the yearbook, then cross-referencing with which ones use this bank - a very big bank in my area. My guess is the ring is out of sight and out of mind - they don't know they lost it or why would it be dumped into a coin machine???

It would be a good deed I know but I don't know if I have the energy - maybe I should have left the ring in the debris cup! :-\

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:
 
$ilver$urfer said:
I think researching the original school, getting a yearbook or listing of seniors that graduated that year, then cross-referencing with which ones still live in the large city/county I live near would be much more trouble than it is worth for me at least. They may have been married, etc. and have a different name than in the yearbook, then cross-referencing with which ones use this bank - a very big bank in my area. My guess is the ring is out of sight and out of mind - they don't know they lost it or why would it be dumped into a coin machine???

It would be a good deed I know but I don't know if I have the energy - maybe I should have left the ring in the debris cup! :-\

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

I believe that people put valuables in their coin jar all the time, with the mentality that "I'm going to go through that jar before I dump it."

Then, without realizing it, they dumped the class ring, as well as the three Morgan dollars that their grandmother gave them, nine Walkers and four 64 Kennedy's that were given to them when they were a kid.

I was astonished to find a 1940 silver Canadian dime in my own coin jar just last night, and I now remembering many months ago "I'll remember to pull that out" before I dump.
 
Wow..i need to start hanging around your area :thumbsup:
 
$ilver$urfer said:
It would be a good deed I know but I don't know if I have the energy - maybe I should have left the ring in the debris cup! :-\

Personally, I am not saying you shouldn't have taken it as I'm guessing that 95+% of the people who could have picked it up had you not done so would not even think of looking for the owner.

The only difference I see with a class ring versus just any ring is because it has personal meaning to the person who lost it. I know in the metal detecting club meetings I attended for a year or two (now I am just not free the night they hold their meetings), typically the only types of rings that were attempted to be returned were class rings. They are also typically the type that the owner can sometimes be identified.

No matter what you decide to do, it's a nice find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom