Latest Adventure... Leg One.... Tucson to Comfort, TX

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PeteyGirl and I are on a new adventure. We started on May 10th in Tucson.
DSC00641.JPG Ready to pull out!

We stayed the first night in Van Horn, TX. In the morning, we visited KENT, TX... a ghost town.
Founded in 1881, Kent never had a population of more than 60 people yet built a stone and brick school for the kids.
DSC00642.JPG DSC00643.JPG

Kent was first called Antelope but was renamed after Andrew Kent, who died defending the Alamo. There are STILL only 60 residences but none live in the town. Probably live in surrounding farms.
Kent 1.JPG Kent 2.JPG Kent 3.JPG

Most of central and west Texas was part of a large inland sea. Most of the flat land is a bed of limestone. Limestone contains fossils. And we found many. These are the most notable.
Kent 4.JPG Kent 5.JPG

On to Comfort TX...
Most of Comfort was built by "Freethinkers" from Germany. They were master builders in stone and wood. Many of the buildings were built from the local limestone. Here are a few:
DSC00650.JPG DSC00648.JPG DSC00649.JPG

This building had an interesting placard:
DSC00664.JPG DSC00666.JPG

We took MANY pics of the beautiful buildings but will add this one.
DSC00679.JPG DSC00680.JPG

We found "Augie" in the local cemetery.
DSC00713.JPG

And last but not least..... THE JAIL!
DSC00697.JPG Stay tuned for leg 2, Comfort to Galveston! TTC

Neat old architecture. I've been through Van Horn a few times, but all I can remember was a painter who did copies of Vincent Van Gogh had a studio there. I went I his studio to check it out. That's sure some desolate country out there, but like most all of the US there's always some little known facts to discover if you take a bit of time to look around..... Have a safe trip

Great pics Terry, thanks for sharing! You guys have a great Memorial Day !

Thanks for sharing the photos Terry. Now I get to see some parts of the US that I would love to visit someday. I love the old buildings and vacant old houses. Take care and be safe on your travels.

Neat old architecture. I've been through Van Horn a few times, but all I can remember was a painter who did copies of Vincent Van Gogh had a studio there. I went I his studio to check it out. That's sure some desolate country out there, but like most all of the US there's always some little known facts to discover if you take a bit of time to look around..... Have a safe trip
Here's a little known fact hiding in plain sight.... most of west Texas was settled around the early 1880's. All the little towns seem to have sprung up at the same time. This may seem puzzling ... until you merge it with the fact that the RAILROAD came through at that time! BINGO!
Here is a video I forgot...
TTC

Thanks TC. I love old finding those old little known stories of the past that are scattered everywhere across this country. Indeed the infancy of the railroad advanced this country like a plague into what it is today the superpower to which the world has never seen and I pray to God we will always keep it that way. I suspect my ancestors moved into Nebraska in the 1880s from the expansion of the railroad spurs that went in all directions after the first line was layed across the west in 1869.

Thanks TC. I love old finding those old little known stories of the past that are scattered everywhere across this country. Indeed the infancy of the railroad advanced this country like a plague into what it is today the superpower to which the world has never seen and I pray to God we will always keep it that way. I suspect my ancestors moved into Nebraska in the 1880s from the expansion of the railroad spurs that went in all directions after the first line was layed across the west in 1869.
The biggest obstacle to expansion in Texas were the Comanche. Mexico wanted the "Gringos" between the Comanche Nation and Mexico to help stem the raids down into Mexico. Most Whites at the Alamo were actually Mexican citizens. They got land for signing on as Mex citizens as part of the "buffer" Mexico wanted. TTC

I like the placard on that building. That's pretty much Texas. Ray Wiley Hubbard would like that, hell, he might have wrote it!

I like the placard on that building. That's pretty much Texas. Ray Wiley Hubbard would like that, hell, he might have wrote it!
It DOES sound like him.... (He's thirty four and sittin' in a honky tonk. Kickin' hippies asses and raisin' hell.) Jerry Jeff Walker is one of my favorites. From way back! TTC

Those are some cool old homes. Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

I love seeing the country through your lens! Thanks for taking us along.

I love seeing the country through your lens! Thanks for taking us along.
My pleasure, Sis! There is much more to come as long as I can keep traveling. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back