What's new

Latest Whatsit

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
1,769
Reaction score
76
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Dug a month or so ago at a old homesite... any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • whats it.webp
    whats it.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 483
  • whats it 001.webp
    whats it 001.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 494
  • whats it 002.webp
    whats it 002.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 484
  • whats it 003.webp
    whats it 003.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 486
Upvote 0
I don't know, but I found one too. I don't remember if I still have it or not. Looks the same though. I think it was engine related, either a component of a steam type or very early gas engine. Just speculation from a guy with background in the engine/mechanical trade.
 
Upvote 0
cheese said:
I don't know, but I found one too. I don't remember if I still have it or not. Looks the same though. I think it was engine related, either a component of a steam type or very early gas engine. Just speculation from a guy with background in the engine/mechanical trade.
Yes It looks engine related, like were the hand crank went on the fly wheel of petter engines :P

SS
 
Upvote 0
I think it fits on a steel electrical conduit with the ground wire running through one end? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Just from a quick glance it looks like part of an old sewing machine, maybe the part the bobbin goes in. :dontknow:





edit-- on second thought maybe not. :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
To me it looks like an advance from a auto distributor.Looks like a return spring would go in each hole .It would advance as it rotated at various rpm
 
Upvote 0
Looking at it some more I now beleive itis a tensioner of some sort.If there was a spring pulling on the eyelets it would load the wheel in the outward position.It could have had a small sprocket that is now rusted away.It would have kept tension on a bike chain or machine chain.Just my best guess.I really like this find and I am as curious as the finder..LOL
 
Upvote 0
cheese said:
I don't know, but I found one too. I don't remember if I still have it or not. Looks the same though. I think it was engine related, either a component of a steam type or very early gas engine. Just speculation from a guy with background in the engine/mechanical trade.

I'm with you on the engine related part, but what part and purpose did it have?

The rest of you have come up with some good ideas but I don't think we have it solved yet.
Thanks for your input. Still looking for ideas.
 
Upvote 0
I also believe it to be an advance from a distributor , here is a pic of a newer one but you can see the similarities
 

Attachments

  • vac aadvance.webp
    vac aadvance.webp
    3.3 KB · Views: 221
Upvote 0
Diggerbarns and Allen, I thought the same thing. I think mine came from a spot where I have found Model T parts, so I searched model T distributor parts. Well, I found out model Ts didn't have distributors, they had "timers". So I searched for them and found what I believe is the modern day equivalent of this part, even down to the roller wheel on the arm and the slot going partway down the larger bushing area. The old one was brass, and there was a spring connected to both holes to keep the roller pressed out to the contacts inside the cap. This newer one is made of spring steel to eliminate the need for the spring. Otherwise the same. What do you think?
 

Attachments

  • T3165-8594-xl.webp
    T3165-8594-xl.webp
    9.7 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 0
I was going to guess window crank mechanism until you posted that pic. :D That side view kinda resembles the end part that holds the bar on an awning window but probably not..
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Pewter eagle button
Replies
1
Views
493
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Measuring weight?
Replies
3
Views
393

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom