What's new

Lead foil?

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
1,891
Reaction score
1,350
Golden Thread
0
Location
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hunting a old ghost town and finding a lot of lead foil is the best way to describe it, anyone know what is was for?
 
Hey scratcher,

Every once in a great while, I'll find an old lead foil bottle seal.

DSC03101.jpg
 
I've found a couple like that, but the others are more like aluminum foil but lead. A buddy says the might have sealed windows with it.
 
If it's near a waterway it may have been used for patching boat hulls.
 
Not positive without pictures but they used to use lead strips to wrap around bolts to help anchor them in stone or masonry. More common was lead wool. Still have a roll in the shop. Think it's 1940s vintage.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom