What's new

Lead Seal?, Some sort of pipes.

jgas

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Messages
3,826
Reaction score
2,753
Golden Thread
1
Location
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Found these at the place where I found the 1883 Dog Tags. The lead stamped thing was easily 10 inches down.

The pipe thing was about 6 inches down. Just wondering if anyone might have a guess. The lead thing is smaller than a dime. Thanks for the help... jgas
 

Attachments

  • New 7.webp
    New 7.webp
    8 KB · Views: 257
  • New 8.webp
    New 8.webp
    10.4 KB · Views: 246
  • New 28.webp
    New 28.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 232
  • New 26.webp
    New 26.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 242
  • New 25.webp
    New 25.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 222
  • New 8.webp
    New 8.webp
    10.4 KB · Views: 251
  • New 7.webp
    New 7.webp
    8 KB · Views: 230
jgas, offhand I'd say it's the valve tubes to a trumpet or similar brass wind instrument.
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
jgas, offhand I'd say it's the valve tubes to a trumpet or similar brass wind instrument.

I agree!

Also, yes, you are right it's a lead bag/bale seal
 
Upvote 0
Hey Montana, the tags were found at an old farmstead dated late 1800's. Near the back yard 6 inches down and all together. Actually in the county that I found them.

Johnyi: the pipes are very heavy by the way. I thought the same thing too but man that would have to have been a backbreaker when all together...But, could be...Thanks for the replies.....jgas
 
Upvote 0
jgas, the valve pipes are the thickest brass on a horn. They'll be heavier.
 
Upvote 0
Oh yes, call me stupid now.....what and how would they have used the seal thing???? DUH.....?? :icon_scratch: jgas
 
Upvote 0
jgas said:
Oh yes, call me stupid now.....what and how would they have used the seal thing???? DUH.....?? :icon_scratch: jgas

I'm not sure if your asking or realizing... lol, So I'll explain quickly for others who might be wondering.

Simply, the lead seal would have been used to secure a wire used to wrap around a small bale of cloth/cotton, or used to close a bag or grain or mail (or anything else). The wires would be used like a twist-tie and then the lead would have been melted/pressed over the wire to secure the ends together. The seal would be marked to show ownership or for security reasons, or to indicate the new owner during shipping.

The best modern day example is the little plastic seal on your house's power meter.

See these other examples: http://ourpasthistory.com/Gallery/bagseals
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the enlightenment Montana...I appreciate the help in the search for knowledge... :laughing7: jgas
 
Upvote 0
MJ is correct, I think its the wire type of seal. I see rust.
 

Attachments

  • lead seals.webp
    lead seals.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 169
  • lead seals.webp
    lead seals.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 147
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
jgas, offhand I'd say it's the valve tubes to a trumpet or similar brass wind instrument.
I think this is solved. :icon_thumright: The tops of the tubes are threaded for the button assemblies or whatever they are called.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom