What's new

Lead Token or Weight

DavidBeard

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
507
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
1
Location
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
Been looking round a 'quiet' field today, only a few finds, Buckles, Thimble and Button remains, 1947 Sixpence, Another Horse, 2 Musket Balls - All of which I'll put into Today's Finds once I know what this next item is.........
Thinking it maybe a token but it is so thick (7mm) and only has design on one side. Very heavy so almost certain that its lead.
Here are the pics:

Lead-Token-Top-view.webp

Lead-Token-Side-view.webp

Lead-Token-Reverse-view.webp

Any ideas? Have you seen a token like this before? Or is it a small weight?
Best wishes,
David.
 
:hello: David I found one similar to yours on UK finds data base.

15th-17th Century wheight...uncertain use :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • 3Weight.webp
    3Weight.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 556
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:hello: David I found one similar to yours on UK finds data base.

15th-17th Century wheight...uncertain use :dontknow:
Pretty little things aren't they, I wonder what was weighed in such small quantity :icon_scratch: - I'll get it weighed correctly in the next couple of days and add it to my posting.
Just found this helpful page from the Colchester Treasure hunting site:
http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/weights.htm
 
Upvote 0
I agree, most likely a weight, but it might be a gaming piece :dontknow: Whatever, its a nice little find :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Here are some similar finds scroll down bottom left- "circa 16th/17th century lead tokens, single sided." http://www.pawnews.org/pdf\treasures.pdf
Thanks for that - Yes, could be a single sided Lead token - would be my first, have found plenty of the thin double sided ones around here.
I think this one is another for Rachel at Derby Museum ::)
Will keep you informed.
 
Upvote 0
This is weighing in at 23 grams, around 0.8 of an ounce - Still none the wiser :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom