Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been on vacation for a couple of weeks. The weather in NC did not cooperate, as we had a ton of rain.

However, I did manage to get two items off of my bucket list. I got my first skeleton key. It's a bit bent, but all in one piece. I also scored my first lead toy soldier. Hopefully someone can ID this one for me.

Smittyman took me out to one of his permissions on Saturday... and I got my first silver coin on 2016. Smittyman has lots of good permissions around town. I was also able to find a half dozen Wheaties, a 1975 Irish half penny... just a bit smaller than our small cent, and a junk St. Christopher.

Thanks for looking and best of luck on your hunts!

Attachments

• IMG_20160103_164523_388-1.jpg
    IMG_20160103_164523_388-1.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20160102_134906_144-1.jpg
    IMG_20160102_134906_144-1.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20160103_164643_377-1.jpg
    IMG_20160103_164643_377-1.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20151229_164922_965.jpg
    IMG_20151229_164922_965.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Upvote 23
Good job getting on the board for 2016 tom, should be another good year for ya!

Great scores on the key and soldier, Tom. Best I can determine by research in my old toy soldier reference books, you soldier is either "Officer with sword, moveable arm, cap," or "Bugler, movable arm, cap," (these two had the same body but different right arms,) made by American toy soldier company, Theodore Hahn, circa 1921. The Hahn soldiers were modeled after US Doughboys of WW1, of course. Happy Hunting, go find some more toy soldiers, there is never only "one" buried there! Sub 8-)

Lead Toy Soldier & Skeleton Key

That's a nice key Tom. Im glad to see from the response above that there is a resource for lead toys and/or toy soldiers. I have a couple I could love to figure an age on myself.

Cheers

Steve

That's a nice key Tom. Im glad to see from the response above that there is a resource for lead toys and/or toy soldiers. I have a couple I could love to figure an age on myself.

Cheers

Steve

Scrappy, I do not claim to be an expert in American toy soldier identification but I have a pretty good record on positive ID's. Send pix via private message and I will try to ID yours also. Sub 8-)

Thanks for the ID Sub! And, as far as I can tell, you ARE an expert at toy soldier ID!

CT some good finds. Looks like the CSM is starting off the year like usual. Just wondering how Smittyman pulled you out of the grocery store ? Seems like your new hobby of chatting up the manager is cutting into your finding time:laughing7:

theohahn.jpg Theodore Hahn Officer with sword in excellent condition. Cheers! Sub 8-)

Nice hunt Tom. I've found a few keys but no lead toys yet. Congrats on your first silver of the year.

HH, Relic Nut

Great finds. :thumbsup:

We live in a Victorian Village and yesterday I went to the Lumber Yard that has a small hardware section...they have the same exact keys for sale but are brass and wrapped in a bubble pack...(2 for $5.99) (future drops). Trade ya. :laughing7:

Last edited:
Congrats! You beat me to getting a skeleton key..:censored:. Good job, great start to the new year.

WTG Tom, like to see you scratched a couple off the list. You did way better than me. I tried to get a sweet permission to go out of 2015 with a bang and was shot down.. I then tried to start 2016 with an even bigger bang and four more permissions were denied. I ended up hunting an old (out of the way) church for an hour. I pulled two wheats from the 40s (they were about 8-9" deep, 2 clad quarters, 3 toy cars, and an old copper toilet float.

Love the skeleton key and soldier. Nice hunt!

Looks like you're on track!

About that St Christoper medal? I just bet it gave you a smile when you first discovered it, that alone has to be worth a bit more than "junk". ;)

Nice job Tom. I didn't know you were on vacation. I thought maybe you were visiting TBD in the hospital. It seems he has a " big " affliction that has been causing even the most experienced nurse to be a little curious?
1962 is absolutely the best year for Rosies...good things came in 1962:laughing7:

Nice finds Tom! Looks like you did alright! I would have rather hunted in the rain then worked in it!!!! :laughing7:

WTG Tom, like to see you scratched a couple off the list. You did way better than me. I tried to get a sweet permission to go out of 2015 with a bang and was shot down.. I then tried to start 2016 with an even bigger bang and four more permissions were denied. I ended up hunting an old (out of the way) church for an hour. I pulled two wheats from the 40s (they were about 8-9" deep, 2 clad quarters, 3 toy cars, and an old copper toilet float.

No sh** an old copper toilet float, still worth more than coppers.:)

Hey Tom liking the key and you've broken the ice for silver for the new season. The lead guy is a neat find, got a couple lead ones a while back and I still like digging up the lead toys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back