What's new

Leave the coins alone

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2006
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
66
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me pick up on a thread originally started by the forum poster formerly known as awhitster. But to be quite candid, unlike our esteemed colleague, when it comes to this topic I not overly concerned who I might offend. After all, the guilty parties know who they are and I know they represent a small percentage of CRHers.

Going through a box of halves last night, I see the reverse of an obvious proof coin. In fact, a very well preserved proof coin. Only to turn it over and see that this beautiful '77 proof had been ruined by someones marker. >:( Marked very decisively across JFK's face. >:(

There are many actual coin collectors out there trying to complete sets of coins, or series, who are always on the look out for a coin that may be in better condition than the one they currently have in their coin folder/album; regardless of the commonality of the date.

Marking coins does not do anyone any good. If you must mark something, mark the coin wrappers (though I suspect here may be some that collect old or unique coin wrappers), or keep a pad of paper with you to get the marking out of your system. But in the name of numismatic decency; leave the coins alone.

Your reject could be someone else on this forum's improved coin than what they already have, or worse yet ; a coin they still need.

Thanks, on behalf of all the actual coin collectors out here.
 
Upvote 0
ugotit22 said:
I dont mark coin.
If you do mark coins, good for you if thats wat you want to do.
If its that upsetting to you that people are doing it, stop CRH b/c its there right to do what they want.

You're correct, it's also my right to yell the "F" word at the top of my lungs in the McDonalds playplace, but I wouldn't do it out of respect to those that are enjoying the facility. A little common courtesy goes a long way.
 
gold fish said:
ugotit22 said:
I dont mark coin.
If you do mark coins, good for you if thats wat you want to do.
If its that upsetting to you that people are doing it, stop CRH b/c its there right to do what they want.

You're correct, it's also my right to yell the "F" word at the top of my lungs in the McDonalds playplace, but I wouldn't do it out of respect to those that are enjoying the facility. A little common courtesy goes a long way.
:thumbsup:
 
Yo dummy's, keep marking coins

Some people that mark coins are pure dumb. I found this one a few days ago. You can see what is left of the black mark going behind his ear. What is so special. The dumba$$ that marked it and tossed this Bi back didn't know it is a 40% SILVER PROOF. Probably got tired of seeing that silver looking edge and then finding out it was JUST a Bi. Now that is a messed up coin but it's a 40%. So markers, here is a good example of why not to mark coins......especially if you don't even know what bleep you are looking for.
 

Attachments

  • ScreenHunter_11.webp
    ScreenHunter_11.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 866
Just more poof to prove the point. I am just glad they waste there time marking rather than searching.
let the animals get caught up in the thrill of the marking.
let em feel like its going to somehow make a difference.
Let there small and week minded brains think that they are somehow letting the magic of the magic marker keep away the silver.

I am happy that they spend all this time doing it the more I think of it. less time for them to search.

wonder why they dont do it too dimes, nickels and zinc cents!
 
I don't mark coins and never will. I would mark the rolls but the banks here don't take in rolls. I was told by my bank that after I dump them there they would bag them up after they got enough and ship them off.
The thing about marking coins is that the marker is easy to remove. I really and truely don't see the harm in marking coins this way. It would sure beat having them mark coins this way than having them mark them in a way that permanently mark them(such as scratching, stamping or some other way that actually defaces the coin)..... which is what will happen when they find out their marks are being disolved in large quanities. Folks are going to mark coins so why not let them have marks that are easy to remove? I would much rather get a coin that has a marker swipe across the face than get one back that has a scratch for a mark.
 
I ran across a bunch that were marked with a knife. A big, deep gouge right across the face of the coin. I was absolutely irate when I got an UNC '82d, with a big ol' cut in it. Would have looked great in my book, but it went back into the dumps, so there you go, confirmation of marking putting clad coins back in circulation. Useless junk clad. I know what you mean fox, I got a '64 with a big red dot on the "T" in liberty, these people aren't just destructive, they're unintelligent and uneducated.
 
jewelerdave said:
let the animals get caught up in the thrill of the marking.
The best part was it was in a roll of dumps. I have been to the same area and picked up this CRHers dumps before, he puts his acct. # on the wrappers. I guess I beat him at his own game. I wonder how many others saw that mark and tossed it aside.
jewelerdave said:
let the animals get caught up in the thrill of the marking.
Kind of like lemmings following each other over the cliff, eh JD :tongue3:
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:
 
Permanent Marker does not wash off so easily when it has been on there for a while. Why should I have to wash my coins or scrub them because some inconsiderate person wanted to color a picture? This will only put further surface scratches on the coin. Do you see the problem people? DONT DO IT. Thanks.

-Golden Silver
 
i defend marking coins on a very limited basis.in some cases it can help u find out which service a bank is using etc. HOWEVER , i always mark ONLY A FEW,and i ONLY USE COINS THAT ARE ALREADY BADLY DISCOLORED OR SCRATCHED ALREADY.i agree anything more is graffitti.
 
if "CRISS CROCKER" was a CRH

This thread inspired me to put this together. I'd produce a Video if I could, but here is my script al la Chriss Crocker

To fully get this you might want to go to YouTube first, and check out his Video entitled

"LEAVE BRITTANYY ALONE"

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=leave+brittany+alone&search_type=

"LEAVE THE COINS ALONE"

HOW F....ING DARE ANY ONE OUT THERE MARK COINS......

AFTER ALL THEYV'E DONE FOR YOU.....UH HUH HUHU HU (crying)

They get spent,They get hoarded and collected,They have 3 F.....ing mints.They have been disappearing from circulation......And now there getting melted DOWN......

All you people care about is SILVER and making MONEY off of them.
(screaming and crying out) "THEY ARE COINS"

What you don't realize is coins are making you all this money, and all you do is write a bunch of crap on them.... They haven't been in circulation for years.

You people sing your song, give me more for a reason, cause all you people want is MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE. (screaming and crying) LEAVE THEM ALONE

(dramatic pause to wipe away the tears)

Your lucky they were even minted for you B......S ....... (crying) ... LEAVE THE COINS ALONE.....PLEASE

(dramatic pause to wipe away the tears)

Coin roll hunters talk about coin marking and Professionalism, and say if coin roll hunters were professional they would not be marking coins, no matter what.
Speaking of professionalism, since when is coin marking professional? to wantingly mark coins and defend their right to do so when coins are being marked and melted down and are disappearing from circulation....(crying).... LEAVE THE COINS ALONE.....PLEEEAASE

(dramatic pause to wipe away the tears)

Leave half dollar coins alone...RIGHT...NOW.......I MEAN IT.

Anyone who has a problem with coins you deal with ME........because there not well right now.......

(long dramatic pause to wipe away the tears crying holding hand to heart)

Leave coins alone.............


Criss Crocker.... anti coin marking CRH.............Hope you enjoyed this. Mojo :icon_jokercolor:
 

Attachments

  • criss crocker.webp
    criss crocker.webp
    10.1 KB · Views: 829
gold fish said:
ugotit22 said:
I dont mark coin.
If you do mark coins, good for you if thats wat you want to do.
If its that upsetting to you that people are doing it, stop CRH b/c its there right to do what they want.

You're correct, it's also my right to yell the "F" word at the top of my lungs in the McDonalds playplace, but I wouldn't do it out of respect to those that are enjoying the facility. A little common courtesy goes a long way.
If thats what you want to do, do it. I think all of you need to stop whinning. Your not helping your cuse by bitching and crying. In fact im confident some may start marking coins because of this post. The fact is, its part of the game. Dont hate the player hate the game. If some idiot wants to mark up the coins, ;et him. Because if you reall think your going to stop every CRH that marks up coins by bitching on an online forum im sorry to say your as ignorant as those "ANIMALS" marking.
Again i dont markand dont plan on it.
 
Yes, mojo, that was funny, REALLY funny. If you do figure out how to do video, or an overdub please, for the love of everything holy, repost that.
 
gold fish said:
Yes, mojo, that was funny, REALLY funny. If you do figure out how to do video, or an overdub please, for the love of everything holy, repost that.

Im pretty sure I can get my teenager to do it.

Mojo
 
I have a question for those that do mark the coins?

Why the heck do you waste your time?

If you get back your own coins, then what does that tell you? If you are ordering fed boxes, then you aren't going to get a whole roll of your dumps. You can look at the date just as fast as you look for your mark.

I just don't see the point. I think it hurts you more than it helps you.

-SWUSC
 
This subject has come up numerous times and has always created a stir each time.

Personally, I am not an advocate of marking coins because like many in here, I also keep collection books and am always looking to upgrade here and there when I can.

I am not saying I have never marked a coin because I have. I have marked probably 50 or so coins in my CRH'ing days. It was done not to see if I would be getting them back because you will get them back sooner or later. The coins I marked were to check a possible scenario for a system....another day. With marking only the 50 or so coins out of the thousand upon thousands I have searched.....I got my answer.

The 50 or so coins I marked were not coins you would want to put in a collection book....certainly not proofs or any silver either....ha!

My take is this.....if your feel like you just have to mark a coin....mark the ones that are in such bad shape that you would not put them into any book. If you are dumping in the same area as your source....there is no need to mark a coin....waste of time.
 
jewelerdave said:
Shorter JD:
>:( >:( >:( >:(
I be hatin' me some animalz...mark pennies...
:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Man, JD, I don't know what you got against animalz. Me, I luv animalz!
IMG_2125.webp
HPIM4551.webp
IMG_1721.webp

Dat do be a good idea 'bout markin' pennies and such. I'mma start doin' it. I missed a lot of the other stuff you talkin' 'bout. A lil' advice: try droppin' some knowledge in wit' all dat hatin' you be doin'. A few lines of logic > fo' paragraphs of hatin'. Check yo' self befo' ya' wreck yo' self! PEACE!!!
 
I can't figure out if you guys are really upset, or just spreading more anti-CRH propaganda.

To blindly mark coins while CRHing is like going out with a metal detector and ignoring the discriminator and literally digging up every hit, no matter how small or trivial it is.

One needs to have a purpose when marking coins. I personally use a tritium laced phosphor. This lets me use a geiger counter before opening a box to gauge just how many of my previously searched coins are in there. Anything more than 48.74% and the box goes back unopened. I used to use a radium based ink, but I suspect it was needlessly exposing others to radiation and now I can calculate how long ago I cashed in the coins based on the half-life of tritium (plus I ran out of the radium based paint). It's also pretty cool to look at the coins under a blacklight as they glow something fierce.

All joking aside. You guys are getting too emotional about marking coins. Get over it or start complaining about:

=Trick coins (can you imagine finding a '68D only to discover it's a scotch and soda coin)
=coins damaged by the counter/rolling equipment
=tellers that write on paper money
=people who bury coins
=people who send coins off to be melted
=people who spend coins that are worth more than face
=people who carry coins in their pocket wearing them down from an pristine MS-64 to a low VF
=blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,
etc.......
 
Gatzdon, I agree completely! As in any walk of life where there are groups of people, a percentage of any group is going to be emotionally unstable or psychologically fragile. When an ink mark on an old coin causes people to fly off the handle and launch into name calling rants, we are dealing with mental fragility. One guy has an old beat up proof with a supposed ink mark on it and he is upset. Well that "proof" was worth .50 with or without the ink mark. Someone else has a mark on a 64. That 64 with ink on it is worth the same as my best and shiniest 64,,,Melt Value!
The funniest part of all of this is that almost all of the whiners have admitted marking or melting coins themselves. However, they do it the "right way". Anyone else that marks is doing it the wrong way and is an animal. Oh well....
 
On another note

If people really wanted to fill their books with MS64 coins, instead of complaining, they should buy them from a coin dealer instead of trying to get them for FIFTY CENTS. out of rolls in circulation!

What have you done for your coin dealer lately?

Not that I care about them so much as they make plenty of money. It's just this post is comical to me, and should be moved to comedy central.

Mojo
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom