What's new

Leave the coins alone

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2006
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
66
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me pick up on a thread originally started by the forum poster formerly known as awhitster. But to be quite candid, unlike our esteemed colleague, when it comes to this topic I not overly concerned who I might offend. After all, the guilty parties know who they are and I know they represent a small percentage of CRHers.

Going through a box of halves last night, I see the reverse of an obvious proof coin. In fact, a very well preserved proof coin. Only to turn it over and see that this beautiful '77 proof had been ruined by someones marker. >:( Marked very decisively across JFK's face. >:(

There are many actual coin collectors out there trying to complete sets of coins, or series, who are always on the look out for a coin that may be in better condition than the one they currently have in their coin folder/album; regardless of the commonality of the date.

Marking coins does not do anyone any good. If you must mark something, mark the coin wrappers (though I suspect here may be some that collect old or unique coin wrappers), or keep a pad of paper with you to get the marking out of your system. But in the name of numismatic decency; leave the coins alone.

Your reject could be someone else on this forum's improved coin than what they already have, or worse yet ; a coin they still need.

Thanks, on behalf of all the actual coin collectors out here.
 
Upvote 0
I was searching a box of halves last night and came across 11 coins that had the number '24' written across JFK's face in black marker and another that had some name written on it that I could not read. It started with a 'B'. Please people, do NOT mark your coins!
 
Animals...it is a common practice for animals to piss on things to mark them as theres. Weather its graffiti on a building or on a historic item or piece of art these animals somehow think its justifiable to piss on everything or damage everything they touch...because everyone else is so impressed by what they do. This action has been classified as a mental disorder.

the problem with markers is they think that somehow this keeps new silver from entering the system. they do believe that by marking the coins they somehow control where the coins go, and what happens too them.
They do not have a large enough brain to realize that other people who hunt halves are going to "mess up there plan" These people really do think that once they are done with them, they are safe and out of site.

Perfect example. Mark and I in Colorado and a few others Buy from the loomis and dump on brinks
Ironicly there are some that just buy from brinks and cant figure out why there yeilds are so low. Some of these are markers, I bet they cant figure out how they get there coins back. But here is the thing.
NO AMOUNT OF MARKING COINS WILL STOP A BANK CUSTOMER WITH SILVER COINS FROM DEPOSITING THEM RIGHT ON TOP OR RIGHT BEFORE YOUR DEPOSIT/DUMP

I found a nice solution to getting rid of the marks though, and it will drive the markers nuts.
I just take my bucket of coins and dump in a couple gallons of a cleaner.
Acetone works well, so does E85 ethanol, its the cheapest. it removes the sharpie marks quite well.

For your proof I would suggest a bath of acetone, should take it right off.

But my opinion is screw these certifiably mentally retarded people who are animals who have to mark every coin they touch.
Anyone who defends they action admits they have this disorder.

I have only heard of a couple marks that make sense because EVERYONE is going to get there own coins back.
First one was marking where an error would be on a otherwise common date coin. makes sense so you dont loop the same ones over and over.
And for tracking, marking select coins. And only a few really crapy ones. If someone took bright pink spray paint and dumped one every time they dumped, If they ever got one back. They know. And only a few junk halves get the paint.

But really, all this does is proves that halves do circulate. Others do buy them, and spend them, and deposit them in different areas. None of us are big enough to control the monetary system. Look what Cat is going through, 60k in new halves were ordered from somewhere else to fill her demands. Some of them are dumps....but, the fact is, she will find silver in there too despite this...why, because no one can control when a silver depositor will deposit.
 
jewelerdave said:
Perfect example. Mark and I in Colorado and a few others Buy from the loomis and dump on brinks
Ironicly there are some that just buy from brinks and cant figure out why there yeilds are so low.

Wow how Ironic me and my gang just buy from Brinks and dump on Loomis. No need to mark them. Unless of course it's a proof coin that no coin shop wants.

Red Neck Coin Roll Hunter
 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was a fairly easy process for removing marker from coins.
 
So Dave, and I quote

"Mark and I in Colorado and a few others Buy from the loomis and dump on brinks
Ironicly there are some that just buy from brinks and cant figure out why there yeilds are so low."

"NO AMOUNT OF MARKING COINS WILL STOP A BANK CUSTOMER WITH SILVER COINS FROM DEPOSITING THEM RIGHT ON TOP OR RIGHT BEFORE YOUR DEPOSIT/DUMP"

Isn't this statement true for costumers who deposit at a bank that uses Brinks. or do they sort out the silver and send them to Loomis in Colorado?

You really are a card. Mojo
 
I am not a coin marker myself...what is the point I have maintained..it is either a keeper or not. However, I have been finding an unbelievable amount of marked coins. Hundreds in a single box...Hydrantman has brought this up before...green slasher, red slasher, purple slasher, only the bicentennials in green, black 24, various dates, etc...I have seen them all and I am quite sick and tired of it. Just my 50 cents worth.
 
Here's anotherone for ya. Coin collecting has gotten pretty popular in recent years, This means that moms dads and kids are pulling out coins for their collections, after all, you do need to get all those early 70's halves to complete the album. So while looking, they start running across big nasty marker slashes, THEY ARE NOT GOING TO PULL THOSE COINS OUT, they are going to throw them back, assuring that searched, garbage coins stay in the bags and boxes that the person marking KEEPS BUYING. Seriously, I totally agree with dave on this one, if you are too stupid to realize that you will eventually get your own dumps back, just quit buying coins. They aren't called "magic" markers because they have some supernatural ability to make the undesirable disappear. Oh, and to the jack-a$$ that marked up thurms proof, may your searches be blessed with 10,000,000 skunk boxes.
 
I've marked 1,000's of coinz and will mark 1,000's mo'. Strange how someone who thinks it's ethical to poach other's boxes, misleadingly mark half rolls indicating they're silver, and other various war of attrition techniques can't bring themselves to put a marker to Kennedeez mug. Ethics or cowardice? I hate gettin' a box wit' marked coinz, but the joy I get from knowing that some hater is gettin' my marked coinz, and 10X more than they gave me, helps me cope. PEACE!!!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5158.webp
    IMG_5158.webp
    37 KB · Views: 1,065
Patrick Earl- I know should just ignore your posts with your insidious language. In my opinion, it's not funny and by responding I am playing into your game. I just am bummed out that you are in the Coin Roll Hunting forum and spreading your "good cheer" to this group of otherwise polite and respectful folks.

I'm not saying it just to be politically correct but your language is demeaning and crude. I have lurked on here many times and never posted but I felt compelled to speak out. You are getting the attention you don't deserve.

I am all for the right to say what you want and how to say it but it works both ways so I feel equally justified to post my opinion as well. That's my two wheat cents on the subject.
 
It really isn't necessary to mark the coins, I agree. And I was just kidding about marking the proofs when I responded above as "RNCRH" in regards to the proof coin marking.

The proof coins are nice but unless they are absolutely prestine they really aren't worth much, I plan on saving them all unless they are damaged beyond reason. Probably only threw a dozen back and have over 200 of them now. I will most likely give them to my kids later on in life as I believe they will attain some value as a rarity many many years from now, given the newfound popularity of coin collecting. So far I haven't been able to sell any of them, not yet that is. I only asked a few dealers about them and they didn't even make an offer.
If a coin is marked by others (CRH) who actually knows their value, that should be telling you something. they are only worth 50 cents, that's all YOU paid for them. Otherwise they would have kept them.

I'll admit that I am guilty of putting a red dot in JFK's ear about 2 years ago on a number of coins for a one week period to see how long it would take to get them back, say about 5% 1 out of each roll of my coins searched that week. I went through 15 boxes that week so in total I Tagged about 750 ordinary run off the mill 50 cent pieces. Guilty as charged. I haven't got any back...I think... maybe 1 or 3 but was it my mark or somebody Else's? :icon_scratch:

I maneged to put together many full sets of AU coins despite all the ones I go through, Marks or not, and I do see thousands of them. The only sick feeling I get when I see them is that I know that at least a portion of are coins that have been dumped by someone else. And even then I still get some keepers.

With the volume that many of us go through, were not really looking for anything other than "SILVER" I get the same price for them even if they have a mark, scratch or gouge. We are looking for "SILVER".

Just this last week I got a couple of Proofs, Walkers, Ben's & 40%'s and a hand full of marked coins from the same box they all get put in a mixing bowl and are wrapped randomly. at Brinks, Loomis the Fed. Whoever No real rime or reason. Luck of the draw.

By the way Brinks has over 120 outlets across the nation. Covering almost every state in the continental USA. And Loomis may have just as many if not more and I do believe The Fed contracts Loomis to handle their coin here in Michigan. Does anyone ever see an armored car that says FEDERAL RESERVE on it? For example. Brinks has 15 outlets in Cal. Loomis 9, in Colorado Brinks has 1 outlet and Loomis has 5. do you really think that if everyone was dumping on Brinks they wouldn't get fed back to Loomis????????

As far as marking the paper rolls, most banks have to bag them before they ship them. Doesn't make much sense unless you figure your gonna get them back when some other CRH buys them and dumped them at a bank you haven't hit yet or you absentmindedly go to a bank you dumped at and find that the rolls have your mark on them ::) What do you do than tell them you don't want them after you made them go get them out of the vault. That's the kind of thing that will ruin this UH HUMM "HOBBY" for everyone.

Most (and I use the term loosly) Professional CRH's don't wrap them. They dump into a coin counting machine. I would give up if I had to wrap them.

Wow this got lengthy......

Patric Earl your a very funny guy.

Thanks, your humble servant. CRH Mojo
 
I don't think it is a big deal to mark coins. You know how many millions/billions of coins are in circulation? A few hundred thousand or even a few million marked coins isn't that big of a deal! You will eventually find that date you are missing. I think people have stated on this forum that they have melted many silver halves down. That seems to me a little more destructive than a simple sharpie mark which JD himself states will come off with a little acetone. It is kind of hard to bring back all of those melted halves and other silver coins though! They are gone forever, never to return into a collection long after we are all gone. I admit I mark the 1974D halves so I don't have to spend time looking at each one if they have my small sharpie mark on them.
 
thurmownator said:
Let me pick up on a thread originally started by the forum poster formerly known as awhitster. But to be quite candid, unlike our esteemed colleague, when it comes to this topic I not overly concerned who I might offend. After all, the guilty parties know who they are and I know they represent a small percentage of CRHers.
Thanks for bringing this subject back up. As you all well know, I am on the side that doesn't like to see coins marked. Back before I was the kinder, gentler poster I am now, I would have called coin markers idiots.
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:
 
mysterio said:
Patrick Earl- I know should just ignore your posts with your insidious language. In my opinion, it's not funny and by responding I am playing into your game. I just am bummed out that you are in the Coin Roll Hunting forum and spreading your "good cheer" to this group of otherwise polite and respectful folks.

I'm not saying it just to be politically correct but your language is demeaning and crude. I have lurked on here many times and never posted but I felt compelled to speak out. You are getting the attention you don't deserve.

I am all for the right to say what you want and how to say it but it works both ways so I feel equally justified to post my opinion as well. That's my two wheat cents on the subject.
gee whiz get over it, his posts are hilarious, if you don't like them then do not read them, fairly simple.
 
i never mark mine

HH
-GC
 
Gee whiz gang. I'm in tears. Can't we all just get along? After reading all this I fear the brotherhood ( and sisterhood) of the coin is falling apart! Think I'm going to go mark some more coins.
 
Patrick Earl, first off...love your posts man. I can only hope to have the type of success you have on roll hunting. As far as marking the coins I can't see the point. I wish it didn't happen because I love the look of all of them, silver or not. Somebody wrote that there are billions of unmarked coins so what is the big deal if a few get marked. Well between people melting them down, drilling holes in them, sanding them or grinding them down they are getting fewer and fewer. It all adds up folks. Patrick, if you hate opening up a roll where the coins have been uglified and it pisses you off...why do it to others? Just a question. I hate it too but I don't mark to retaliate. As for melting coins down. Its not much better. One day you may melt down something that is worth more as a coin! These are not just currency but pieces of history!! Sort out the silver and put the rest in circulation and get on with it, end of story. Peace.
 
I dont mark coin.
If you do mark coins, good for you if thats wat you want to do.
If its that upsetting to you that people are doing it, stop CRH b/c its there right to do what they want.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom