What's new

Leave the coins alone

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2006
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
66
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me pick up on a thread originally started by the forum poster formerly known as awhitster. But to be quite candid, unlike our esteemed colleague, when it comes to this topic I not overly concerned who I might offend. After all, the guilty parties know who they are and I know they represent a small percentage of CRHers.

Going through a box of halves last night, I see the reverse of an obvious proof coin. In fact, a very well preserved proof coin. Only to turn it over and see that this beautiful '77 proof had been ruined by someones marker. >:( Marked very decisively across JFK's face. >:(

There are many actual coin collectors out there trying to complete sets of coins, or series, who are always on the look out for a coin that may be in better condition than the one they currently have in their coin folder/album; regardless of the commonality of the date.

Marking coins does not do anyone any good. If you must mark something, mark the coin wrappers (though I suspect here may be some that collect old or unique coin wrappers), or keep a pad of paper with you to get the marking out of your system. But in the name of numismatic decency; leave the coins alone.

Your reject could be someone else on this forum's improved coin than what they already have, or worse yet ; a coin they still need.

Thanks, on behalf of all the actual coin collectors out here.
 
Upvote 0
I can't help but notice that the only people on this thread that advocate the marking of coins are the newbies. You know, the kind that, as yet, has no appreciation for honest coin collecting. I see all these posts about the great advice given on this website, and how those with more experience are so willing and able to help the members just starting out. Well, here is some of that advice, quit deliberately ruining coins that others may enjoy. Seriously, if someone eggs your house, do you just say "No big deal", because you can clean it right up ?? No, and why would you ?? On the same note, if there is a coin in the stuff you just searched that would eventually come into my possession, and help me out, why would you want to ruin that for me ??

P.S. -
coinmojo said:
If people really wanted to fill their books with MS64 coins, instead of complaining, they should buy them from a coin dealer instead of trying to get them for FIFTY CENTS. out of rolls in circulation!

this is one of the dumbest comments I've seen on this subject yet, if you feel that way, quit digging through boxes and take your broke self to a dealer, where you can easily buy silver halves for $7.50 a piece. They don't call it treasure hunting because you paid full price.
 
Some of you folks that don't want others marking coins are only making it worse on yourself. Be thankful that those folks put the coins back into circulation and the mark isn't as bad as it could be. You have insulted anyone that marks coins and continue to insult others that don't mark coins but are trying to show that it's not as bad as it could be. Folks will mark coins in more permanent ways because of this and alot of it will be done out of spite. You folks are trying to tell folks what to do with their own coins. I can see alot of people now: "Who is this person trying to tell me what I can and can't do with my own coins? Callings us animals and insulting us because of a marker mark that is easily removed. I will show them what a real mark looks like!" (Fires up the Dremel tool)

You can say they are your coins all you want but before they were your coins they were someone else's coins. The house analogy is not the same thing since the house is still in our possesion. Like I said I don't mark coins and never will, but I still see this post as doing more harm than good.

It's really not what alot of you folks said, but how you said it. You wouldn't gripe at and insult a person that you are trying to help how to collect coins, so why do it with this advice? Yep, some of us are newbies but we all collect for different reasons. I pull silver, but would like to collect other coins as well. The thing is I don't know what to look for as far as coins that are worth more than face value. If you really want to help newbies and the honest coin collecting world then make posts on what to look for with lots of pictures, instead of making a posts that insults alot of people.

And they don't call it treasure hunting because you always find the treasure, and especially treasure in mint condition.
 
SwampHunter said:
......... I will show them what a real mark looks like!" (Fires up the Dremel tool) .........


I'm thinking more along the lines of bulk copper plating. You can get the sulfuric acid from the auto store, the copper sulfate from the hardware store. Put the whole $500 bag of halves in a wire mesh bag. Put $25 of pennies in another wire mesh bag. Connect a 6v battery. Dip both bags for a few seconds. Can even add some sugar to brighten the copper, but it will still be an ugly finish due the speed and high voltage used.

Now, we will not only have permanently marked $500 in halves, but we will have destroyed the numismatic value of 3500 coins. That's what I call a double win.
 
Wonder how many people have figured out the only reason I say some of the things I do is to get a rise out of them! LOL


yeah...its that simple. I think its pointless and out of anyones control, But the matter lit a heck of a fire under some of you all. The entertainment value is priceless, Worth more than all the marked halves out there! LOL
 
Whenever I'm in Denver, I like to use a mix of nitric and sulfuric acid to dissolve about a pound each off of several $500 bags of halves. I figured that's just enough to throw off anyone trying to use a scale to check for silver rather than actually opening up the rolls.
 
gold fish said:
I can't help but notice that the only people on this thread that advocate the marking of coins are the newbies. You know, the kind that, as yet, has no appreciation for honest coin collecting. I see all these posts about the great advice given on this website, and how those with more experience are so willing and able to help the members just starting out. Well, here is some of that advice, quit deliberately ruining coins that others may enjoy. Seriously, if someone eggs your house, do you just say "No big deal", because you can clean it right up ?? No, and why would you ?? On the same note, if there is a coin in the stuff you just searched that would eventually come into my possession, and help me out, why would you want to ruin that for me ??

P.S. -
coinmojo said:
If people really wanted to fill their books with MS64 coins, instead of complaining, they should buy them from a coin dealer instead of trying to get them for FIFTY CENTS. out of rolls in circulation!

this is one of the dumbest comments I've seen on this subject yet, if you feel that way, quit digging through boxes and take your broke self to a dealer, where you can easily buy silver halves for $7.50 a piece. They don't call it treasure hunting because you paid full price.

"I know you are so what am I" :icon_jokercolor:

I'm talking about anyone just expecting to find MS64 coins in circulation. Take what you can get and throw the rest back. you will fill those holes 20 times over with nice coins if you keep at it. I gone through over a million half dollars by now and am sick of seeing proof like coins because I can't keep them all, or expect to make a profit off of them. Oh look another mintlike 1971D holy s*%#@ a another whole box of bicentennials.......
Really doesn't make any sense crying about it. If I find a silver coin with a mark on it I still get the same price for it and I don't have to remove the mark.

By the way it was a joke. And next time you quote me make sure you include the entire Quote
coinmojo said:
On another note

If people really wanted to fill their books with MS64 coins, instead of complaining, they should buy them from a coin dealer instead of trying to get them for FIFTY CENTS. out of rolls in circulation!

What have you done for your coin dealer lately?

Not that I care about them so much as they make plenty of money. It's just this post is comical to me, and should be moved to comedy central.

Mojo

You guys are cracking me wide with all this.
See my if Chriss Crocker were a CRH.... That's what all this whining reminds me of.

PEACE
 
Marking coins is like not filling holes in a public park. It's the greedy selfish attitude of "hey, I'm done with it why should I care". Such a great legacy and attitude to leave to the next generation. And you wonder whats wrong with kids today ?? With parents like that I'd be a jerk, too.
 
Picking up a full boxes at the bank $500
Pen for marking $3
Watching grown men bitching like women online,
PRICELESS
 
ugotit22 said:
Picking up a full boxes at the bank $500
Pen for marking $3
Watching gown men bitching like women online,
PRICELESS

I would think that men wearing gowns should sound like women.
 
gold fish said:
Marking coins is like not filling holes in a public park. It's the greedy selfish attitude of "hey, I'm done with it why should I care". Such a great legacy and attitude to leave to the next generation. And you wonder whats wrong with kids today ?? With parents like that I'd be a jerk, too.
Geez,,, let it go goldfish! When you start equating coin marking to the problem with kids today, then the thread is toast!
 
I found some nice NIFCs that someone had marked on the obverse, and I soaked them in rubbing alcohol for a bit and then gently wiped them with a soft cloth and the marks came off. I am sure that the wiping would eliminate any MS designation, but they still work fine for me.
 
GPURS said:
gold fish said:
Marking coins is like not filling holes in a public park. It's the greedy selfish attitude of "hey, I'm done with it why should I care". Such a great legacy and attitude to leave to the next generation. And you wonder whats wrong with kids today ?? With parents like that I'd be a jerk, too.
Geez,,, let it go goldfish! When you start equating coin marking to the problem with kids today, then the thread is toast!

I'm not equating marking coins to kid troubles, I'm saying that the 4 year old mentality of "MINE is a problem, and the attitude that you should just ruin something that may be special to someone else is definately indicative of kids spraypainting random cars. Hey, it's not gonna end up being theirs, why should they worry about it. It's not even the marking itself, if you wanna deface a junk coin, or another '71d, who cares. It's the attitude of all our modern social degenerates, that, if I don't have to deal with it it's not my problem.
 
I'm not equating marking coins to kid troubles, I'm saying that the 4 year old mentality of "MINE is a problem, and the attitude that you should just ruin something that may be special to someone else is definately indicative of kids spraypainting random cars. Hey, it's not gonna end up being theirs, why should they worry about it. It's not even the marking itself, if you wanna deface a junk coin, or another '71d, who cares. It's the attitude of all our modern social degenerates, that, if I don't have to deal with it it's not my problem.
[/quote]

But, but... that's the American way. Every generation before mine has had that attitude - how come not me? :( Why else would we have global warming, an ever growing crisis with gas and oil, and an inflation rates that goes up as much as Paris Hilton goes down?
And no I don't mark my coins, but if someone wants too, I say let em - there are about another billion 2001-d's, 1971's, and bicenntennials to replace ALL the ones they could ever realistically mark, and it's fast and simple to fix it. So, can we let this thread die now, please? I've got coins to find (lots of marked ones, I am sure :thumbsup:)
 
I can just see it now, standing next to the elongated cent machine

NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,
YOU CAN'T DESTROY THAT AU-58 2008D LINCOLN CENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FOR THE LOVE OF THE CHILDREN, PLEEEEAASE DOOOOON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
gold fish said:
ugotit22 said:
Picking up a full boxes at the bank $500
Pen for marking $3
Watching gown men bitching like women online,
PRICELESS

I would think that men wearing gowns should sound like women.
:tard:
 
Ok, this needs to end. Those who believe in marking coins will continue to do so. Those who don't believe in marking coins continue doing what your doing. Eventually the marked coins will come around to those that have marked them in the first place and then some. Maybe one that they need for the collection will be ruined or a silver coin seriously mangled. You never know. What you see in this forum is a mix of coin collectors and strictly silver gleaners. The difference is that the collectors for the most part care about coin conditions and although they may not need a particular coin will return it safely to circulation for someone who might need it. Those interested in silver and only silver will do what ever they want to the coins because there only thought is for the silver that they are taking away. No further discussion is needed because this is just how it is. Let's move on to a better subject.

Happy Hunting All
-Golden Silver
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom