Legendary Fort Found in Georgia

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Known as Fort Caroline, built by the French in southeast Georgia in 1564.

Oldest fortified settlement ever found in North America? Location of Fort Caroline may be in Georgia -- ScienceDaily

"Researchers have been searching for actual remains of Fort Caroline for more than 150 years but had not found the actual site until now, Crowe said. The fort was long thought to be located east of downtown Jacksonville, Fla., on the south bank of the St. Johns River. The Fort Caroline National Memorial is located just east of Jacksonville's Dames Point Bridge, which spans the river.However, Crowe and his co-author, Anita Spring, a professor emeritus of anthropology at the University of Florida, say that the legendary fort is actually located near the mouth of the Altamaha River in southeast Georgia."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool article. I like the "Science Daily". It also tells about another fort in Appalachia . So the oldest settlement by Europeans is in Ga not Fla and as usual the Spanish slaughtered everyone.

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool article. I like the "Science Daily". It also tells about another fort in Appalachia . So the oldest settlement by Europeans is in Ga not Fla and as usual the Spanish slaughtered everyone.

i had posted the article elsewhere as well, and it was pointed out that Charlesfort, on Parris Island, South Carolina, was established by French navigator Jean Ribault in 1562, making that the oldest fort.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Indians came out to welcome the Spaniards to their village and were killed and enslaved. There goes the neighborhood. The ultimate insult was they called the natives savages. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. What food they didn't eat, they destroyed and the survivors starved during the winter. I've seen something about this fort before but can't remember where. Thanks for posting it for us.

bronco

Mar 2, 2008
The Indians came out to welcome the Spaniards to their village and were killed and enslaved. There goes the neighborhood. The ultimate insult was they called the natives savages. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. What food they didn't eat, they destroyed and the survivors starved during the winter. I've seen something about this fort before but can't remember where. Thanks for posting it for us.

Or so you have been conditioned to believe

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ask a Native American how all that allowing in illegal immigrants worked out? History repeats itself because mankind does not change.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
"I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves." --John Wayne

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
"I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves." --John Wayne
Hollywood has produced some ignorant quotes, this displaying a new level of ignorance.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool , thanks for posting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread