What's new

Lenape Effigy?

Hmmm?

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2010
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern, NJ
Found near a stream. The area is said to have been a Lenape stomping ground. An eye is carved in to the stone along with fish scales? Your thoughts?
 

Attachments

  • Fish.webp
    Fish.webp
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,237
  • fish3.webp
    fish3.webp
    37 KB · Views: 1,928
Upvote 0
Hi Big...
Yes, my Post was moved to this Forum..
"To maintain the organization of the forum."
It belongs here anyway. ;D
 
Hi TModel..

Thank you so much for responding..
I'll definitely post more views of it, later today.

Terry
 
Thank you for taking a look SRV ;D


Artorius...

I found it in South Jersey...
Thank you so much for the information.
 
Thank you for the info Goat..

So glad that I found the right Forum for my finds.. :)
 
SRV said:
Sorry, but all I see is a naturally eroded stone with some Crinoid Fossils inclusions (what you think are scales).

I guess with enough imagination it could look like a fish, but like I have said hundreds of times, when an Indian decided to make an effigy of something they left no doubt in the mind of what they were trying to convey.

I agree with Steve. A nice rock, but just a rock.
 
TModel

This is the reverse side of the rock and also a pic of the back end.

I've also included a smaller pic of the front.
 

Attachments

  • Reverse side.webp
    Reverse side.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,305
  • back end.webp
    back end.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,302
  • Fish.webp
    Fish.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,298
Those just reinforce my thoughts on this being a natural stone. If an Indian was going to an effigy it would have been on both sides. It's just a rock that has eroded into that shape and nothing more. While cool looking, it is not an effigy or an artifact.
 
I would have thought it was an effigy too!! The start of one anyway.
 
junkboy said:
I would have thought it was an effigy too!! The start of one anyway.

Thanks Junkboy.. Glad I'm not the only one who did.. ;D
 
hello Hmmm? !! and welcome to Tnet. i can see a fish likeness in your rock! you will find out that a lot of Tneter`s think i am crazy be couse i can see things that they can not see in rocks and bone! just look at my advtar i was told it was a rock from the day i found it till now, but i have kelp it about fifty years, center of a point frame for over forty years. your fish may become as important to you as horse is to me, a very unique piece of rock. Terry
 
Good morning TModel..

Thank you for responding to my post.
Your find, does look like a horse!

I'm still learning what a true find is and is not.... I've done some reading on the various subjects..
But, I turn to Treasurenet to get the opinions of some of the more experienced "finders". ;D
I really appreciate their input.

I guess the difference is... some members actually take the time to explain why they feel it isn't a "Find" and what to look for in future finds... and some just say "It's a Rock".

Some members are very knowledgeable and I appreciate their input.
Sometimes you get shot down... and sometimes you get a little bit of encouragement to keep going.

I really enjoy the search, so I keep going. ;D

Thank you for the encouragement...
Terry
 
tmodel said:
hello Hmmm? !! and welcome to Tnet. i can see a fish likeness in your rock! you will find out that a lot of Tneter`s think i am crazy be couse i can see things that they can not see in rocks and bone! just look at my advtar i was told it was a rock from the day i found it till now, but i have kelp it about fifty years, center of a point frame for over forty years. your fish may become as important to you as horse is to me, a very unique piece of rock. Terry
You are not being fair. Its not treasure. Its just a funny rock. She wants the truth not someones childish imagination.


Believe me we see the "fish" as well as you do. The problem is that its not man made.
 
Hmmm? said:
Sometimes you get shot down... and sometimes you get a little bit of encouragement to keep going.

I really enjoy the search, so I keep going. ;D

Thank you for the encouragement...
Terry
Please dont give up. Im sure if you keep trying you will find something. :icon_thumright: Dont think of it as being "shot down." Nobody is putting you down.

Save the rock if you like it. Its an interesting piece and it may be "treasure" to you. But keep in mind that its not a man made artifact.
 
Hate to say it but i have found a lot of Native American artifacts and that in my opinion is just a rock
 
Oh... I'm sorry Mo.... I thought I marked this as "SOLVED".
Thanks for your opinion though. Seems to be the popular one.
 
The word " Lenape " is interesting. It is the southern literary description of the Delaware Indians who happen to be the only North American Indian group with a surviving oral history of the crossing of the Aleutian Island chain. The book is called the Walam Olum and it describes the migration of the Lenni Lenape Indians. Fortunately a brilliant Kentucky linguist deciphered the Lenape symbols in the mid 18th century with the help of the last Lenape chief. Look it up! As for the rock shown, I think it's a geo fact unfortunately.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom