Lesson Learned

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I decided to brave the 97 degree heat today and go down to my favorite spot to see if any new arrowheads or anything else interesting (same place I found a woolly mammoth tooth last Sept.) had washed up after our recent rains. Well by the footprints in the sand I realized I wasn't the only one with this idea. Dang it. I didn't find anything special but did get a few keepers and a few possibles. I realized after about a half an hour of walking down stream that I was very hot and sweating profusely. I Decided I was probably thirsty and reached for a drink and realized that it was sitting in my car about a mile back up river. Note to self: check your pack before you get too far from your vehicle. I decided to brave it out a little longer since I was aggravated at the fact that I didn't get there first and was getting skunked to boot. Ended up staying for about 1 1/2 hours and had to head for the car more or less empty handed and the muddy water was actually starting to look like it might not taste too bad. I decided no matter how good it might look at the moment I knew what was upstream from my location and decided I wasn't going to die of thirst so I wouldn't have to think about drinking downstream from the treatment plant.
Finally, exhausted and soaked through with sweat I get back to my car. Now the one thing I was proud of myself for was finding a nice shady spot to park. Did you all know that shade moves? Well I knew it too but just wasn't thinking and had to stand outside my car for about 5 minutes drinking my hot water so the steering wheel would cool off enough for me to drive home. Forgot about the dang metal seat belt latch (it got kinda hot too...ouch). Another note to self: Park where the shade is gonna be when you want to leave.
I hope some will learn from my mistakes today because this heat is nothing to mess around with. I am in pretty good shape and I feel like I have been run over by truck right now. HH all and be safe out there, Charlie

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Gotta have water!!!!! if anything else. Here in the deserts of CA I sometime carry a back pack canteen.Got to replace what you've losted.

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
I carry a camelback with me when I'm out, I fill it with water and freeze it, stays ice cold for hours and it being on your back keeps ya cool

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread